Andrea Pirlo

Meitux

Actually he left Milan after 2010-2011 season because didn't fit in Allegri's plans as far as i know. Which every way you see it its stupid to leave a player like Pirlo leave..

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

It was after 09/10 that Pep wanted him but Milan blocked the move. Then the following season Allegri's tactics were no longer using him to the best of his abilities, but there was also a contract dispute which contributed to him leaving too. So you guys are kinda right but that wasn't the whole story.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Allegri didn't want a reference point in the team for other teams to exploit, which i do understand. He also wanted a longer contract and in all honesty his performances before didn't really deserve it. Although i think he didn't perform at his level as everything went through a static ronaldinho then onto a static Ibrahimovic, that's why i can't stand teams built round forwards.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Before

pirlo5t.jpg

After
pirlo4554.jpg

Dinho

After two pretty poor seasons at Milan, he's been better than ever at Juventus. They built a team around him. Pogba, Vidal and Marchisio do all his running for him.

If only Xavi had the luxury of more athletic players around him.

XaviMessiGirl

Josh and I were actually discussing that earlier, whether Xavi has really declined all that much or if it's just because of the system/role. With Pirlo, Allegri wanted to use him ineffectively, so he looked to be on the decline when it was really found out to be the opposite after he moved to Juve. You can also see it with Gerrard basically being reborn in a new role. So it's possible that Xavi and his skill set are not agreeing with what Tata is instructing him to do.

That could actually be right, but unfortunately with the way things are going I don't see things changing unless Xavi asks to leave. Or he could just be declining, who knows.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Xavi has lost quite a bit physically, he doesn't move as much on the pitch nor does he have the same agility. With that said I'm sure he could still shine fairly consistently in the right role. He wouldn't have been able to play as well a few years ago with the body he has now. His role on the team relies on atleast some physical ability.

Running into space, being quick on the turn, looking to create danger etc. Against tight defences or in intense games, surrounded by weak, non physical players he's bound to struggle.

Paganinisrvnge

I could see Xavi being successful in a different system where his deficiencies are masked. Pirlo has Pogba and Vidal. Two young, strong, defensively capable, and technically adept midfielders. Iniesta is a genius and Busquets is class but that trio just can't cope with other world class midfielders. This is where we miss someone like Yaya or Keita which Pep ALWAYS used in away games to provide more defensive ability and some power in midfield.

Dinho

Josh and I were actually discussing that earlier, whether Xavi has really declined all that much or if it's just because of the system/role. With Pirlo, Allegri wanted to use him ineffectively, so he looked to be on the decline when it was really found out to be the opposite after he moved to Juve. You can also see it with Gerrard basically being reborn in a new role. So it's possible that Xavi and his skill set are not agreeing with what Tata is instructing him to do.

That could actually be right, but unfortunately with the way things are going I don't see things changing unless Xavi asks to leave. Or he could just be declining, who knows.

Busquets and Xavi are too similar in style. Both aren't particularly fast and lack forward drive. They're perfect in possession but don't suit it when teams play at a very high tempo in midfield against them. Power is what can kill them.

If he played in a 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 with more runners from midfield, or had someone like Koke or Vidal in the midfield with him, he'd thrive.

The two wide players need to be more prolific too, as Messi is often marked by three players in big games and this creates space elsewhere that should be better exploited by Neymar and Alexis. Messi is the best around though, so the team is rightfully more inclined to suit him ahead of Xavi.

Home of Barca Fans