21 - Frenkie de Jong

Jombi

Rare to find players these days who can provide real midfield control with composure and intelligence. He bossed Germany's midfield today.

Donatello

Performed better than De ligt today.

Gotta give some credit to Ronald Koeman aswell. He has transformed the Dutch side.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Seems like he's made a full recovery from that broken ankle earlier this year, athletically speaking. Looks as fluid and mobile as ever. Having great games in the CL and against both France and Germany the last two world champions. This is in his very first appearances in the CL and playing for the NT too.

Ludicrous to imagine favoring a bang average player like Rabiot who looks overwhelmed in most of the significant games he's ever played.

Raketa10

I like him very much but IMHO he had an average game tonight. He lost his concentration few times while he failed to track his player in defense.

Gnidrologist

I didn't watch the match, but how come both Ds that we are considering great future stars of Barca didn't influence a 3:0 win over Germany? Netherlands have been absolute shit internationally in recent decade. Okay, Germany is also in sort of decline, they probably need some new blood, but they are still force to be reconned with given their experienced and decorated players. I can't imagine current Netherlands being carried by types of Blind or Depay. When i watched the France match it was obvious that subtle, but very influential contribution of De Jong was basically transforming team to a superior level. I'm less aware of De Light, but i assume that superior talent even on his bad day is prolly better than most of his competitors on a good one. The success of Ajax, which is basically a semi amateur is also probably something to do with having great assets.
Isn't this infantile criticism on young promising players like Arthur or De Jong a result of astronomic expectations? We WONT have players like Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busi, Puyol all in one team in near future.

D10S_JC

De Jong must be bought at all costs. He has that acceleration that we lack when we try to build from the back. Not to mention the passes between the lines.

Strangely enough De Ligt has been rather poor.
[tw]1051192989907861504[/tw]
His acceleration is impressive and unexpected. I literally think he is a Barca-type slow player before.:lol:

slvtn

Just watched the match to see what all the hype is about and must say I am impressed. This guy will be one of the most hunted players next summer. Should be on top of the clubs priority list.

Laplacian

Like a tall modric. He shouldn't be playing DM

A lot of people paint him as a DM so I initially thought him as so, but when you look at his skillset and instincts the guy is more of a thoroughbred CM. He's a waste in DM positions. Actually quite annoying seeing fans being desperate to get him just so they can shoehorn him to replace Fernandinho or Busquets.

khaled_a_d

A lot of people paint him as a DM so I initially thought him as so, but when you look at his skillset and instincts the guy is more of a thoroughbred CM. He's a waste in DM positions. Actually quite annoying seeing fans being desperate to get him just so they can shoehorn him to replace Fernandinho or Busquets.

I think he looked better fit for DM than CM, his best attributes is getting the ball from defense to midfield or wings which is great asset for DM. Especially if he signed for Barca, would really be hard -for whoever coaching us-to develop both rthur and FDJ at same time in CM position.

BarçaBarça

We will be pushing hard for him next summer, that is for sure. The question is how much he will cost, and I'm afraid we will make headlines due to the price once again.
It would be great with some lower-fee players who could strengthen us, but that is not possible in todays market it seems..

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think he could play both CM and DM very well interchangeably, and in many instances on the pitch Arthur can also occupy both zones. Both of them are very well rounded with their passing/playmaking and defensive pressure and positioning. Would be a nice step forward tactically to have a "positionless" midfield where the players aren't restricted to a single role. Frenkie would probably start deeper and, whenever he roams forward in buildup, Arthur can drop back and occupy the space.

After all that is the next step in the evolution of the sport. We've already seen it with strikers who can also function as playmakers, wingers who can play like forwards, fullbacks who can be pseudo-midfielders, etc. It's not just football either, in basketball many different players are starting to have hybrid positions and roles (Lebron, Ben Simmons, Giannis Antetokounmpo, etc.) and American football too (Todd Gurley and Kamara are running backs who are also basically slot receivers).

Positionless football is the future. Having both Arthur and Frenkie in our midfield would make me very confident on both ends, regardless of which player happens to occupy which space at any given time.

khaled_a_d

I think he could play both CM and DM very well interchangeably, and in many instances on the pitch Arthur can also occupy both zones. Both of them are very well rounded with their passing/playmaking and defensive pressure and positioning. Would be a nice step forward tactically to have a "positionless" midfield where the players aren't restricted to a single role. Frenkie would probably start deeper and, whenever he roams forward in buildup, Arthur can drop back and occupy the space.

While I feel you have exaggerated a bit in the next paragraphs I've to agree with that, FDJ seem like a DM who will fit perfectly if there is another guy ready to cover for him, which makes our game play more of a hybrid between 433 and 4213 and Arthur seem like a good fit for that role.
I've few concerns
1-Are we going to be able to develop both players at same time? I don't remember us developing two young players in same line at same time. This is a real concern for me and starting to feel that should pass on FDJ b/c of Arthur.
2-His rumored price tag, although unlike De Ligt I think FDJ might be available at reasonable price.
3-How they are going to handle defensive duties. Both looks decent defensively but we need more than that, they have the tools but defense in a lot of cases need more than that.

Home of Barca Fans