21 - Frenkie de Jong

Raketa10

Dumb statement since he played vs much stronger teams then Betis and dominated. He is played completely out of position. Might aswell not play him if you gonna stick him to the sideline.

At Ajax and dutch team he played 1 game as CM bunch as CB rest as DM.
This!

Oh really?! So playing for Barcelona is like playing for Ajax? He tended to drift on the left but mainly to cover for Alba who was our real left winger.

Don't understand why people like to put the blame on Valverde on FDJ's performance when he was played as a starter for 2 games in a row.

Dude stop talking bullshit. [MENTION=23946]AjaxAmsterdam[/MENTION] is 100% right regarding De Jong. Playing him in this position is a blasphemy.

Last edited:

AjaxAmsterdam

Oh really?! So playing for Barcelona is like playing for Ajax? He tended to drift on the left but mainly to cover for Alba who was our real left winger.

Don't understand why people like to put the blame on Valverde on FDJ's performance when he was played as a starter for 2 games in a row.

I would say playing for the Dutch team vs World Champ France is comparable or playing in a semi final of the CL yeah.

I do agree last week he wasnt good enough and was his chance to really take that position and make it his , this week he played for the team out of position
(I dont even blame Valverde some had to cover that flank and Frenkie had to do it)

fergus90

I’m not sure what all the complaining is about. Barca won 5-2 and he played fine. People expect miracles every game. He will adapt and he has all the tools to be great.

He was superb against Bayern in the group stage, Real Madrid, Juventus plus France and England. He gets high praise from every opposition coach and was man marked in his la liga debut vs Bilbao as a 22 year old debutant playing his first competitive game for his new club in a new country. That says all you need to know about his potential.

Fans will have to be patient and trust in him.

serghei

I think it's a given that he will not match his Ajax performances here under Valverde. We're basically not allowed to keep passing the ball in midfield until we find the killer pass, we release as soon as possible to the free men wide.

I think Alba has more touches than him this game.

malvolio

I would say playing for the Dutch team vs World Champ France is comparable or playing in a semi final of the CL yeah.

I do agree last week he wasnt good enough and was his chance to really take that position and make it his , this week he played for the team out of position
(I dont even blame Valverde some had to cover that flank and Frenkie had to do it)

This a new team, in a new country. He played some games with the Dutch team so was not a novice there, plus he had some of his buddies around.

It was clear we didn't have a left winger and players had to cover. The guy played well, this game, but the opposition was also shite. We have to be patient

Tackle

He was outshone by pretty much every other player player on the pitch tonight.

Just admit the preseason hype was a bit much and move on.

No need to blame the evil boogeyman Valverde again for De Jong's average performance tonight. That would be especially daft considering how well the team as a whole and most individual players played tonight.

Next time don't build up midfield talents as a top 5 midfielder of all-time before he has a chance to play an official match for the club. Unfair to the bloke.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Lol, you really are some guy aren't you? What's up [MENTION=23863]Tackle[/MENTION], why aren't you reminding us about how vital Rakitic is and how he still should be an undisputed starter for us?

fergus90

He was outshone by pretty much every other player player on the pitch tonight.

Just admit the preseason hype was a bit much and move on.

No need to blame the evil boogeyman Valverde again for De Jong's average performance tonight. That would be especially daft considering how well the team as a whole and most individual players played tonight.

Next time don't build up midfield talents as a top 5 midfielder of all-time before he has a chance to play an official match for the club. Unfair to the bloke.

Unfortunately its the fashion to build up players as the next x or y these days. Similarly people are discarded after a couple bad games too. Impossible to judge a guy after TWO games and a handful of pre season appearances.

AjaxAmsterdam

Unfortunately its the fashion to build up players as the next x or y these days. Similarly people are discarded after a couple bad games too. Impossible to judge a guy after TWO games and a handful of pre season appearances.

Well its reasonable to have a high expectation since he was a top 3 midfielder in the champions league last year and pretty much solely resurrected dutch football from literally the minute he came in against Peru.

fergus90

Well its reasonable to have a high expectation since he was a top 3 midfielder in the champions league last year and pretty much solely resurrected dutch football from literally the minute he came in against Peru.

Yes but he's in a foreign country with new teammates, he needs time to adapt. I have high expectations for him but also realistic that he will need time to settle in properly.

FC433

[tw]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">&#55358;&#56596; <a href="https://t.co/0nBSeJtQxs">pic.twitter.com/0nBSeJtQxs</a></p>— AFC Ajax &#55357;&#56462; (@TheEuropeanLad) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheEuropeanLad/status/1165735632070676481?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/tw]

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He did his job tactically. In other games he will play more centrally and receive the ball more. The fact that he can fulfill a such role tactically and do well bodes well for him, and Barca.

Home of Barca Fans