21 - Frenkie de Jong

ASordidGod

LOL what a stupid argument! I am Croatian so I can not defend Rakitic? Dude I am a Croatian but I was the one who first said that I would sell Rakitic if a good offer comes this summer and if we can find a proper replacement. But saying that anyone can do what he does is the BIGGEST FUCKING BULLSHIT EVER! Stop embarrassing yourself. I will defend Rakitic but not because I am Croatian but because he really had a superb season and he deserves a bit of respect for what he did here in 2014/15 and 2017/18 season.

Let's not get carried away: he had a decent season, and is a good midfielder. But not good enough for us going forward, it's that simple. Certainly he's not good enough to be a guaranteed starter. He's too passive, refuses to break the lines with his passing sufficiently, is incapable of doing it with the ball at his feet, and is frankly overated defensively not to say incredibly slow. As a squad option great, but as I say, he's not good enough to be a starter, and to be honest, even accounting for his successful start, I don't know that he ever was. Back when we had prime Messi, Suarez, Neymar it was enough that he fulfilled a very specific, very limited role: but that time's passed, we need more from our midfield, a lot more, and he's not good enough to deliver it.

Vilarrubi

He was playing as a second DM player this last season. So how many RISKS did Busi take alongside him last season? As a second DM or double pivot your job is to play safe and not take a risk with majority of your passes. It's also a decision of a manager not player's alone. Did you even watch him with Sevilla? Ever? Do you watch him with Coratia? If you did you would know that not taking a risks is not his decision alone but it's also a clear result from a manager and coaching stuff. You want our midfielders to take more risks? OK but when we lose the ball and it results with counterattack who will run back in defense? Messi??? Dembele??? Suarez??? Coutinho??? All of those guys are pretty much ineffective in defense. We are playing like this because we must not because we don't like playing forward passes.

And regarding your comment about Eriksen that I embarrassed myself, sorry but I dodn't he clearly isn't on the level some of you are claiming he is, but we'll talk about him when he lift's his first trophy with Tottenham or some other bigger team or leads his team to some significant achievement.

I never said last season... you said that. I'm talking about Rakitic in general for Barca when he's played CM (Most of the time)

Have I watched him for Croatia.. hardly.

Did I watch him for Sevilla.. Yes! Check back on the posts when we signed him I wanted him here more than most!

Do Croatia and Sevilla play a more open game than Barca..... YES.

So it's okay to have a midfielder not take risks passing forward just on the basis of a potential counter attack? LOL Now that is ridiculous...

Raketa10

Let's not get carried away: he had a decent season, and is a good midfielder. But not good enough for us going forward, it's that simple. Certainly he's not good enough to be a guaranteed starter. He's too passive, refuses to break the lines with his passing sufficiently, is incapable of doing it with the ball at his feet, and is frankly overated defensively not to say incredibly slow. As a squad option great, but as I say, he's not good enough to be a starter, and to be honest, even accounting for his successful start, I don't know that he ever was. Back when we had prime Messi, Suarez, Neymar it was enough that he fulfilled a very specific, very limited role: but that time's passed, we need more from our midfield, a lot more, and he's not good enough to deliver it.

I never said that he is the perfect midfielder for Barca but I asked many of you who is? If we can replace him easily I am the first one who will say GO FOR IT! But who is that available player who can bench him so easily? If you want a replacement I am fine with that but please provide us with few names than. I am all in for Thago but as we all know he is injury prone and with buying him we'll still have to keep Rakitic. Arthur? De Jong? I am the first one who will be happy if we sign De Jong but HE NEEDS TIME. So again there is no short term solution.

Raketa10

I never said last season... you said that. I'm talking about Rakitic in general for Barca when he's played CM (Most of the time)

Have I watched him for Croatia.. hardly.

Did I watch him for Sevilla.. Yes! Check back on the posts when we signed him I wanted him here more than most!

Do Croatia and Sevilla play a more open game than Barca..... YES.

So it's okay to have a midfielder not take risks passing forward just on the basis of a potential counter attack? LOL Now that is ridiculous...

Why are you turning my words. I never said it's OK or that I like it I specifically said our team has limited capability in defense and because of that we can't take risk like some of you would want us to. I also said that I think his playing style is not only his decision but a decision from our coaching stuff also. So you basically expect from him to be a fantastic in defense and to break the lines as much as possible. Dude even Modric can't do that alone and I rate him much higher than Rakitic.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Why are you turning my words. I never said it's OK or that I like it I specifically said our team has limited capability in defense and because of that we can't take risk like some of you would want us to. I also said that I think his playing style is not only his decision but a decision from coaching stuff also.

I'm not turning any of your words... you seem to do that.

Your argument for our midfielders not to take more risks was because of potential counter attacks... nothing twisted about your words there at all.. you said it. Honestly you think our coaching staff have told him not to take risks because they are thinking we have limited capability in defence so just allow the midfield to stagnate. That's not the Barca way. There's a reason Messi has to drop deep so much and it shouldn't be like that.

Check this thread... http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/11662-4-Ivan-Rakitić/page22

I loved his through balls and forward passes at Sevilla and thought he would be able to do it at Barca but against tighter defences he can't.

Raketa10

I'm not turning any of your words... you seem to do that.

Your argument for our midfielders not to take more risks was because of potential counter attacks... nothing twisted about your words there at all.. you said it. Honestly you think our coaching staff have told him not to take risks because they are thinking we have limited capability in defence so just allow the midfield to stagnate. That's not the Barca way. There's a reason Messi has to drop deep so much and it shouldn't be like that.

Check this thread... http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/11662-4-Ivan-Rakitić/page22

I loved his through balls and forward passes at Sevilla and thought he would be able to do it at Barca but against tighter defences he can't.

So Rakitic is the reason Messi drops deep so much? Really? Are you really saying that? It has nothing to do with our different way of playing. Can you please explain how come Iniesta who is a pass master found much harder to provide that final forward pass during last few years than he did during our time with Pep or first year with Lucho???

And since he is not good enough can you please name few available midfielders (or just one) who would immediately resolve the problem we have?

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

So Rakitic is the reason Messi drops deep so much? Really? Are you really saying that? It has nothing to do with our different way of playing. Can you please explain how come Iniesta who is a pass master found much harder to provide that final forward pass during last few years than he did during our time with Pep or first year with Lucho???

The midfield is the reason yes, not just Rakitic. Also Messi is great starting from those positions.. but I never said he shouldn't do it at all.. he's doing it much more than he should do.

Iniesta of 4 years ago is a lot different to now, he makes more mistakes and isn't anywhere near as effective for finding that perfect forward pass... but still better at it than Rakitic. Don't worry I'm not just picking on your Rakitic... I feel it's the right time for Iniesta to go if Coutinho plays in his position.

Raketa10

The midfield is the reason yes, not just Rakitic. Also Messi is great starting from those positions.. but I never said he shouldn't do it at all.. he's doing it much more than he should do.

Iniesta of 4 years ago is a lot different to now, he makes more mistakes and isn't anywhere near as effective for finding that perfect forward pass... but still better at it than Rakitic. Don't worry I'm not just picking on your Rakitic... I feel it's the right time for Iniesta to go if Coutinho plays in his position.

My Rakitic :lol:

But let's be constructive? Who is a solution? I know you want to say Eriksen :D

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

My Rakitic :lol:

But let's be constructive? Who is a solution? I know you want to say Eriksen :D

Honestly I'm not sure.. Will we be playing 4-4-2.. 4-3-3..

A midfield of Coutinho-Busi-Thiago is probably not balanced enough. Although Coutinho and Thiago defensive and pressing skills are underrated, not saying they're the best though.

Do I think Eriksen could play well at CM? Yeah.. His passing and vision are some of the best.. This thing of "He's a CAM and couldn't play anywhere else" is for people who play FIFA too much. Just like Modric plays 10 for Croatia and Deep for Madrid, if the player has the ability he has it.

Who would you have?

Raketa10

Honestly I'm not sure.. Will we be playing 4-4-2.. 4-3-3..

A midfield of Coutinho-Busi-Thiago is probably not balanced enough. Although Coutinho and Thiago defensive and pressing skills are underrated, not saying they're the best though.

Do I think Eriksen could play well at CM? Yeah.. His passing and vision are some of the best.. This thing of "He's a CAM and couldn't play anywhere else" is for people who play FIFA too much. Just like Modric plays 10 for Croatia and Deep for Madrid, if the player has the ability he has it.

Who would you have?

Honestly I am not sure. If we look from technical and tactical perspective I would go for Thiago but only if we can get him for 50 mil which will most probably be impossible and than there is his injury record. It could be a good buy but he could get injured again and we might look like a fools than. I would opt for him since he can play deep but also more forward. Basically he can play in 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2. But I doubt we'll play 4-3-3 in the near future again.

Regarding Eriksen (lets forget about our "big game" argument and the fact that he would cost 150 mil), he for sure is an elite passer but my problem with him is that I don't see how to fit him with Coutinho here. As I said I doubt we'll play 4-3-3 so in 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 with Dembele and Coutinho on the flanks he should play much deeper with Busi and I am not sure if he can do that. I am affraid we would get slaughtered on counterattack against stronger teams. Also If you put him there you'll take away some of best things from his game his shot and passing capabilities because he would play much deeper than he is playing now. He does run a lot but one thing is running and another is defending and he would need to do that much more than he does now in Tottenham. He is totally different player than Modric is so IHMO it would be harder for him to adapt to more defensive role.

Some were mentioning Rabiot, I don't know, I never thought of him as a Barca quality so don't know what to say there, I might be wrong. Honestly I am not a fan of him.

Regarding Arthur and De Jong I hope they both come and prove themselves but as I said they will need time and so will Alena. Problem is I really don't see many immediate solutions out there.

Last edited:

Devils

[tw]1014139270041399296[/tw]

Says we had an agreement with the player but Ajax told us to FUCK OFF and we happily obliged.

No De Jong this summer.

khaled_a_d

Ajax knows they will sell cheap this year so hoping he will be more expensive next summer while they sell De Ligt in 2018 with his price sky high
They won't let us get a bargain from them

Home of Barca Fans