7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Sorin

Some of his turnovers in the first half, in middle of the pitch, lead to direct counters and big chances for Levante. How would anyone consider him the best is beyond me. He was the worst besides the 2 young guys in defense.

khaled_a_d

Some of his turnovers in the first half, in middle of the pitch, lead to direct counters and big chances for Levante. How would anyone consider him the best is beyond me. He was the worst besides the 2 young guys in defense.

Because he was the only one trying to make an impact on offense and create anything. Almost all of our dangerous plays came through him and if it wasn't for Malcom he could have changed the game with some of those passes.

Sorin

Because he was the only one trying to make an impact on offense and create anything. Almost all of our dangerous plays came through him and if it wasn't for Malcom he could have changed the game with some of those passes.

Yeah, 1 or 2 good passes a game does not make him our best player. That's the minimum he should do in his position. That's like me saying that Chumi had a good game because he blocked one or two attacks.

If we speak in ifs and buts how about if Levante would've scored from one of his many bad giveaways? Would he still be considered the best?

khaled_a_d

Yeah, 1 or 2 good passes a game does not make him our best player. That's the minimum he should do in his position. That's like me saying that Chumi had a good game because he blocked one or two attacks.

If we speak in ifs and buts how about if Levante would've scored from one of his many bad giveaways? Would he still be considered the best?

It wasn't 1 or 2, he made several of those. And those were defense breaking passes and not just "passes".
And Yes, has attacker he would still be considered having a good "half" if he made an assist or 2 even if has given few bad balls in return.

Sorin

It wasn't 1 or 2, he made several of those. And those were defense breaking passes and not just "passes".
And Yes, has attacker he would still be considered having a good "half" if he made an assist or 2 even if has given few bad balls in return.

Yeah, we've watched different matches. There are 2 good passes, and that was it. One for Malcom and one for Dembele. Not even really defense breaking when the whole defense is on the same line and close to the center of the pitch. Defense breaking is Messi bypassing several lines of defenders when they sit deep in their own half. But they are good passes nonetheless. Not several, just 2 over the whole damn game. He did nothing else other than losing the ball left right and center, shoot like a headless chicken and score a penalty. Maybe we have different expectations for the 3rd most expensive player in history.

"Few" bad balls? Dude please, I've watched the match. He lost the ball at least 5 times in easy situations in the first half alone. It's interesting how you use the words "several" and "few" though.

Last edited:

serghei

He had an okay-ish first half, and a horrible 2nd half.

But his energy levels are very low. At Liverpool he was much more lively in terms of movement. With us, he seems to be very very slow in the first 5-10m. of acceleration, like in a sluggish way. Don't think he understands too well what his role is, if there is any at all.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yeah, we've watched different matches. There are 2 good passes, and that was it. One for Malcom and one for Dembele. Not even really defense breaking when the whole defense is on the same line and close to the center of the pitch. Defense breaking is Messi bypassing several lines of defenders when they sit deep in their own half. But they are good passes nonetheless. Not several, just 2 over the whole damn game. He did nothing else other than losing the ball left right and center, shoot like a headless chicken and score a penalty. Maybe we have different expectations for the 3rd most expensive player in history.

"Few" bad balls? Dude please, I've watched the match. He lost the ball at least 5 times in easy situations in the first half alone. It's interesting how you use the words "several" and "few" though.

First thing I thought early in the match was that he clearly did not have his head on right, even his body language strongly suggested someone dejected - this was before the transfer speculation really picked up as I hadn't yet read or heard anything of substance.

Sorin

First thing I thought early in the match was that he clearly did not have his head on right, even his body language strongly suggested someone dejected - this was before the transfer speculation really picked up as I hadn't yet read or heard anything of substance.

That has been the case since he went to the bench. Whilst Valverde's man and squad management is truly awful, Coutinho's mentality is also to blame for his situation. Ok, the team doesn't play to his strengths, but his decision making in simple situations is suspect at best. Instead of simple passes he prefers to dribble and spin into no man's land. Sometimes instead of playing fast one twos at the edge of the opposition's box, he shoots the ball from every position, even out of balance. Now, that's not bad thing in a team that likes to score tap ins for most of the time, but he becomes too predictable to the point that defenders just line up to his right denying him of a clear cut way towards the goal.

I wouldn't sell him this summer. We simply have to change managers and see how he does under a coach that knows what he's doing attacking wise.

Also Valverde should not continue under any circumstances.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Valverde: "Dembélé and Coutinho can play together, yes. They didn't so much in recent games but that can of course change."

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

5ergio_Busquets

How about a swap deal Coutinho for Hazard?!
Hazard is much better but next summer he will only have one year left in his contract if he doesn't renew and Coutinho was a great player in the premiere league and is younger than Hazard. Hazard is probably the closest player to Iniesta in terms of style but is a better goal scorer and would suit the team much better than Coutinho.

FCBfan22

How about a swap deal Coutinho for Hazard?!
Hazard is much better but next summer he will only have one year left in his contract if he doesn't renew and Coutinho was a great player in the premiere league and is younger than Hazard. Hazard is probably the closest player to Iniesta in terms of style but is a better goal scorer and would suit the team much better than Coutinho.

Hazard and Iniesta are night and day...

Horatio

You're welcome
I believe in Coutinho. Simply wouldnt make sense for him to fail here. Maybe some mental issues going on at the moment but should be able to overcome.

Home of Barca Fans