10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
To be fair Pele proved himself against European teams too. What Messi is doing is more impressive but we don't have to shit all over Pele just to prove how good Messi is.

Not trying to undermine him because he is clearly a legend but his stats are hyper inflated.

Kerrybai

Not trying to undermine him because he is clearly a legend but his stats are hyper inflated.

Yeah he scored a lot of international goals during a time when football was quite 'amateur' and a lot of his club goals came in the regional league, but then he did do quite well against European opposition, albeit mostly in friendly games.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/pele-s-santos-vs-european-clubs-statistical-overview.157423/

Check out the games against Benfica too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_Intercontinental_Cup

Pele is a true legend of the game .what he achieved and how he played will be always remarkable .he was actually ahead of his generation
That said his numbers was a bit inflated .this 1200+ goals was a myth .the guy counted hundreds of goals that shouldn't count . other than that he is obviously one of the best who proven himself against every level he faced

The 1000+ is a load of bollix I will agree, but his true number is 757 which is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I am sure I read a thing saying the regional leagues in Brazil were considered a better standard than majority of the european leagues at time.

Would need to try and find the article.

I am not football historian but football in general aren't the same b4 and after Bosman laws .nevermind back in 60's .the currents stereotypical top leagues and some super rich teams weren't back then (By that I mean many strong teams ahead of others Like Barca ,RM,Chelsea Bayern currently .there was obviously super team in some eras who was able to win CL 3 times in row)
Brazilian league was strong back then .CL and Liga/EPL/Calcio aren't as strong as now .that is all true .the leagues was more even back then
That said .right now you have 2 clearly top leagues in the world who separates themselves from the other .The CL is the competition with the most of world's top players .that mean playing in CL/Liga right now is more difficult than playing in Brazilian leagues even in retrospect to the difference in eras .those leagues back then wasn't as saturated with top players/coaches as it is right now

Rahj

i wonder why he can't stay at home for a few days, but i guess he is used to traveling around all the time.

MMKa

Messi will soon become the best goalscorer in 7 consecutive seasons too. Four goals to go: 357—353.

KhaledBarca

There's 4 major club records that For Sure Messi won't break:
- Most international goals for country: Ali Daei 109
- Most World Cup goals: Klose 16
- Most Copa del rey goals: Telmo Zarra 81
- Most League Goals ever: Romario 546

all the other records went and are goings down!

raki

To be fair Pele proved himself against European teams too. What Messi is doing is more impressive but we don't have to shit all over Pele just to prove how good Messi is.

His team trashed the european teams. Brazilian teams were strong.

Bucky

Penya Member
If you want to have some fun check out Match of the Day on Facebook with their Messi post regarding hat trick. Oh the haters & "prove it in the Prem's".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans