9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paganinisrvnge

He will have at least 20 goals in all competitions by the end of the season. Something that took Alexis until his.third full season (no ban).

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
We brought Suarez for goals. He has what, 2 goals in 9 games or something. :lol: Subpar. Movement, workrate, those are things Alexis excels at. If he doesn't produce Eto'o-level of goals, that is 25-30 goals per season, he is sub par for me.

His overall play excelled in all games except the last two, thoroughly outshining Pedro/Neymar in that aspect despite being new here. And the whole striker must score goals dogma is rubbish. A striker is there to help make our attacking play decisive. He has been very creative and responsible for a lot of crucial moments (assisting Nerman in his first match in the Clasico, basically carrying us to a win against Almeria, and assisting the equalizer against PSG today). Messi hasn't just coincidentally happened upon consecutive hattrick form out of the blue either. Suarez's role in the attack has a big part to play. He helps boost his teammates performance and that of the whole team.

Saying a striker is only good if he is bagging goals is a primitive and distanced analysis. Look at what Benzema does for Madrid and Ronaldo. He's crucial in terms of creating space and goalscoring chances in the final third as a support player as well as directly assisting Ronaldo to boost his numbers. Even during spells earlier on this season and last when his finishing was dreadful, he was a key component of RM's attack. Suarez has done that to an even larger extent so far. He has been creating chances and danger, providing a type of vertical transition that we lacked without someone who could play with their back to goal. I don't doubt that he'll soon have a good goal understanding as well, confidence and momentum are important.

His form has fluctuated since the Valencia match but that is definitely allowed and has happened to every single one of our players this season. I don't get what your beef is because you certainly haven't provided strong justification other than that you love/miss Alexis.

el chilenito

For me honestly he hasnt shown anything near to his standards. His touches and passes are sometimes atrocious, he does makes up for in hunger I will give him that which I love, but the insane pricetag that he brought plus being the top scorer in the premier league, already established world class player that he is, I have to say his output has been less than stellar. Sure some people have been saying he hasnt played competitive football for 4 months but I dont buy that excuse. he still was allowed to practice with his barca teammates and also allowed to play friendlies plus his own practice by himself.Honestly I see the same thing I see sanchez in his first season as well, moments here and there but not to the standard he sets himself. the people saying that suarez so far is providing alot more I just dont see it. On his first season Sanchez was praised as well for his off the ball movements and ability to create space for messi to exploit. He also scored on his debut liga match and two goals on his debut cl match in his first season in barca and based on the amount of games both had so far in their respective season its pretty much equal in terms of goals+assist. What im saying that since suarez is obviously a more rounded and established world class player, his output so far is not merriting the hype. Same as the psg match baring the goal he looked out of place. Hopefully he would have more than the 15 goals scored debut season sanchez had.

Gohan

Super Saiyan
4 months of no football, new country, new league : 6 assists and 2 goals in 9 games. Do I need to say more?

utility73

I've been very satisfied with Suarez so far. Does he justify the huge implied price difference to Alexis? Maybe not, but he has it in him. In any way happy to have him on the team.

Empty

Only an idiot or a fool (or both?) cannot see what Suarez is bringing to the table.

Hint: it's about more than just goals.

He is a very different player compared to Alexis. Alexis did not bring anywhere near the important attributes Suarez gives us.

serghei

Saying a striker is only good if he is bagging goals is a primitive and distanced analysis.

I didn't add the only part. But 25 goals for a no 9 playing at Barca is a minimum. And goals are important. Eto'o also had a very well rounded game, but he was still a great goal scorer. Suarez was brought to Barca for 81 m. not because he works and tries hard, but because he is the Golden Boot in excercise. Excuse me for expecting a Golden Boot winner to score many goals.

Gohan

Super Saiyan
I didn't add the only part. But 25 goals for a no 9 playing at Barca is a minimum. And goals are important. Eto'o also had a very well rounded game, but he was still a great goal scorer. Suarez was brought to Barca for 81 m. not because he works and tries hard, but because he is the Golden Boot in excercise. Excuse me for expecting a Golden Boot winner to score many goals.

So, I guess you're setting the standards here?

Antimadridista1

I can't hate this player now that he plays for us. He gives his best... and I think that he learnt from his mistakes.
He is different player from the one he was at Liverpool in terms of attitude .

Maturity can only benefit him .

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
For me honestly he hasnt shown anything near to his standards. His touches and passes are sometimes atrocious, he does makes up for in hunger I will give him that which I love, but the insane pricetag that he brought plus being the top scorer in the premier league, already established world class player that he is, I have to say his output has been less than stellar. Sure some people have been saying he hasnt played competitive football for 4 months but I dont buy that excuse. he still was allowed to practice with his barca teammates and also allowed to play friendlies plus his own practice by himself.Honestly I see the same thing I see sanchez in his first season as well, moments here and there but not to the standard he sets himself. the people saying that suarez so far is providing alot more I just dont see it. On his first season Sanchez was praised as well for his off the ball movements and ability to create space for messi to exploit. He also scored on his debut liga match and two goals on his debut cl match in his first season in barca and based on the amount of games both had so far in their respective season its pretty much equal in terms of goals+assist. What im saying that since suarez is obviously a more rounded and established world class player, his output so far is not merriting the hype. Same as the psg match baring the goal he looked out of place. Hopefully he would have more than the 15 goals scored debut season sanchez had.

I totally agree. I mean it's good we stay positive about Suarez and the rest of our players, sometimes we go to extremes in our hating - but let's be a little objective about Suarez, based on his resume and price tag I expect much more very soon.

Schumi

Alexis had an atrocious CL record. The only game I can recall Sanchez scoring 2 goals in the CL was against Leverkusen away in the Last 16. Was that his CL debut? I don't think so. Sanchez failed to score any other CL knockout round goals except against punching bags Leverkusen.

Suarez is several levels above Alexis and time will demonstrate this fact more and more. He also had a few goals wrongly disallowed, Suarez.

F

Flavia

His overall play excelled in all games except the last two, thoroughly outshining Pedro/Neymar in that aspect despite being new here. And the whole striker must score goals dogma is rubbish. A striker is there to help make our attacking play decisive. He has been very creative and responsible for a lot of crucial moments (assisting Nerman in his first match in the Clasico, basically carrying us to a win against Almeria, and assisting the equalizer against PSG today). Messi hasn't just coincidentally happened upon consecutive hattrick form out of the blue either. Suarez's role in the attack has a big part to play. He helps boost his teammates performance and that of the whole team.

Saying a striker is only good if he is bagging goals is a primitive and distanced analysis. Look at what Benzema does for Madrid and Ronaldo. He's crucial in terms of creating space and goalscoring chances in the final third as a support player as well as directly assisting Ronaldo to boost his numbers. Even during spells earlier on this season and last when his finishing was dreadful, he was a key component of RM's attack. Suarez has done that to an even larger extent so far. He has been creating chances and danger, providing a type of vertical transition that we lacked without someone who could play with their back to goal. I don't doubt that he'll soon have a good goal understanding as well, confidence and momentum are important.

His form has fluctuated since the Valencia match but that is definitely allowed and has happened to every single one of our players this season. I don't get what your beef is because you certainly haven't provided strong justification other than that you love/miss Alexis.

Spot on. I wouldn't trade back Suarez for alexis, now that Luis is here.

Alik

The question isn't just trading Suarez back for Alexis, it's considering what else could have been done. Alexis could have been kept and we could have gotten a better RB and CB. Or we could have sold Alexis and gotten a more available winger in Reus. And we'd still have money left over to strengthen the midfield.

With regards to how we are currently playing, it's almost back to Messidependecia again. Also, the majority of us expected his (Messi's) goal stats to drop this season and his assist count to rise but it hasn't happened yet :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans