20 - Sergi Roberto

SG-7

Out of curiosity...can someone tell me the difference between Robertos punch on Marcelo....and Ramos Punch on Suarez in the last clasico in Bernabau?

One got a straight red and one got a yellow.

xXKonan

With all the minutes he's been getting, does he even get selected by Lopetegui ??
He's behind a lot of players in the Midfield for Spain at RB he's behind Carvajal,Odriozola and Azpilicueta.

I think his only real shot is the RB spot but it will take some injuries to those three if he's going to have a chance.

booge

I've got to say he has improved alot.

It's as if he has got over some sort of inferior complexity and believes he not only belongs with the top players but can even boss them around on the field through his plays.

There was a time where people were wishing him away but he was young enough to learn where some other young hopefuls have not.

The one that I remember the most is Tello. I really feel he had so much going for him as a winger at the club.

Joan

Yes, it would be nice to see replays. During the match there was poor visibility. I'm sure Marcelo provoked him. It would be nice to see the whole action.

I found it but it could be better, I guess. [tw]993216263341125632[/tw]

Horatio

You're welcome
Thought he played really well for the duration he was on. He really looked like an impactful player against Madrid.

ebieymjunior

I actually see the opposite. Semedo tends to hesitate a split second too long as soon as he sees the overlap coming and loses concentration on both marks. It may be due to not being fully integrated into the system, but he does make up sometimes with his pace. I still find it a glaring issue that needs to be addressed. He doesn't move across to cover the overlap even when Rakitic is supporting him on occasions

I was talking about positioning. Semedo is already in the right position for a RB during defense - when he's not running back (whereas Roberto almost never is). It also takes playing time together for teammates to sense who covers who and who runs behind etc.
Ideally Piqué, having an overview of the whole field, would be the one to coordinate the whole defense system (all players during defense phase - via communication). Watch any match of Puyol to see him do that. It's really a beautiful sight to behold when done right.

khaled_a_d

Maybe Asensio didn't stay on the left because of Semedo? Just maybe?

Doubt it, but we can never know

Roberto doesn't know how to position himself in defense.
Every time I see him play, I can tell when people are going to go past him (be it one-on-one or two-on-one), and it happens every time, while when Semedo is playing, I can tell his position is perfect and I'm more assured.

Not in Sunday's game IMHO, Roberto held his own but RM attacked badly from that area trying to exploit Coutinho lack of defense and Roberto always found himself 2 vs 1 situation. Can't blame him for that situations at all.
Semedo found himself against Marcelo alone, unlike Roberto with Cr7 & Marcelo, that is huge difference and it is unfair to compare both performances without taking that into account

Truthist

When Roberto was on there were 11 v 11 so Semedo was already disadvantaged numerically and besides Ronaldo was replaced by Asensio who is probably more direct than Ronaldo and doesn't drift centrally too.

Last edited:

SG-7

I think Semedo is a better defensive player but lacks a little bit in offense (ie link up play and crosses). Roberto is the opposite of that...lacks in defense but makes it up in offense

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think Semedo is a better defensive player but lacks a little bit in offense (ie link up play and crosses). Roberto is the opposite of that...lacks in defense but makes it up in offense

Attacking was actually Semedo's strongest suit. Kinda hard to integrate into the team and your team mates' movement if you play two games and are benched for the next five.

It depends on Valverde now. If he gives Semedo a chance next season from the start I think he'll have a breakout year and make the position his own.

I don't get the whole rage about him not being a RB, Kimmich is a midfielder who plays a RB, Parteynow plays RB for AM too, Fabinho plays both positions and there is plenty of other examples. This is like Mascherano being called "not a CB" which lasted for over half decade.

Difference here is that Roberto is not what Mascherano was for us as a CB. He's also not like Kimmich for Bayern who is far superior both in attack and defence. Fabinho plays both position, but won't start at RB for most teams and Partey did it for a couple of games.

There is a difference between doing something just because others are able to do it as well, and being able to do it very well consistently. Even the Barca management don't rate Roberto as a RB considering they paid a premium for a RB. If they did, they would have gotten a good, depth player for far less instead like Bayern will considering Kimmich has solidified himself as Lahm's successor having played amazingly consistently against every opposition with Germany and Bayern.

He has a few good games that papers over all the cracks. It did last year and it's the same this season.

In Spain he's the 4th choice RB. Carvajal, Odriozola and Azpilicueta are all ahead of him and this is by a manager who managed his age group. He's not that good and we should be able to do better.

Had Roberto not been from La Masia he never would have played at RB for so long.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Our players need to learn from the Real Madrid ones. Need to be more subtle. The next time we play a Clasico Roberto should punch Marcelo in the face during a corner like Cristiano does so often to many players.

Home of Barca Fans