21 - Frenkie de Jong

khaled_a_d

This is why people need to take things easy with new players, high expectations lead to high disappointments when both aren't warranted.
FDJ had a good game yesterday, but when people were saying he is the best midfielder in the world during pre-season, they were setting themselves for disappointments whenever he is having good but not elite game.

Said it 2 weeks ago. To me it was clear things would be this way since the 2 Napoli games, he is way more natural as a CDM regista. To play him higher up as a CM is putting shackles on him and not vice versa, as many predicted.

Maybe under a different coach this wouldn't be the case and it could be more effective, but under Valverde I just can't see it happening. I also think, no matter the coach, his best position will always be as a CDM. It's just everything his skillset and behavior on the pitch aligns with.

I've been saying his position is DM for few months too, that being said we also need to understand that he adds different dynamics to the team than Busquets (he plays way more vertical than Sergio) that requires adjustment.
That was clear against Bilbao IMO, team dynamics is different and neither FDJ or his teammates are used to it. It will take time and it is normal that he will be integrated slowly with the team and will play in different positions (his versatility is supposed to be one of his main strength, I expect him to be used CM and even CB this season)

People wants everything to click so quick, and while Busquets should be phased out of starting line up it won't happen overnight. He has been one of the most important factors in Barca midfield for sometime. Probably the player who dictates our midfield tempo in past half decade (for better and worse) and team will need him in that regard from time to time.

abbbs97

Oh looks like we have a prepared excuse if every time he play bad. The scapegoat Valverde and out of position ��

Every single one of your posts on here is you mocking posters and defending Valverde. There are way too many trolls on here lately.

underoath

Banned
Every single one of your posts on here is you mocking posters and defending Valverde. There are way too many trolls on here lately.

Well I'm calling people's double standard here and a lot of BS excuse just to push a narrative for your favorite players. You people here act like you guys are better managers than an actual football managers. Act like those managers and people at the front office are some kind of an idiot that can't manage a football club. Let's be real here, people here don't have better knowledge than anyone who's working in a football club.

mc_lovin

If we win every game 5-2 I couldnt care less if hes playing as a winger. He didnt do much, but his pressing (along with Griezmann) was excellent.

DAMNit

If we win every game 5-2 I couldnt care less if hes playing as a winger. He didnt do much, but his pressing (along with Griezmann) was excellent.

That's not how football works. Eventually you are going to meet HQ opposition that will make you pay for his departmental lapses.

booge

Although might not reach the heights of Xavi & Iniesta, this player is on the level of the likes of Modric, Kroos, Rakitic, there I can see a future for him here.
Intelligent, strong & pacey.

Horatio

You're welcome
The kid has high footballing IQ, ridiculous technique and stamina. Also good composture. He will find a way to adapt some way or another. He will turn out great. Just give him time.

Consider that there is still a language barrier at play. But he will pickup spanish in no time which will help him truly fit in.

Last edited:

Andrew M

Although might not reach the heights of Xavi & Iniesta, this player is on the level of the likes of Modric, Kroos, Rakitic, there I can see a future for him here.
Intelligent, strong & pacey.

I wouldn't lump Modric in with Kroos and Rakitic. He is a Ballon d'Or winner ffs. He is in the company of Xavi and Iniesta

Home of Barca Fans