5 - Carles Puyol

khorne

I wouldn't mind if he goes to Milan. He is not in his peak and won't be anymore. Also he tends to injure a lot.

did you say that because puyol likes milan? because i swear, not just in this forum, whenever a legendary player seems to be declining, the first thing you hear is "maybe he should try his hand at milan"
It's like milan is the freaking retirement home of europe :lol:

DucdeOrléans

I hope it's bs, but I'm really worried.

1st he decided to have surgery on his knee out of the blue, then he went silent. These rumors started because of something, I doubt they took it out of thin air.

Bullshit as expected Flavia. The surgery was predicted was it not? It was just not made public. It has been known for a very long time that he had struggled with his knee. I do agree that the timing was bad in hindsight but that can happen. Nobody can predict the future.

False rumors start every single day. Especially in the Spanish press.

F

Flavia

Bullshit as expected Flavia. The surgery was predicted was it not? It was just not made public. It has been known for a very long time that he had struggled with his knee. I do agree that the timing was bad in hindsight but that can happen. Nobody can predict the future.

False rumors start every single day. Especially in the Spanish press.

He was supposed to have surgery later on, decided to do it on his own. His weird silence originated this rumor, but I knew he would say something :)

Vapor

I honestly believe that much of our seeming decline later this season is directly related to the absence of Puyol.

When Puyol first came back into the mix earlier in the season after his first injury, our level of play started increasing noticeably and drastically. It's hard to say that he was the sole reason, but I'm sure he was a big part of it.

Puyol brings a power, a confidence, a fire to our team that we miss without him. He is the veteran leadership that keeps us going and determined... his presence on the pitch makes such a vital difference. He is like our engine, our fuel that keeps us at that high energy, while players like Xavi Busquets and Iniesta keep us flowing and Messi keeps us striking/scoring.

Not to mention his play at CB is legendary. His smarts, his experience, his intuitive understanding of the game and his position is second to none and without him we are infinitely weaker. There was no way we could hope to beat the likes of Bayern with 20 year old rookie Bartra in the place of the legendary Captain Carles Puyol.

Does anyone know when he is expected to return?

Last edited:

Andrew M

I honestly believe that much of our seeming decline later this season is directly related to the absence of Puyol.

When Puyol first came back into the mix earlier in the season after his first injury, our level of play started increasing noticeably and drastically. It's hard to say that he was the sole reason, but I'm sure he was a big part of it.

Puyol brings a power, a confidence, a fire to our team that we miss without him. He is the veteran leadership that keeps us going and determined... his presence on the pitch makes such a vital difference. He is like our engine, our fuel that keeps us at that high energy, while players like Xavi Busquets and Iniesta keep us flowing and Messi keeps us striking/scoring.

Not to mention his play at CB is legendary. His smarts, his experience, his intuitive understanding of the game and his position is second to none and without him we are infinitely weaker. There was no way we could hope to beat the likes of Bayern with 20 year old rookie Bartra in the place of the legendary Captain Carles Puyol.

That's all well and good, but Puyol has been present when we've taken some real poundings. He was in the team when we lost 2-0 at the San Siro. When we won 4-0 in the return leg Mascherano was there and played very well. It sounds almost blasphemous, but I may consider playing Masch over Puyol at the moment. :cry:

Well, Puyol was playing when we lost 2-0 at the San Siro and lost 3-1 to RM. Masch was playing when we beat Milan 4-0 at Camp Nou (and did quite well besides that chance he gifted Niang). Neither should be starters any more though, Puyol is old, injury-prone, slow (which Pique is as well, which is part of the reason we've been so vulnerable to counter-attacks) and not what he used to be (still a great defender for someone so old though, and could be a great 3rd choice CB next season) and Masch is not a real CB. Which is why we need a new CB.

And IMO, the reason our level of play increased drastically after Puyol returned is because Pique returned as well. With those 2 missing and Masch off-form (and showing he's not a real CB), our defense was absolute shit. After those 2 came back, we had a semi-decent defense, at least. Like I said though, the Pique-Puyol pairing has its problems (both are slow, Puyol is old and not what he used to be, etc), as we saw in the 2-0 loss to Milan, the 3-1 loss to RM, etc.

Andrew M

Well, Puyol was playing when we lost 2-0 at the San Siro and lost 3-1 to RM. Masch was playing when we beat Milan 4-0 at Camp Nou (and did quite well besides that chance he gifted Niang). Neither should be starters any more though, Puyol is old, injury-prone, slow (which Pique is as well, which is part of the reason we've been so vulnerable to counter-attacks) and not what he used to be (still a great defender for someone so old though, and could be a great 3rd choice CB next season) and Masch is not a real CB. Which is why we need a new CB.

And IMO, the reason our level of play increased drastically after Puyol returned is because Pique returned as well. With those 2 missing and Masch off-form (and showing he's not a real CB), our defense was absolute shit. After those 2 came back, we had a semi-decent defense, at least. Like I said though, the Pique-Puyol pairing has its problems (both are slow, Puyol is old and not what he used to be, etc), as we saw in the 2-0 loss to Milan, the 3-1 loss to RM, etc.

Not like I had just posted that before or anything:rolleyes:

Vapor

Yea I hear what you guys are saying. But as far as motivation and spark, I think Puyol brings a lot. He's captain for a reason. I still think in general we are better with our lion heart captain in the back there. His time is coming sad to say, but I still think he has some more to offer the team in his last couple years or so if he sticks around, mostly mentally/as far as motivation goes.

Home of Barca Fans