21 - Frenkie de Jong

serghei

What is on that Chelsea clip he really takes his time on the ball. He plays nice and easy. But it is not like "what will I do and waiting for help" slow players type.

He plays nice and easy with confidence on the ball. Waiting and holding the ball for the forward pass.

He also alway changes position for 1-2 passing and offers himself.

THis looks promising... My concern is what will be against A) high speed pressing B) parked bus.

I take a lot of faith in him and Arthur +3rd whoever (please no Roberto). Hope I am not wrong. Please make it happen.

It would be good for us if teams would start parking the bus again against us in the big games. It is a problem that they don't, and they actually go all out on us and fill our net with goals.

For me, now the problem is more that we fail to play our game when the other team is pressing us. Pretty strange thing to say for a Barcelona team, but actually Valverde turned us into mental midgets in terms of coping with pressing (Lucho did too to some extent). We used to be one of the teams you just don't go too attacking with, now we're the one elite side that you DO afford to go all guns blazing on because we play poor players under pressure in our midfield, and we leave the best one on the bench.

The priority is to use midfielders that are good passers, good movers, and don't shit themselves under pressure and under conditions of limited space. This simply means Arthur + De Jong in the vast majority of important games.

Last edited:

JerseyAddict

It would be good for us if teams would start parking the bus again against us in the big games. It is a problem that they don't, and they actually go all out on us and fill our net with goals.

For me, now the problem is more that we fail to play our game when the other team is pressing us. Pretty strange thing to say for a Barcelona team, but actually Valverde turned us into mental midgets in terms of coping with pressing (Lucho did too to some extent). We used to be one of the teams you just don't go too attacking with, now we're the one elite side that you DO afford to go all guns blazing on because we play poor players under pressure in our midfield, and we leave the best one on the bench.

The priority is to use midfielders that are good passers, good movers, and don't shit themselves under pressure and under conditions of limited space. This simply means Arthur + De Jong in the vast majority of important games.

Yes. As I said. He looks like someone who can stay on the ball under pressure long enough to make a forward pass and create a chance. Last year pressing our M was instant backpass.

FCBfan22

If Rakitić or Busquets starts instead of this guy, Valverde should be binned (well, that's in any case). This guy just oozes quality and is probably the fastest thinking midfielder in the world.

clemente

Did nothing impressive but probably will get praised a lot here, neither Dembele did anything but I predict to be a lot of bashing there.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Did nothing impressive but probably will get praised a lot here, neither Dembele did anything but I predict to be a lot of bashing there.

He played a lot of short line breaking passes, the same passes that Busi and Rakitic are too slow and cowardly to make these days. Due to the lack of movement he couldn't do much more.

Tackle

+1

Big fan of the bloke but he did nothing tonight for people to be raving about him in here.

He was much better against Chelsea. Average performance at best against Kobe.

CatalinR10

This guy thinks lightning fast. Even in this trash setup he looked like having 75% balls forward.

Isn't his position normally on the left ? Or am I mistaken.

mc_lovin

Imressive in terms of highlight scenes? No. But if you are not impressed by his technique and movement I dont know what sport you are watching. Hes one of those rare talents who make it seem absolutely effortless. Should have no problem to make the transition to CM if needed.

Tekkers

His movement off ball really prevents Barca from being trapped in their 1/3. Love how he attracts defenders and allows his teammates to push forward. However, I still wish that the CBs (Untiti today) would release the ball to him earlier, rather than lingering on the ball forever and eventually turning it over. You could get away with that when Rakitic was hiding behind players in midfield, but it’s a completely different story now

Campos

Frenkie likes to keep it simple (he's a DM afterall). Don't expect anything special from him. He has the quality to dribble past opponents. But he doesn't do it that often anymore.

He did it on a regular basis in his Jong Ajax(Ajax B) period. And his first season in the head squad at Ajax (when is mostly played as a CB).

But since he's playing as a DM. He likes to keep it simple. Don't know why..... Some people want him to do more than just playing 'simple'...
But we all know that playing simple is the hardest thing there is.

Just give him some time. He plays like he's playing here for years. Very comfortable on the ball. He can only get better and better.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans