10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lessthanjake

Doesn't it seem fairly obvious to everyone that Messi has better close control (especially at speed) than Maradona, Ronaldinho, or Ronaldo? To me there's a distinct difference between watching Messi and any other all-time great dribbler. The way the ball sticks to Messi's feet as he runs is just qualitatively different.

With that said, I am not certain that makes him the best dribbler for a couple reasons. First, pitches are better nowadays. It probably was impossible to have Messi's close control in Maradona's era playing on pitches that were not as pristine. Second, while close control at speed is most of dribbling, there are other aspects to it. There is your pure speed, your strength to not get pushed off the ball, your ability to change directions, acceleration, creativity, etc. I feel like Messi is ridiculously good at all of those things as well, but he is not obviously better like he is with close control at speed. So, for instance, if someone told me that Maradona was stronger, I would not dispute it that much since it is hard for me to tell. And if Maradona (or someone else) were better at those other things, he might be a better dribbler even without the same close control.

abual3bed1

Most of the efficient stuff was made when he created chances for his team mates. He's feints were mostly done in standing positions and had the purpose of ridiculing the defender. People probably remember the 2005 el classico at Bernabeu too much. He rarely gave that kind of performances. For example, in 2006, when Barca won CL his most significant contribution was DAT pass to Guily in semis against Milan. Otherwise he was invisible.

Oh god, what have you done?!

Enough internet for me.

Enough internet for him might be better.

SeloBarca

Ronaldinhos was a pure dribbler, and an extremly efficient one. He invented new dribbles becouse all others were to easy.
Messi is more a mix between dribbling and acceleration, his acceleration as gone down a bit lately. His dribbling repertoir is not nearly as big as Ronaldinhos.
Had he just skipped all the partying, beeing more interested in marketing himself and instead concentrating on football, Ronnie coulda been goat. His ballcontrol was bar none.
He had to take on such a huge burden in the WC aswell, everyone expected him to pretty much win it by himself. When he failed he was pretty much done for after that. Hope same thing doesnt happen with Messi.

Mitchell1978

Ronaldinhos was a pure dribbler, and an extremly efficient one. He invented new dribbles becouse all others were to easy.
Messi is more a mix between dribbling and acceleration, his acceleration as gone down a bit lately. His dribbling repertoir is not nearly as big as Ronaldinhos.
Had he just skipped all the partying, beeing more interested in marketing himself and instead concentrating on football, Ronnie coulda been goat. His ballcontrol was bar none.
He had to take on such a huge burden in the WC aswell, everyone expected him to pretty much win it by himself. When he failed he was pretty much done for after that. Hope same thing doesnt happen with Messi.

Ronaldinho was the most flashy but the least efficient of the 4 mentioned in that video. You can tell a lot of the stuff he does/did were things he tried and perfected in training, whereas Messi it just seems more natural.

No way he could have been the goat, Ronaldinho at his best was great but not as good as the other 3 at their best.

SeloBarca

No way he could have been the goat, Ronaldinho at his best was great but not as good as the other 3 at their best.

I guess its personal preference. As much as i love Messi, Ronaldinho at his very peak will always be the best for me. Beeing applauded at Bernabeu by Madrid fans is no small feat.

Jadentheman

Ronaldinho was the most flashy but the least efficient of the 4 mentioned in that video. You can tell a lot of the stuff he does/did were things he tried and perfected in training, whereas Messi it just seems more natural.

Actually if you watch him play he made stuff up as the game went on and made it look easy and beautiful. It was unreal, if anything Messi's dribbles look brute-forced. At least to me IMO

L

linetty

10506988_853491144670481_5054666119791453549_o.jpg

I

instinct

Very important week of training sessions. We need to prepare ourselves as best we can for the competitions that are about to start. We must make this season count, our fans deserve it. A hug.

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
I guess its personal preference. As much as i love Messi, Ronaldinho at his very peak will always be the best for me. Beeing applauded at Bernabeu by Madrid fans is no small feat.

...then again, Madrid today has CR so in reality they have no reason to give Messi an ovation. Ronaldinho was undeniably the best in the world, and you did not had to own a Real Madrid shirt during that time to realize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans