10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Stoichkov1

No the y didn't cedlare anything, they said Ronaldo had offshore accounts on the British Virgin Islands which alone is not illegal, just very shady and begs the question what he uses them for.
Then Ronaldo's case was investigated by Spanish tax authorities a few months after the article was released.

Is it true that there's a difference between spiegel online and spiegel? I've just read on reddit that these news might be unreliable because they come from spiegel online.

Messi983

Honestly, it's disgusting, if true. I don't care what people have to say, that it's normal....again, if true, I wouldn't mind him leaving, together with this board...
I really should cool down and wait for more complete info.

I've decided a long time ago to not care about Messi's (and other players) "financial dealings" and just enjoy watching him at what he does the best. I suggest you to do the same. :)

wisconsincule

Honestly, it's disgusting, if true. I don't care what people have to say, that it's normal....again, if true, I wouldn't mind him leaving, together with this board...
I really should cool down and wait for more complete info.

Yeah. Go drink a beer and rethink that you want him to leave over an article that may not even be true.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes it's not easy realizing your football idol is not the best person. Times of innocence are gone and lost in the 90s.

Yannik

Is it true that there's a difference between spiegel online and spiegel? I've just read on reddit that these news might be unreliable because they come from spiegel online.

I read the print version usually, really nice when being on the train. Can't say if SPIEGEL Online is greatly different, is that even another newspaper? I always thought this was just the same thing but for the tablet and e-book people.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
No, that's not quite correct. They didn't declare anyone guilty of anything, they said Ronaldo (among others) had offshore accounts on the British Virgin Islands which alone is not illegal, just very shady and begs the question what he uses them for. And then Ronaldo's case was actually investigated by Spanish tax authorities a few months after the article was released and Football Leaks documents were used in those.

Didn't they try to grab everyone's attention with an eye-catching headline and claim of Ronaldo evading up to 100m of taxes or something like that? Has it been established or proven that what they were claiming was true?

Hardy

[tw]951884482860199936[/tw]

Exclusive. Leo Messi and fake charity: money of his foundation for himself and he doesn't pay tax. Full investigation on sunday.

They also say that he's already looking for a deal with authorities to avoid the prison.

Espresso like Der Spigel is part of EIC, European Investigative Collaborations that has full access to all this shit.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I haven't dug into this much but IMO it just seems ridiculous and misaligned with all the facts we knew before it came out. We had the biggest wage bill in all of football, and now suddenly we have enough to pay Leo well over 2x the amount we publicly thought he made per year on top of everything else? Along with Neydad's bonuses and all the shady wage shit in his contract? And enough to buy Ousmane, Coutinho, and eventually Griezmann too and pay those wages? And start the Espai Barca project???

If all this is true, where tf does Barca get this kind of money??? This almost certainly necessitates that Messi is closing in on the billionaire club and is richer than both Lebron James and Floyd Mayweather, let alone Ronaldo. It's just so far fetched. Is that 105m per year figure pre tax or post? So many questions.

This can only be true by unravelling everything we thought we knew about Barca's and Messi's finances over the past several years. That's why I find this so hard to believe, the burden of proof on Der Spiegel is huge here.

xXKonan

Sometimes it's not easy realizing your football idol is not the best person. Times of innocence are gone and lost in the 90s.
With the amount of money flowing into the game and add to the fact that in general football careers aren't very long and all it takes is for one bad injury/health issue that you are forced to retire.

What Messi is doing is pretty much most if not every football player at the top level are doing, just finding ways to make the most money and to save it as well even if it's shady as hell or not. To the normal folk like us shit like this is disappointing but it's the cold hard reality.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I have read some of Der Spiegel's stuff with regard to China (the latest one was that typical alarmist "Xing Lai" junk), to me they are not different from any other western media outlet in terms of purposely sensationalizing everything to create a narrative they want to present to their readers.

They do not have my respect.

CatalinR10

shit news to put all attention on Messi just when RM are in their worst form in last years ?

I guess it's just a coincidence :coffee:

Albo

[tw]951884482860199936[/tw]

Exclusive. Leo Messi and fake charity: money of his foundation for himself and he doesn't pay tax. Full investigation on sunday.

They also say that he's already looking for a deal with authorities to avoid the prison.

Espresso like Der Spigel is part of EIC, European Investigative Collaborations that has full access to all this shit.

Meh, sounds like they arrived late to the party and want to gather readers to the article. From the football leaks article I got the impression that Messi/Barca went to great lengths to avoid actual crimes being done.

Edit: Der Spiegel, Football Leaks and that one all have the same information, why would they not publish it when already revealing the case.

Home of Barca Fans