20 - Sergi Roberto

SocalBarcaFan

First off, solid game. He's shown to be an able attacker of space. But people should go easy with the Alves comparisons. I think you'all are forgetting just what a phenomenon Alves was at his prime. I'm yet to see an RB come close to matching his skills on the ball for a start.

The only thing we haven't seen Roberto do yet is shoot the ball like Alves could. But besides that attacking wise he has been as good as Alves was SO FAR. and defensively I feel more secure with Roberto than I did with Alves, again, SO FAR. But I don't think He'll have problems with world class attackers either but that's just my opinion.

mark1nhu

First off, solid game. He's shown to be an able attacker of space. But people should go easy with the Alves comparisons. I think you'all are forgetting just what a phenomenon Alves was at his prime. I'm yet to see an RB come close to matching his skills on the ball for a start.

I still think peak Alves was better than him now, but he surely deserves being compared (already), in my honest opinion.

Vilarrubi

I still think peak Alves was better than him now, but he surely deserves being compared (already), in my honest opinion.

Yeah I agree, Alves did it consistently for years that was the difference but if Roberto keeps having games like today the comparison is fair.. you couldn't ask for anything more at all from him today.

BerkeleyBernie

No disrespect to Alves, loved most of his game. But the crosses are night and day.

zanela

The only thing we haven't seen Roberto do yet is shoot the ball like Alves could. But besides that attacking wise he has been as good as Alves was SO FAR. and defensively I feel more secure with Roberto than I did with Alves, again, SO FAR. But I don't think He'll have problems with world class attackers either but that's just my opinion.

Since we are talking about a prime Alves. Basically a top dribbler, passer, goalscorer and defender. He had far less space to work with, and almost effortlessly and nonchalantly carved out stifling defences in tandem with messi's speed of play. His ball skills unsettled opponents and created space for his teammates. His over the defence no-look ball to messi was a thing of beauty. An able goalscorer including dead ball situations. Our elite fourth attacker. Defensively, almost always got the better of prime CR. Alves was skills, intelligence and endless stamina to boot. His potential successor should show quality and consistency over two seasons atleast to be mentioned in the same breath. May be you can qualify Roberto as more tenacious and purposeful over a declining Alves, but a prime Alves, not even close.

zanela

No disrespect to Alves, loved most of his game. But the crosses are night and day.

His quality of crossing did deteriorate over the years. But back when he was in Sevilla and under Pep, it was very much nuanced. One that remains etched in my memory is that to Zlatan in El Clásico.

Jombi

His quality of crossing did deteriorate over the years. But back when he was in Sevilla and under Pep, it was very much nuanced. One that remains etched in my memory is that to Zlatan in El Clásico.

You're exaggerating here, or you simply have a case of nostalgia. His crossing was hit and miss throughout his career. Its not something that suddenly happened at the age of 33. Same with his defending. A great player no doubt, but you make him sound like he was Pele on stereoids or something.

zanela

You're exaggerating here, or you simply have a case of nostalgia. His crossing was hit and miss throughout his career. Its not something that suddenly happened at the age of 33. Same with his defending. A great player no doubt, but you make him sound like he was Pele on stereoids or something.

I never really remember people being critical of his crossing in the pre-tito era. It may not have been his forte, but wouldn't classify it as a weakness either. His crossing were hit and miss later, no doubt. But I haven't ever known an estd fullbck with an impeccable record.

In any case, if the lot of you want to consider the current Roberto as an elite RB already worthy to be compared to the club's best RB ever, be my guest.

But I will just leave this here for you'all to relive the magic.

Home of Barca Fans