20 - Sergi Roberto

BerkeleyBernie

Owned Bernie there :lol:

But he is right.

:yawn: Actually, no he didn't, and he's not. Completely fabricated. Let the troll go find and quote me gushing over Pedro's hat trick; others did, I didn't. In his head, as usual.

And, of course, the troll is completely off topic yet again. Quite tiresome when every snitty remark out of his mouth begins with an irrelevant "But Pedro blah blah blah." Nothing to do with what I actually said about Roberto, which was accurate- he played well (made my top 3), but it didn't expose his faults. Watch Roberto in any game where there is pressure. He is technically a decent player, and does move a lot, but he doesn't have any broad vision, or a plan. Bartra (who I like) made about 4-5 awful dribbles against Elche (late, when it really didn't matter, but still terrible), advancing the ball until he ran out of options. Those were kind of a grossly exaggerated version of what Roberto does under pressure. He starts a foray, but really doesn't know where he's going or the positioning of his teammates or the opposition. What Xavi does is look for space- if he doesn't see it, he doesn't continue to drive the ball in the same direction. Roberto lacks that. It's very easy for a smart pressing opposition to corral Roberto into running into an area where Barça is outnumbered. Roberto usually gets off a pass in that situation, but it's to a teammate who has no options.

Last edited:

Zangash

Banned
:yawn: Actually, no he didn't, and he's not. Completely fabricated. Let the troll go find and quote me gushing over Pedro's hat trick; others did, I didn't. In his head, as usual.

After his first two goals, I predicted in chat a Pedro Manita in the first half before being subbed off.

As always, I overestimated his capabilities.

:lol:

Second goal was the best, and showed off his two-footedness. Could have finished either inside or outside, depending on which way the keeper moved.

What's even more interesting to note is that when I came into the thread to remind people that it was Huesca he was beating you decided to defend Pedro so fiercely that you started arbitrarily attacking Neymar, with pictures. Just because I notice blatant inconsistencies in your reasoning across the forum doesn't mean I'm a troll.

he played well (made my top 3), but it didn't expose his faults. Watch Roberto in any game where there is pressure. He is technically a decent player, and does move a lot, but he doesn't have any broad vision, or a plan. Bartra (who I like) made about 4-5 awful dribbles against Elche (late, when it really didn't matter, but still terrible), advancing the ball until he ran out of options. Those were kind of a grossly exaggerated version of what Roberto does under pressure. He starts a foray, but really doesn't know where he's going or the positioning of his teammates or the opposition. What Xavi does is look for space- if he doesn't see it, he doesn't continue to drive the ball in the same direction. Roberto lacks that. It's very easy for a smart pressing opposition to corral Roberto into running into an area where Barça is outnumbered. Roberto usually gets off a pass in that situation, but it's to a teammate who has no options.

Actually, I'd say Roberto is much better when playing in pressure. I'd rather have him playing the ball safe the way he normally does but maintaining a presence in midfield than playing as a false-RB and forgetting how to midfield completely the way Rakatic seems to have. Yeah, he's probably not good enough to stay here, but then, nobody is saying he should start over one of our usual starters the way you seem to think Pedro should start over Neymar, and critiquing him (And Montoya, for that matter) for his play when he never even plays is pointless. he is capable of performing against weaker La Liga sides, that much he has shown. That's good enough for me.

BerkeleyBernie

Yup, as I said, no gushing. Just a joke (re the manita, as much a comment on Huesca as Pedro), and a comment on his best shot in the game.

I agree Roberto shields the ball well under pressure. I'm pointing out- to what effect, if he's trying to ramrod without a plan, or gets corralled to a dead-end? Yes, far preferable to Rakitic (at least the one we saw vs Elche, who was surprisingly poor).

Never said Pedro should start over Neymar as a rule. Pedro needs to get his shot back; Neymar needs to improve his judgement, holds the ball too long. There you go, I've pretty much summed up my critical opinion of the two players.

Never been a critic of Montoya, always liked him and wished him well, welcome any alternatives to Dani crosses. Had one particularly poor game, I made some comments about his play.

DinhoR10

He improves with every match, hope he keeps it up, may not make it here but a top 4 Spanish or Epl side will surely take him in the future if he keeps this up.

L

linetty

He grows but I don't think he'll make it here, good enough player for a team like sevilla/villarreal/valencia though

BBZ8800

He grows but I don't think he'll make it here, good enough player for a team like sevilla/villarreal/valencia though

Yes, very decent lately.

Last season he was horrible.
This season he is a decent player, but still not of Barca's standard.

anguy

Last season he was horrible.
This season he is a decent player, but still not of Barca's standard.

He's actually good at everything except passing (forward). :) I don't know if that's because of lack of skill or it's just mental issue. If it's indeed mental and it can be corrected, he might make it even in Barca.

Ritchie

We may need him next season with transfer ban. Still got a lot to prove to make it here beyond that as Samper and Rafinha are better prospects and a midfielder will be splashed out on in 2016.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Wicked left-footed goal, impressive game. He's getting better and more reliable as a squad player, used to be just horrible.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
He has improved indeed. I would trust him without a doubt in games against smaller teams.
Of course he is not ready to play in a Clasico or a big CL game but Sergi should be a squad player that we can rely on.

Zangash

Banned
He's actually getting better with the minimal time he is playing. The same could be said for Rafinha. I don't know if we should give Lucho credit or just chalk it up to hanging out with Iniesta during practice, though.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
He was more relaxed and it showed... Maybe it was the already decided draw, but his confidence was sky high, he was willing to take risks he normally doesn't, and it surely paid off...

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
He was more relaxed and it showed... Maybe it was the already decided draw, but his confidence was sky high, he was willing to take risks he normally doesn't, and it surely paid off...

I always said that he just needs confidence because he has the talent

Home of Barca Fans