20 - Sergi Roberto

serghei

He played in the Roma fiasco if I recall correctly, because Valverde used long balls on him to win headers vs Kolarov. I remember specifically laughing very hard at that 'tactic'. Used him as a wide midfielder in a 4-4-2. And Roberto had a terrible game vs Madrid in the 2-2 last year where he was sent off for hitting Marcelo in the face leaving his team in 10 men for 70 mins.

But it's true that Roberto usually performs better in the clasicos, probably being a La Masia player means he knows best what these matches mean.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

He played in the Roma fiasco if I recall correctly, because Valverde used long balls on him to win headers vs Kolarov. I remember specifically laughing very hard at that 'tactic'. Used him as a wide midfielder in a 4-4-2. And Roberto had a terrible game vs Madrid in the 2-2 last year.

Well, I have pretty much tried to erase that horrendous game from my memory (although that Kolarov goal is the only thing that I recall from that game) and I don't really bother to look whether he played or not.

The point being is that Roberto tends to perform great (overall) in clásicos and that he usually performs well in top games too. He is not a world beater but neither is Semedo really. I expected much more from Semedo here almost 2 seasons into his Barça career. He is approaching 26 years so not exactly a youngster either. I believe that Semedo has room for improvement but we could do better on that RB position. Finding another Alves won't happen anytime soon but less could do.

When Roberto has a great game he is almost as dangerous offensively as Alba is. That gives us two flanks to create from rather than the one (left one) we tend to have whenever Dembélé is not playing as a RW. This element cannot be underestimated. Yet to see Semedo making the entire "right flank" his. I want to see a more daring Semedo offensively as he has the tools for his. In particular pace. I don't know if it is a mental thing or if he is just not good enough technically or in terms of combining with other players. Roberto is clearly better than him in this rather crucial department. On the other hand Roberto is a makeshift RB and lacks (often) the positioning (although it is getting better naturally) and the brute pace (although he is not slow by any means) and strength of Semedo.

So we are back to square one. Play them depending on their match fitness level, their form, who they will play with next to (Piqué, Rakitic or Dembélé upfront) and what the strengths and weaknesses of our opponent are.

Last edited:

Danic

I think they both deserve this spot in their own way. Guess valverde actually thinks the same. We want to play mpre offensive roberto starts, other way round semedo starts.
COULD be also a reason why semedo is often more cautious. Tactical advise from valverde.
And people still take the roma game to prove anything where the whole team was a disaster?!

Last edited:

ebieymjunior

I want to see two more situations: swap Semedo and Roberto in both Classico situation
(i.e. Semedo with Rakitic and whole team defending, and Roberto with no help in defense)

Genuinely want to see what would happen with Semedo's offense and Roberto's defense

biraboyz

Banned
:lol: @ Semedo fanboys needs to be put on suicide watch. They can't accept that Semedo got destroyed by a teenager while Roberto had better performance against the teenager. Excuses Excuses :lol:

CatalinR10

:lol: @ Semedo fanboys needs to be put on suicide watch. They can't accept that Semedo got destroyed by a teenager while Roberto had better performance against the teenager. Excuses Excuses :lol:

Yeah Valverde asked for Rakitic and Pique to help bob big time while for Semedo he knew he is much better and left all the flank to him.

biraboyz

Banned
What a bunch of lying fanboys, as i expected and I'm not surprised after the match i knew what i will expect here :lol: Maybe not because of his bad decision making and positioning the teenager destroyed him because his teammates didn't help him and yet you guys call him a better one on one defender :lol:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/1Djvbkp4PWM[/youtube]

Pretty clear he gets a lot of help but because of his bad positioning that's why he got wrecked. The teenager almost destroyed Pique and Semedo in the last clip

Last edited:

xXKonan

Dude you have to be the most obnoxious and most insecure Sergi Roberto fanboy to ever grace this forum.

Everyone that disagrees with you is somehow a Semedo Fanboy. How you haven't been banned yet is truly something.

vinni

Its all good. I bet Valverde is happy about the rb position. When both are fit we got two good but different options with little to no fatigue problems

Joan

Dude you have to be the most obnoxious and most insecure Sergi Roberto fanboy to ever grace this forum.

Everyone that disagrees with you is somehow a Semedo Fanboy. How you haven't been banned yet is truly something.

Loool, why would he be banned? Tons of posters ahead waiting..

xXKonan

Loool, why would he be banned? Tons of posters ahead waiting..
Should go through his post history.

He's about as bad or even worse than some of the trolls on here. He only exists to come in and try to start fucking flame wars because of his insecurity when it comes to Roberto vs Semedo.

He brings no arguments to the table. It's always "LOL FANBOYS" when someone actually tries to debate him.

Zidane82

Pique and Lenglet had a big say in the defensive masterclass .. Roberto played a minor part at best .. still gave the call away and still regularly caught out of position

Joan

Pique and Lenglet had a big say in the defensive masterclass .. Roberto played a minor part at best .. still gave the call away and still regularly caught out of position

Bs. Roberto had a great game. Help or without it. He individually did very well and was, for sure, not caught out of position 'regularly'.

Joan

Should go through his post history.

He's about as bad or even worse than some of the trolls on here. He only exists to come in and try to start fucking flame wars because of his insecurity when it comes to Roberto vs Semedo.

He brings no arguments to the table. It's always "LOL FANBOYS" when someone actually tries to debate him.

That is not correct. He's the one always called out for being a fanboy. In recent posts he gave some links, gifs and so on... anyways, even if it's too much, banning him and letting trolls like Jair wander around is a disgrace.

Home of Barca Fans