10 - Lionel Messi - v5

clemente

Messi is freakishly fast still. It's just, unlike his younger self, he can't hold on to full speed for a considerable distance as he used to. I think he's still the fastest player in the team (faster than alba and deuleufo); But the latter can sprint for 40 50 meters easily.

Cant think of a time where Messi will ever need to have to sprint for even 30 meters, we dont play that Madrid pacewhore style where they run on the wings and cross into box.

Xaviniesta

His schedule just got tougher
DKgKKogXUAAUAzr.jpg

Saladin

We should consider resting him against Las Palmas and Olympiacos. We should be able to win those games without him, and he will have to travel thousands of miles within just a couple of days.

Horatio

You're welcome
Why not?

It's not a matter of needing. I think he is not physically capable of doing that. Good thing is that he manages to adapt his game as he get older.

He still scores goals from the midfield though. He scored a handful or so last season.

Meatball

No rest needed. Just let him walk around and go sightseeing on the pitch kicking the ball here and there. We can win those games with him in this mode and it's good for his morale. :coffee:

p/s: seriously, resting is good but don't need to rest him the whole match. Messi most of the times plays his best football with lot of energy coming off from the bench after haft time. So we can rest him by sending him in around 50 mins mark in less tough matches. Btw IMO playing him as false 9 d be fairly easier on him physically compared to having him in midfield and that's the best use of him I believe.

Hardy

Atletico just 4 days after Equador away in Quito (almost 3000 metres) :busquets: Better to rest Messi in that game, at least from the bench because risk of injury is high.

Last edited:

barcanuck

Atletico just 4 days after Equador away in Quito (almost 3000 metres) :busquets: Better to rest Messi in that game, at least from the bench because risk of injury is high.

That's always the worst, playing at altitude then coming back to the butchers of Cholo.

clemente

He runs half as much as other players so he can play every 3 days, but for Argentina I think he actually runs a lot, so maybe we can sub him off with 20 min left.

Meatball

He runs half as much as other players so he can play every 3 days, but for Argentina I think he actually runs a lot, so maybe we can sub him off with 20 min left.

That's a bad idea. Sending him in after half time is a much better solution. Agree that he can play every 3 days though, just manage on his minutes a bit and he ll be fine!

raskolnikov

Keeping atletico at a draw then subbing in Messi is a good idea given the circumstances. It paid off last year as well. Its something we should do every now and then. Have Messi in the bench to only come on if needed.

Home of Barca Fans