10 - Lionel Messi - V6

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Not entirely related to Messi but I didn't know where else to post this:

https://understat.com/

Looks like a stats source that provides data for the top 5 leagues on all the new age football metrics (xG, xA, xG buildup, etc.) for every game and all the players.

I posted it here because it is in these new impact stats that you can really get into the meat of what sets Messi completely apart in his influence on a match. If there was ever a player these stats were invented to describe it's him. Even in his "declined" years he is far and away the best and these metrics show it, so I expect in 10-20 years pundits will be comparing all future players to him and still be shocked at how much of an anomaly he has been and was in his prime.

Seems like a great resource.

Dunno if this has ever been posted before:

DlV-NLkVAAAxm8a.png

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

Proves that Ronaldo is very far from being a pure poacher no matter how many people here like to think that way.

Messi's contribution is unsurprising since he has been, with the exception of Iniesta, the only creative outlet for us in the last season (Dembele injured, Coutinho joining in January & not playing in CL) both because of his brilliance and the atrocious system that solely relied on him and no one else.

clemente

Not entirely related to Messi but I didn't know where else to post this:

https://understat.com/

Looks like a stats source that provides data for the top 5 leagues on all the new age football metrics (xG, xA, xG buildup, etc.) for every game and all the players.

I posted it here because it is in these new impact stats that you can really get into the meat of what sets Messi completely apart in his influence on a match. If there was ever a player these stats were invented to describe it's him. Even in his "declined" years he is far and away the best and these metrics show it, so I expect in 10-20 years pundits will be comparing all future players to him and still be shocked at how much of an anomaly he has been and was in his prime.

Seems like a great resource.

Dunno if this has ever been posted before:

DlV-NLkVAAAxm8a.png

This chart is crazy, what is even more crazy that I've been seeing these type of charts year after year, he is just so many levels above everyone else its insane.

raki

Proves that Ronaldo is very far from being a pure poacher no matter how many people here like to think that way.

Messi's contribution is unsurprising since he has been, with the exception of Iniesta, the only creative outlet for us in the last season (Dembele injured, Coutinho joining in January & not playing in CL) both because of his brilliance and the atrocious system that solely relied on him and no one else.

Still, he´s way behind Messi. So far. Or are you reading the graphic upwards? :p

Kerrybai

He is fucking Godlike. When he retires he will have scored over 800 goals and assisted over 300. No one in football history will be able to compare.

Ronaldo will have close to 300 assists as well and possibly more goals, not turning this in to a debate but to say no one will compare statistically is not true.

LordLichtenstein

If Messi decides to pull a "Totti" and retire at the age of 40, I reckon he has a good chance of hitting the 900 goal mark, possibly even the magical 1.000.

Below I've made a stat showing Messi's goal stat from last season as well as a 5 goal degrease season-on-season until he turns 40.

30: 52 - 617 <--- Last Season
--------------
31: 47 - 664 <--- This Season
--------------
32: 42 - 706
--------------
33: 37 - 743
--------------
34: 32 - 775
--------------
35: 27 - 802
--------------
36: 22 - 824
--------------
37: 17 - 841
--------------
38: 12 - 853
--------------
39: 07 - 860
--------------

Ronaldo will have close to 300 assists as well and possibly more goals, not turning this in to a debate but to say no one will compare statistically is not true.
Ronaldo averages 13 assists per season - he will likely hit 250 at the age of 37-38. By that time Messi, who averages 18 assists per season, will have over 300. In terms of goals I expect Messi and Ronaldo to be neck and neck, so I will meet you halfway. :)

Stoichkov1

Ronaldo now basically plays as a striker so his assists numbers have been decreasing year after year.

Messi already has more assists than Ronaldo despite playing 150 less matches and the gap will only become bigger.

Kerrybai

Ronaldo averages 13 assists per season - he will likely hit 250 at the age of 37-38. By that time Messi, who averages 18 assists per season, will have over 300. In terms of goals I expect Messi and Ronaldo to be neck and neck, so I will meet you halfway. :)

Fair point but we all know Ronaldo will play into his 40's , or basically until Messi retires. The rivalry and statistics are too important for him to hang up his boots before Messi. So in the end I think he will hit close to 300 assists.... unless of course he finally starts getting injured.

ab739

I'm sorry, but how do we know that?

Because Ronaldo only plays as a target man and is in twice the shape messi is. Messi will probably deteriorate faster at this point than Ronaldo, he just doesn't have Ronaldo's dedication to be the best

Home of Barca Fans