10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

red dragon2

Obviously Messi is better than Cristiano.

For older fans how does Laudrup compare to Messi? Not in achievements but in talent? From the clips I've seen he looked to be a more impressive player than both Iniesta and Zidane.

CatalinR10

11227620_1031574996862094_6351109095799360558_n.jpg

Ekul

The thing is that I just really don't think Messi fans need to cling to things that are only semi-logical when comparing Messi to Ronaldo. We see that all the time in the arguments people make for why Ronaldo is better. But we don't need to do that. Ronaldo is a better penalty taker than Messi. Not by a lot, but he is better, despite having missed a few important ones. And there are other things Ronaldo is better at too. But Messi is still clearly the better overall player.

I think you're the one who's clinging to this penalty thing, to be honest.

Qqqq

Obviously Messi is better than Cristiano.

For older fans how does Laudrup compare to Messi? Not in achievements but in talent? From the clips I've seen he looked to be a more impressive player than both Iniesta and Zidane.

In terms of vision I reckon that Laudrup is one of the few people who (in his prime) could match Messi. That being said, he wasn't near as good a dribbler as Leo. Nor finisher. Nor as decisive. Obviously.

Think Iniesta with Messi-vision.

Egert

Estonian Culé
IF he scores on Saturday, he could become the first player to score in 3 different UCL finals :worthy:

Kerrybai

Those numbers included penalties in penalty shootouts. Perhaps Ronaldo chokes a little on penalties in big moments, since a disproportionate number of his misses seem to have been in important moments. Meanwhile, tons of Messi's missed penalties are in CdR matches. But it's not like Ronaldo hasn't made plenty of important ones or that Messi hasn't missed some important ones too.

Remember, Messi missed one in a very tight CdR quarterfinal tie in 2008. Barcelona still won by one goal, but it was an big moment. He missed one in a 0-0 La Liga match against Sevilla in the 2011-2012 season. He had the Chelsea miss, which obviously lost the tie for us (and I think Ronaldo's teams still won all the CL matches/ties where he missed penalties). He missed in the 2013 Spanish Super Cup, which we would have won if he had made the penalty. His miss in the CdR first leg this year against Atletico was big, even though we ultimately ended up winning somewhat comfortably. Taking only a 1-0 lead to the Calderon was not exactly safe. The miss in the first leg against Man City was perhaps less dire, since we were taking a lead to the Camp Nou regardless, but it was still relatively important.

I'm not saying all that to disparage Messi. He takes lots of important penalties. Of course he has missed some of those. But the same is true of Ronaldo.

I'm not denying that Messi hasn't missed big ones, both players have missed big penalties. Ronaldo is marginally better, but neither player is a good penalty taker. Good penalty takers don't miss that many big penalties.

By the way Madrid lost that tie to Bayern.

RMU ReBorn

These are all pointless games you list.
The only important penalty messi missed is the chelsea one, while cristiano has missed 4-5 important ones.

Also, messi has absolutely bossed the most important penalty in his career.
I'm talking about the penalty vs holland in the world cup.
Holland were firing first, one of their leaders was supposed to take their first penalty, robben/van persie/sneidjer, do you know what they did?(LVG asked 2 of them but didnt name them) They both refused to take it due to nerves and let the poor CB Vlaar strike it and he missed.
Then messi didn't do the same as these muppets, he stepped up, took the ball, placed it in down, had a cold gaze in his eyes and put argentina up 1-0.

It's laughable to say cristiano is better than messi on penalties just because he has a couple more scored in unimportant matches.
Ronaldo's penalty miss Against Vlencia caused Rma , a La Liga . He also , missed penaty in 2008 ucl final , if it wasn't for Terry's Slip , Ronaldo would have been a villain . Messi were as converted The penalty's in Wc semi final and copa America Quarter final !!

Morten

In terms of vision I reckon that Laudrup is one of the few people who (in his prime) could match Messi. That being said, he wasn't near as good a dribbler as Leo. Nor finisher. Nor as decisive. Obviously.

Think Iniesta with Messi-vision.

Isnt Ladrup considered one of the best dribblers of all time or am i missing something here? Messi might be a better dribbler, but if Ladrup wasnt even near as good at it, he shouldnt be considered as such. I have not watched Ladrup so i dont really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans