11 - Ousmane Dembélé - V1

ebc_99

Dembele will be a superstar, i have no doubt about that. Its not his fault he got injured twice in what was going to be a difficult transition anyway. I think he can still play an important role this season if we get past Chelsea, I don't think we can win the Champions League unless we have a more dynamic right side, he and Semedo can offer that, though im not sure Valverde will take the risk.

omidferoz

I think one of the reason he is not playing as good as he did in dortmund is the fear of injury. I know it because i play football myself and i have got some bad injuries, which causes me to take it slow for a long periode of time because i fear i will get injured again. The same thing might go through his head, he dont want to get injured again in such a important part of the season and trying to take it slow. So people should relax a bit and he is not even been that bad.

Devils

I think one of the reason he is not playing as good as he did in dortmund is the fear of injury. I know it because i play football myself and i have got some bad injuries, which causes me to take it slow for a long periode of time because i fear i will get injured again. The same thing might go through his head, he dont want to get injured again in such a important part of the season and trying to take it slow. So people should relax a bit and he is not even been that bad.

Worst for me was breaking my toe which kept me out for awhile and even when I got back on the pitch probably took me around 2 months to actually get back to playing with confidence and not worry about damaging my foot every time I strike the ball.

Can't even imagine what it would be like to have a serious injury like Dembele had. But I can sympathize with how difficult it would be to come back after something like that.

Most people who don't play football would have no understanding of that.

M

MessiCam

Come on let's not get carried away here.

Compare their first seasons at the club http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...05/0/p#assists/goals_scored/total_score#total

Neymar wins easily.

He literally performed 100x better than Dembele is performing.

I know the season isn't done yet but so far wow huge difference

Look at this guy... Why don’t you compare per 90 stats as Dembélé has played far fewer minutes?

Neymar also played plenty games in succession and scored his first goal on his sixth appearance. By the time Neymar had scored his first La Liga goal he had played 387 minutes. That’s 100 more than Dembélé at 2/3 through the season. He also started every every Champions League group stage game.

I actually like Neymar but he was average in his first season.

Last edited:

serghei

Look at this guy... Why don’t you compare per 90 stats as Dembélé has played far fewer minutes?

Neymar also played plenty games in succession and scored his first goal on his sixth appearance.

I actually like Neymar but he was average in his first season.

Neymar showed more in the big games in his first season. Scored some great goals vs world class oponents. He wasn't as consistent, but he just showed more. Not to mention that he showed a lot more for Brazil too. Pissed all over Spain in the Confederation Cup.

Dembele needs 1-2 seasons before he can maybe reach Neymar's level in 2013-14, provided he has the right attitude and is injury free.

Raketa10

Valverde on Dembele:

“Dembele is a player that is always prepared to take on opponents, he’s a dribbler, he’s powerful, he’s good with both feet… that’s a lot of qualities,” Valverde said. “It’s true that at certain moments he has to improve in the final third, but he’s still just 20 years old. It’s a question of experience. With time we have faith that he will learn and improve.”

“Any game is a good time to see any player: a game like tomorrow, previous games, any game. Whether he will play or not against Malaga, we will see, but he’s a player we expect a lot from."

If he doesn't play against Chelsea, we will play with not one but two of Paulinho/Vidal/Gomes :lol:

Only way we'll score in that case is from a Messi free kick.

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I'm confident going into the match against Chelsea. This feels like the year we're finally going to fluke the CL without being the actual best team in the competition.

We actually might have the tools to pull off the fluke. Like ter Stegen: pretty much every team that has ever fluked a trophy has had a ridiculous GK.

Though I think if anyone's going to pull a Chelshit 2012 it's Utd.

I'm fine with not being the clear best team in the tournament and expecting Pep style domination every year is ridiculous, but I don't think it's too much to ask that we create chances against the likes of this Chelsea side.

I.e. I'd be more than happy with a 5-4 win against Liverpool that could have gone either way but was ultimately decided by a free kick from Messi. Or even a 2-1 win where both sides got great chances but a clutch save from ter Stegen or a goal line clearance from Pique decided it. What I don't like seeing is games like the Chelsea one in February where we could barely create a chance against an awful team and really could have lost 3-0 on another day.

We can't dominate everyone in the CL all the time, but we should at least be playing on par with the other contenders. Which for the most part we really haven't been doing these past few seasons, 14/15 excluded obviously.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Neymar showed more in the big games in his first season. Scored some great goals vs world class oponents. He wasn't as consistent, but he just showed more. Not to mention that he showed a lot more for Brazil too. Pissed all over Spain in the Confederation Cup.

Dembele needs 1-2 seasons before he can maybe reach Neymar's level in 2013-14, provided he has the right attitude and is injury free.
I’m not arguing that Dembélé has been on Neymar’s level. If Dembélé turns out half as good he will have done well...

I’m just pointing out that Neymar’s integration wasn’t hindered, he was a year older too. He played many games and he was allowed to make mistakes without consequence. Neymar lost the ball a ton too but that comes with being an attacking winger so I don’t make much fuss about it. Neymar wasn’t lazy as Dembélé though.

But if you want hard facts about their first season in terms of numbers. Neymar scored goals yes but Dembélé has the better passing stats, better assists and their chances created and key passes frequency are remarkably similar.

Dembélé’s problem is his attitude towards defending. If he can show more enthusiasm in terms of pressing then he has all makings of being a superstar here but Valverde must also not chastise him for his mistakes.

FinBarcelonafan

I’m not arguing that Dembélé has been on Neymar’s level. If Dembélé turns out half as good he will have done well...

I’m just pointing out that Neymar’s integration wasn’t hindered, he was a year older too. He played many games and he was allowed to make mistakes without consequence. Neymar lost the ball a ton too but that comes with being an attacking winger so I don’t make much fuss about it. Neymar wasn’t lazy as Dembélé though.

But if you want hard facts about their first season in terms of numbers. Neymar scored goals yes but Dembélé has the better passing stats, better assists and their chances created and key passes frequency are remarkably similar.

Dembélé’s problem is his attitude towards defending. If he can show more enthusiasm in terms of pressing then he has all makings of being a superstar here but Valverde must also not chastise him for his mistakes.

I think you're spot on. Dembele is so young and already struggling defending. It's worrying to me. Messi got lazy with age, but as a young player he was pressing quite a bit.

Neymar always had better attitude(working hard) than Dembele. It's something Dembele needs to work on.

serghei

Yes, but Barca in Neymar's first season was trophyless. This Barca is close to a double and gunning for the treble. This means less time for Dembele, especially under a manager who does not want to take risks, even at the cost of overplaying the same players.

I agree that you need to give time to very young, potentially amazing players, by default. You need to see the talent and basically accept the risk of playing these players, because the reward could potentially be great.

Mourinho for example didn't want to accept that risk with De Bruyne, expecting the player to basically go around the moon trying to earn his place. Not all players will have the toughness to do that, some will fail if put under quests like that, even if they are great players. Some players just need a different approach.

I think managers shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that players are similar in terms of personality just because they share a skill like playing football. What methods work with a player can totally blow in your face with others. You have the Ibrahimovic-like personality who responds well to a completely different managerial approach. You have players like De Bruyne basically being the opposite needing more of a gentle approach.

I think Dembele is more like De Bruyne. Seems more of a quiet, shy guy, and putting extra pressure on him to prove everyone wrong could backfire. I would rather just play him 7-8 games in a row and allow him to build confidence slowly and steadily, without making him feel as if each moment he's out there, is like a test. As if he needs to do something big or else he'll end up on the bench. Just let the kid play and allow him to integrate naturally. And I believe the performances will improve and he'll be great.

In short, be drastic about him needing to have a great diet and be serious in trainings and such, but excuse the bad performances, until they become a worrying pattern. I mean if he plays from worse to worse and it lasts 6-7 games, then bench him. But not like that. Play him a game, bench, play him 15 mins, bench etc.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans