Fernando Torres

beef-supreme

Well, that's possible, but firstly Villa has been a late bloomer, so that would explain his late emergence (like Arshavin, perhaps), also i would say that without Torres Spain are a better team. Needless to say he scored a crucial goal in the Euros but his performances for me have always been underwhelming. This is the opposite to how he plays when fit for Liverpool. He's a beast on those occasions. I like seeing Spain win and for that reason I want them both to be fit, but i wouldn't be surprised if Torres failed to impress.

B

blueduck

Indeed, but a striker that's good only when fit isn't much use tbf. If that were true then Vicente who is/was phenomenally talented and good when fit would be considered a top player, and yet, correctly, this is not the case.
His scoring record in La Liga wasn't great and I think he is the achilles heel of the Spanish national team as well - i just don't see him performing well without the speed and space he is given in England.

I would have thought he would get more space in Spain rather than here.

The pitches in England are a fair bit smaller than the ones you have over there and the way teams are mostly set up means he actually has less space.

But I agree, his game suits the PL more than La Liga, just like there are players who are better in La Liga.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Did I just read that meta thinks Luis Fabiano is on Torres level.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I agree i dont rate luis Fabiano even if he is a ponte pretano....

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper

yup.

I am awed by your reading skills, by the way, which has you reading a post damn near 3 months after it was written. that's some impressive skills there.

but in all seriousness, we all know that's not true.

you read it when it was written, but waited until torres found form again and fabiano lost it before responding. coz that's how you roll.

fabiano has a better goal record throughout his career than torres does, and is lightyears better for his country than torres is.

and funnily enough, he's won more than torres too! :lol:

jog on, sunshine.

beef-supreme

I would have thought he would get more space in Spain rather than here.

The pitches in England are a fair bit smaller than the ones you have over there and the way teams are mostly set up means he actually has less space.

But I agree, his game suits the PL more than La Liga, just like there are players who are better in La Liga.

I'm not sure about pitch sizes as I only know that the Bernabeu and the Camp Nou are huge. But it's not just about pitch size, the pace of the game lends itself to more space being created for torres. Defenders in the EPL are more likely to commit than in La Liga where they tend to stand off in my experience, and also the end-to-end nature of the EPL means that the striker makes maaaany more runs behind the defenders. This doesn't ha[[en in La Liga where the ball's passed around and a run behind the defence is usually ultimately an offside.

yup.

I am awed by your reading skills, by the way, which has you reading a post damn near 3 months after it was written. that's some impressive skills there.

but in all seriousness, we all know that's not true.

you read it when it was written, but waited until torres found form again and fabiano lost it before responding. coz that's how you roll.

fabiano has a better goal record throughout his career than torres does, and is lightyears better for his country than torres is.

and funnily enough, he's won more than torres too! :lol:

jog on, sunshine.

:lol: 3 months after?? Crazy.
In the fabiano - torres situation I think that the international scene tells a revealing story. Fabiano is older and perhaps less talented but he is still more successful and better on paper. Same with his club. Torres is young and could develop into a much better player than Fabiano. In terms of talent and attitude he is also better. But Fabiano is far more reliable.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6114773,00.html

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=776673&sec=england&cc=5901

Torres:"I just can't imagine what state I'll be in within five or six years if I continue to play here - it could easily give me problems when I stop playing. The physical level is superior to all other countries."

Assuming this means he's leaving England this summer, where would his destination be? I'm 99% sure he won't go to R. Madrid, so maybe Barcelona or back to Atletico? He was also linked with Juventus and Milan to my knowledge.

Discuss?

iced1776

I'm perfectly happy with Ibra, but I think Torres would fit the position even better. I think he's very exciting to watch in his current form, I'd almost be as happy with him as with Villa *ducks for cover*

Ken_rosseneri

Torres would've been the perfect fit...He's fast, skillful and not predictable..can't be bullied away..Torres on form is the best striker in the world..Yes better than D. Villa

XaviMessiGirl

I hope that if Torres does leave the EPL that he comes here to Barca. I am a big fan of his and it would kill me to see him on Real Madrid :(

Home of Barca Fans