6 - Carles Alena

God Serena

Certainly a better game than the ones so far. But still leaves a lot to be desired. Hard to put in words, but with him I feel there's always 'something' missing. Played braver today, which I liked.

What could he have done better? He put in a performance our midfield has been sorely lacking for months now, and it was his first ever La Liga start...

Jallo

Certainly a better game than the ones so far. But still leaves a lot to be desired. Hard to put in words, but with him I feel there's always 'something' missing. Played braver today, which I liked.

That was his first start in the league and has play in less than ten 1st division games. I hope he leaves a lot to be desired, he is a young kid who hasn’t shown his full game. But He just keeps getting better and better.

Last edited:

Riordon

Good performance. Surprised how he could adapt to the advanced CM position, always thought he was too offensive like Coutinho.

Cule4life

The Culest

Blonde hair? The sudden hankering for biscuits after hearing a players name?

henias

I wonder who... Didn't know you felt so empty without someone playing.

If not it would have been the "perfect game"!

khaled_a_d

Anyway, we have only 2 real CMs at Barça: Arthur and Alena. Plus Vidal who is a box to box. Rakitic isn't a CM anymore. Today when he got in, Barça played 4231 with Messi as CAM.

Depends on how you define a "CM"

For me, he is always been an AM, and I said it previously here that being a true CM will always be his biggest challenge because talent wise he has ton of it.
He always receives the ball in most advanced place between midfielders, many times even more advanced than some of our attackers, you will find him in opponents penalty area more than others.
That is why I believe when Messi play false 9 Alena is a perfect fit for midfield as he can make those attacking runs for Messi key pass and assists while doing his defensive work
But he needs a bit of improvement of understanding the patience needed for CM, the positioning and keeping outside of the box for longer than he desire.

cro-man

Alena performance was very brave. Didnt expect this attitude from him. Everything or nothing thats how i would describe it. Not being afraid of making mistakes and give your everything. The competition is here very hard and the only chance to take your place is this way.

Still seeing how valverde is choosing his midfield he wont have many chances especially because arthur is there too. I would consider a loan if he doesnt get enough playing time.

PhilS

He's developing. I see more of an upside with him than with so many of the others who have been tried in midfield over the last few seasons.

There is no reason to persist with a player just because he is young, the opportunities must go only to those who are most likely to thrive on this team. Dembele, of course, you can see the future star. Arthur, not sure about his ceiling, but he's already a valuable member of the team. Alena will be only a bit player this season, but I look forward to seeing his progress over the next couple of years.

Malcom needed to beat out Dembele or Coutinho, there is not room for all three. Coutinho is not at his best now, but Malcom has given no reason to be given more of a shot with this team.

YodaMaster

Very promising display from Alena. He was Barcelona's best midfielder yesterday.

Depends on how you define a "CM"

For me, he is always been an AM, and I said it previously here that being a true CM will always be his biggest challenge because talent wise he has ton of it.
He always receives the ball in most advanced place between midfielders, many times even more advanced than some of our attackers, you will find him in opponents penalty area more than others.
That is why I believe when Messi play false 9 Alena is a perfect fit for midfield as he can make those attacking runs for Messi key pass and assists while doing his defensive work
But he needs a bit of improvement of understanding the patience needed for CM, the positioning and keeping outside of the box for longer than he desire.

I agree.
Obviously Alena is bit more of an AM than CM. But I think there wouldn't be problems for him to fit in at midfield in 433. He'd be an Iniesta kind of CM (the most attack oriented amongst the 3 mids).
Plus he's from La Masia, hasn't he played in 433 as a midfielder with younger teams ?

Anyway, yesterday he showed that he's a perfect fit for the midfield. He offers something that nobody in the current squad offers and that's fast forward plays + a more offensive mind. With Rakitic on the field, we have a second DM, with Vidal we have a hard working box to box. Alena is the only AM/CM we have who is already disciplined enough to play in the midfield 3. Arthur being the controller.

Arthur+Alena was great yesterday. It's been a long time since Barça controlled so easily a team and dominated the midfield battle. Leganes scored the first time they got into Barça's box, and that happened because Leganes defender sent a long ball from defense to attack and Barça's defense had a brain fart. Nothing to do with midfield's fragility.

Something missed ? Backpasses to Piqué I guess ?

Home of Barca Fans