20 - Sergi Roberto

God Serena

Haha I bet you could fins similar quotes about Tello, Cuenca, Bojan..... Pep gets some right some wrong like anyone else.

Tito and Tata also had good things to say about Roberto. So did Lucho in his first season...

I wouldn't even give Pep any credit there. He probably plays this well all the time during training.

Everyone who coached Sergi said he'd be amazing, I think it was just a confidence thing. He got his chance and he took it and used the RB position as a springboard to gain a foothold in the midfield. The distribution is there now, he dribbles really well (Might not look it cause hes not flashy he just kind've ghosts past players), great defensively and can score goals when we need him, he may not look it play style wise but he's a very decisive player.

xXKonan

Re reading this thread from the start someone back in 2012 Mentioned

"Why don't we Try him at RB/RWB" and some posters were like nah no way!

Interesting how that turned out. :lol:

Jombi

Everyone who coached Sergi said he'd be amazing, I think it was just a confidence thing. He got his chance and he took it and used the RB position as a springboard to gain a foothold in the midfield. The distribution is there now, he dribbles really well (Might not look it cause hes not flashy he just kind've ghosts past players), great defensively and can score goals when we need him, he may not look it play style wise but he's a very decisive player.

His skillset is better utilized as a RB or DM IMO.

El Flaco

Matuidi went for 7 million euros to PSG aged 24. He was the least flashy option out of all the french midfielders that the NT coach was considering for the 2012 euro which he then missed due to injury.
He improved steadily ever since at a higher rate than his time at saint etienne. Late bloomer. You don't need to be crap before that to be one.

Similarly, Valbuena impressed rather late, no one would have thought when he turned 25 that he'd be the best french NT player post 2006. People are actually not coming to terms with that to this day.

Not gonna discuss Zidane whose best years have been in his thirties.

The point is, some/many players improve significantly more well into their twenties while others stagnate.
I would rather say Matuidi was underrated and didn't got the recognition from those who never followed his games for Saint-Etienne. He was one of the best midfielders in Ligue 1. There's a reason why big clubs like Arsenal, Milan (to name a few) wanted to sign him for years before PSG did it. In other words, Matuidi was far from being a late-bloomer.

He was below Ribery in the pecking order + injury at the beginning of his debut-season. But when Ribery moved to Bayern, Valbuena made Marseille-supporters forget their former player and ascended to become one of the best players in Ligue 1.

Zidane's best year's have been in his thirties you say? Just look what he achieved....

I would rather say Matuidi was underrated and didn't got the recognition from those who never followed his games for Saint-Etienne. He was one of the best midfielders in Ligue 1. There's a reason why big clubs like Arsenal, Milan (to name a few) wanted to sign him for years before PSG did it. In other words, Matuidi was far from being a late-bloomer.

He was below Ribery in the pecking order + injury at the beginning of his debut-season. But when Ribery moved to Bayern, Valbuena made Marseille-supporters forget their former player and ascended to become one of the best players in Ligue 1.

Zidane's best year's have been in his thirties you say? Just look what he achieved....

So, you still struggle with definitions. As you can read in the post you've "quoted", you don't need to be crap in your young years to be considered a late bloomer afterwards.
I know these players. I have followed them closely for years now, and tons of infos or fact never get translated into english (more so 6 years ago than now obviously).
You can't dispute that all three have gotten both better individually and important within their teams well past the 25 year mark. So let's leave it at that...

Jombi

I would love to see him go back to RB where he excels. It's a shame he seems to be pushed out from his best position.

FC B

I would love to see him go back to RB where he excels. It's a shame he seems to be pushed out from his best position.

Yeap, especially now when Alves is terrible but not yet since the next match is at bernaleo.

Can't forget his two skyrocket shots today:lol:

Home of Barca Fans