22 - İlkay Gündoğan

O. Torres is Verratti/Koke? Say whaaaat? :VdB:
I explicitly stated that they're currently not on the same level, but that Torres has the potential to be in 2 years time, which IMO doesn't seem farfetched.

2 years ago, the same things would have been said if someone had suggested signing Verratti/Koke.

From a risk perspective, it seems to me that the probability that Gundogan won't recover his pre-injury form is higher than Torres becoming a WC player. Hence why I would rather have sign us Torres instead of Gundogan –*assuming that Atleti would be willing to sell.

Last edited:

mark1nhu

Why are we going after Gundogan when we can get Verratti/Koke for the same price… in the form of O.Torres. He's only 2 years young than V/K, which means that if he can emulate their progress, we can have a world class CM in 2 years time; or even as early as next season, considering that both V/K had their breakout seasons 2 years ago when they were the same age as Torres.

I would prefer Gundogan to Pogba, but there's a decent chance that he may never recover his pre-injury form. So why run the risk, when we have a younger and equally talented player in Torres.

In fact we cannot get Verratti even for more than 100M.

PSG will NEVER sell him to us.

Kohe321

I explicitly stated that they're currently not on the same level, but that Torres has the potential to be in 2 years time, which IMO doesn't seem farfetched.

2 years ago, the same things would have been said if someone had suggested signing Verratti/Koke.

From a risk perspective, it seems to me that the probability that Gundogan won't recover his pre-injury form is higher than Torres becoming a WC player. Hence why I would rather have sign us Torres instead of Gundogan –*assuming that Atleti would be willing to sell.

I'm all for signing Oliver Torres, but we need someone who can step in and be world class now and not in two years, so signing him as a supplementary midfielder in addition to Gundogan would be a good idea IMO. And it wouldn't cost that much either, and seeing as Gundogan is also quite young our midfield situation would be really solid for years to come - especially if Roberto can keep improving as a DM, perhaps becoming the main rotational player for Busquets.

Last edited:

Jombi

I we cant get Gungogan for 15m, then we should go for Allan from Udinese IMO.

Pogba for a gazillion euros risk bankrupting our club.

I'm all for signing Oliver Torres, but we need someone who can step in and be world class now and not in two years, so signing him as a supplementary midfielder in addition to Gundogan would be a good idea IMO. And it wouldn't cost that much either, and seeing as Gundogan is also quite young our midfield situation would be really solid for years to come - especially if Roberto can keep improving as a DM and rotate more with Busquets.
We could sign Gundogan, and if he doesn't regain his form – sign Torres a year later. But by that time it may simply be too late. Look at how much Koke would have cost if we had tried to buy him last summer when he was 22, and by the end of next season Torres will be 22 as well.

Signing both at the same time would leave us with 3 players competing for the same spot, and if you are looking for a player to have an immediate impact there's a decent chance that it won't be Gundogan, judging by his current form. Koke was already a starter for Atleti when he was 21 and if Torres can emulate his development, he can be a starter for us as early as next season.

G

Gasgas

Looks excellent in this video. How much of this reflects the reality though? His true form?

BBZ8800

Looks excellent in this video. How much of this reflects the reality though? His true form?

You should watch full matches or videos from single matches where all actions from a certain player are shown.
On these "best of" youtube videos, virtually any player looks like a Goat because you can see only his successful actions, and you don't see wrong passes or how he played over 90 Minutes.

Darko

He was the best midfielder in the world in BVB's CL final season imo. But it's been a long time since he's been in top form, would be a risky purchase.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
With less than a year in his contract? This is another Kroos situation...

Gundogan unlike Gotze has a consciense and loyalty, he said multiple times that he'll leave only for the club that offers a decent offer to his club (though it seems like he has a small preference for Barça), if he wanted he'd sign a new contract with 40M€ clause and that'll be it, but I guess he doesn't want to close many doors and let Dortmund negociate until they get what they'll judge to be a fair price.

So basically, the duration left on his contract doesn't matter, I believe 30-35M€ would be the absolute minimum to get him, which is a bargain if he gets his pre-injury form back, if he doesn't it'll be a flop no matter the price.

Home of Barca Fans