20 - Sergi Roberto

khaled_a_d

I don't get the whole rage about him not being a RB, Kimmich is a midfielder who plays a RB, Parteynow plays RB for AM too, Fabinho plays both positions and there is plenty of other examples. This is like Mascherano being called "not a CB" which lasted for over half decade.

Sport gave Semedo and Roberto the same rating :6

This is the problem. Local fans and press support the local boy.

This is a fair assessment actually. Roberto was very good before the red card. Involved offensively even more than our RW, calm under pressure. He was gonna be considered as one of the top players of the game if it wasn't for the red card
Also Semedo had it way easier, in 1st half Marcelo,Cr7 and Benzema were all targeting our right side and Cou didn't help much. Roberto was always left in 2 against 1 situations and considering that he was doing well in defense.
In 2nd half Cr7 out (thank you Pique) and Benzema stayed in middle or moved more to right sometimes , Asensio didn't stay on left and Rakitic was told to support Semedo and he did more than Coutinho.

sabby

Really disappointed with his temper, I would have expected that from Alba not from him. He should have known better, especially c*nts like Marcelo/Ramos who will always try to provoke.

Neymessi

He will definitely do a good job at RM if played. He can do anything raki can and even better. In fact he will be a perfect raki type player who will do defensive duties.

EV is making it worse for us playing him at RB while an ACTUAL RB rots on the bench. Raki was awesome last night but over the course of the season I am 100% sure roberto will be better than raki. This is what I hope our starting 11 is next season, which it most probably won't.

----------Mats---------
semedo-pique-umtiti-alba
---------busi-----------
roberto----------coutinhio
messi--suarez/griezz--dembele

ebieymjunior

I don't get the whole rage about him not being a RB, Kimmich is a midfielder who plays a RB, Parteynow plays RB for AM too, Fabinho plays both positions and there is plenty of other examples. This is like Mascherano being called "not a CB" which lasted for over half decade.

This is a fair assessment actually. Roberto was very good before the red card. Involved offensively even more than our RW, calm under pressure. He was gonna be considered as one of the top players of the game if it wasn't for the red card
Also Semedo had it way easier, in 1st half Marcelo,Cr7 and Benzema were all targeting our right side and Cou didn't help much. Roberto was always left in 2 against 1 situations and considering that he was doing well in defense.
In 2nd half Cr7 out (thank you Pique) and Benzema stayed in middle or moved more to right sometimes , Asensio didn't stay on left and Rakitic was told to support Semedo and he did more than Coutinho.

Maybe Asensio didn't stay on the left because of Semedo? Just maybe?
Having played both at RB/LB and CB, I think the difference between Semedo and Roberto is that Roberto doesn't know how to position himself in defense.
Every time I see him play, I can tell when people are going to go past him (be it one-on-one or two-on-one), and it happens every time, while when Semedo is playing, I can tell his position is perfect and I'm more assured.
Puyol was the best at this. Umtiti too, until recently, and that's because he's tired (for a defender his age, he's playing too many games in a season). Piqué has also improved immensely in his positioning.

Porque

Roberto is a good player to have. I liked him at the beginning of the season in midfield. I think in a midfield 3 he is a good box-to-box option. I would prefer a more balanced formation with less space conceded than our 442. We know Roberto can be a valid backup plan at DMC and RB.

But let him home his craft in midfield as the box-to-box option along with Paulinho and the rotation player when Semedo is injured/suspended and when Busquets needs a rest.

I don't see longevity in the way Valverde wants to set up. It is quite dated and Roma/Madrids adaptions to it have cast its vulnerabilities.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Maybe Asensio didn't stay on the left because of Semedo? Just maybe?
Having played both at RB/LB and CB, I think the difference between Semedo and Roberto is that Roberto doesn't know how to position himself in defense.
Every time I see him play, I can tell when people are going to go past him (be it one-on-one or two-on-one), and it happens every time, while when Semedo is playing, I can tell his position is perfect and I'm more assured.
Puyol was the best at this. Umtiti too, until recently, and that's because he's tired (for a defender his age, he's playing too many games in a season). Piqué has also improved immensely in his positioning.

I actually see the opposite. Semedo tends to hesitate a split second too long as soon as he sees the overlap coming and loses concentration on both marks. It may be due to not being fully integrated into the system, but he does make up sometimes with his pace. I still find it a glaring issue that needs to be addressed. He doesn't move across to cover the overlap even when Rakitic is supporting him on occasions

PhilS

This red was not comparable to his red in his last Liga game before this one. That first red was almost forgivable. He fouled the guy outside the box, and prevented a very dangerous run at goal. Yesterday's red just can't happen from a veteran player, ever. Even a weak or missed swing at an opponent's face, always a red. Roberto should be fined by the team.

But, his assist was as good as it gets. No, Semedo does not make passes like that. Roberto was excellent on attack, he was really able to exploit Marcello's bad defense.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
This red was not comparable to his red in his last Liga game before this one. That first red was almost forgivable. He fouled the guy outside the box, and prevented a very dangerous run at goal. Yesterday's red just can't happen from a veteran player, ever. Even a weak or missed swing at an opponent's face, always a red. Roberto should be fined by the team.

But, his assist was as good as it gets. No, Semedo does not make passes like that. Roberto was excellent on attack, he was really able to exploit Marcello's bad defense.
pretty honest review

xXKonan

Yeah that assist was good but he was nothing really special even before he got sent off.

If anything Marcelo took more advantage of him than the other way around. Roberto vanished right after they scored the equalizer and he was getting dicked over and over again and he later got the Red card. people will say "Well but It's CR7 and Marcelo!!" but you have to remember he even struggled against lesser players throughout the course of the season.

Benzema10

Official Lyon representative
Honestly, this guy shouldn't be a starter in a team like Barcelona. not because of yesterday's game but in general.

Much2soon

He was good yesterday before the card in my opinion. Even defensively I’d blame Coutinho not wanting to defend or track back the main reason why our right side was exploited at times.

xXKonan

Honestly, this guy shouldn't be a starter in a team like Barcelona. not because of yesterday's game but in general.
He's a good player to have around no question and I'm glad we have him.

Just doesn't have enough to be a full fledge starter in either the Midfield or at RB. RB wise it's only a matter of time before he loses his starting spot with either Semedo benching him or even another RB like Odriozola being brought in.

Home of Barca Fans