Fernando Torres

Co0ter

Saying Fernando Torres is an "alright" striker makes me lol If he's not awesome then I don't know who is? He's easily the best striker in the EPL, Drogba might be having a great first half of the season but look at who Drogba plays with, then look at Liverpool.

Thats what I thought.

Torres just needs to work on his first touch a little more before he is truely great. He started in Atletico Madrid I think when he was 17, and he did pretty well (a lot of people said he was a flop but I don't see how). His goal/game ratio was really good until his last 2 years at Madrid (he was 20-22 years old), but then again Aguero's isn't much better. Since he's gone to Liverpool his goal/game ratio has been fantastic and thats really the big deal behind the recent buzz.

iced1776

When it comes to taking half chances and putting the ball in the net, Torres is definitely one of the best. His build up play is weak which is why I think he struggles for Spain, but his finishing can be simply superb.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
he's overrated.

consistently poor in la liga.
consistently poor against la liga teams for liverpool.
consistently poor for spain against everyone but the cackest teams.

great striker, but he's not the best in the world.

hell I wouldn't say he's even top 5.

villa, drogba, zlatan and eto'o are better than him for sure. well drogba in terms of consistency has only risen up this year but he's always been way more unplayable than torres on his day against any opposition. and rooney, fabiano and dzeko are certainly on his level and have been playing better for the past year.

V

Valon

he's overrated.

consistently poor in la liga.
consistently poor against la liga teams for liverpool.
consistently poor for spain against everyone but the cackest teams.

great striker, but he's not the best in the world.

hell I wouldn't say he's even top 5.

villa, drogba, zlatan and eto'o are better than him for sure. well drogba in terms of consistency has only risen up this year but he's always been way more unplayable than torres on his day against any opposition. and rooney, fabiano and dzeko are certainly on his level and have been playing better for the past year.

qft

Ken_rosseneri

For me Torres is the best striker in the world...He scores against everyone..against man u, chelsea, Arsenal, Inter, Madrid..and he's done it over and over again...he always almost scored against us too..He was our nemesis and i remember very well how he tortured Puyol..The thing is he doesn't always have many chances but he takes the little he has..Imagine if he was in Barca..He'll score a lot..Liverpool don't usually create much but yet he's the youngest player in pool to score those much goals..

Last edited:

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Hmmmm, interesting... I also think Torres is over-rated, he's a good player and a great finisher but surely there are a handful of better strikers in my opinion... However the points brought up by Meta are unfair, they somehow resemble those who say that Zlatan sucks because he is "consistently poor against EPL teams"... I don't want to start a shitstorm, so I'll leave it like that...

Ken_rosseneri

He's been poor this season cuz of nagging injuries here and there...If he was in Barca he'll be unstoppable..I think he's better than Ibra and can even improve more..plus he's younger!! He's skillful too...wat else do we need?

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Hmmmm, interesting... I also think Torres is over-rated, he's a good player and a great finisher but surely there are a handful of better strikers in my opinion... However the points brought up by Meta are unfair, they somehow resemble those who say that Zlatan sucks because he is "consistently poor against EPL teams"... I don't want to start a shitstorm, so I'll leave it like that...

admittedly torres' experience vs. la liga teams for liverpool consists of those two games against real madrid, and I probably should have said shit IN spain against la liga teams, coz he was alright at anfield but so bad in the bernabeu.

but really you could condense all three of those points down into one: when confronted by a spanish crowd, el nino tends to suck. he has too much to prove, tries too hard, and just never gets going.

he never scored more than 21 goals in a season for atletico, and had tapered off badly in his last couple of seasons. he third last wasn't great either but at least he hit 20 goals. there's a reason liverpool managed to sign him unopposed: he was a huge gamble. no one wanted to pay atleti's asking price because from what they'd seen he had issues which prevented him from unleashing his full talent. rafa took a risk and it paid off big time, fair enough, but at that time torres was little more than a guiza/soldado type. scoring all the goals (and taking the penalties) for a mid-table side. his reputation has been re-enhanced since moving to liverpool and delivering, but if you watch him for spain he still has all the old weaknesses and tbh if xavi, silva and especially villa weren't looking to set him up every chance they get I wonder how many he'd manage to score for spain.

and btw apart from his first season with ajax and his first two seasons in italy, zlatan has consistently scored around 1:2 and has no problems performing in front of his own people. he has a thing with the CL KO rounds, but I dunno what's goin' on there.

iced1776

admittedly torres' experience vs. la liga teams for liverpool consists of those two games against real madrid, and I probably should have said shit IN spain against la liga teams, coz he was alright at anfield but so bad in the bernabeu.

but really you could condense all three of those points down into one: when confronted by a spanish crowd, el nino tends to suck. he has too much to prove, tries too hard, and just never gets going.

he never scored more than 21 goals in a season for atletico, and had tapered off badly in his last couple of seasons. he third last wasn't great either but at least he hit 20 goals. there's a reason liverpool managed to sign him unopposed: he was a huge gamble. no one wanted to pay atleti's asking price because from what they'd seen he had issues which prevented him from unleashing his full talent. rafa took a risk and it paid off big time, fair enough, but at that time torres was little more than a guiza/soldado type. scoring all the goals (and taking the penalties) for a mid-table side. his reputation has been re-enhanced since moving to liverpool and delivering, but if you watch him for spain he still has all the old weaknesses and tbh if xavi, silva and especially villa weren't looking to set him up every chance they get I wonder how many he'd manage to score for spain.

and btw apart from his first season with ajax and his first two seasons in italy, zlatan has consistently scored around 1:2 and has no problems performing in front of his own people. he has a thing with the CL KO rounds, but I dunno what's goin' on there.

This forum always goes into an uproar when the English media fails to appreciate the style of play that is effective in La Liga (creative possession play, ball skills, etc). Yet you seem to be ignoring the skills that make an effective EPL player, which is completely unfair.

Torres is a player who is weak in the build up play, which makes him weak for Spain and arguably for Atletico, but is an unbelievable finisher. IMO he would even fit in beautifully into our CF role, someone who makes piercing runs and can convert half chances, something our precious Eto'o could never do.

Last edited:
J

Jordzibob

Come back in the morning and Meta has shat all over the thread, =[ go away, your like a mean kid on an anthill!!

He's been poor this season cuz of nagging injuries here and there...If he was in Barca he'll be unstoppable..I think he's better than Ibra and can even improve more..plus he's younger!! He's skillful too...wat else do we need?

:worthy::worthy: For once Kenny boy, I'm totally, absolutely agreed with you. Him at Barca would be brilliant

a2e68_nathleticdebilbaoikermu.jpg

Is he the next Torres? He looks like a cross between him and Craig Bellamy

This forum always goes into an uproar when the English media fails to appreciate the style of play that is effective in La Liga (creative possession play, ball skills, etc). Yet you seem to be ignoring the skills that make an effective EPL player, which is completely unfair.

Torres is a player who is weak in the build up play, which makes him weak for Spain and arguably for Atletico, but is an unbelievable finisher. IMO he would even fit in beautifully into our CF role, someone who makes piercing runs and can convert half chances, something our precious Eto'o could never do.

That's what I said last time Ice, did not go well, at all. Lest you wish for a serious owning I suggest you stop, Meta has an argument for everything.

Last edited:
[YOUTUBE]lWtNKJBE2eY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]xVNBmVApRww[/YOUTUBE]

Midly entertaining when hung over, or really bored.

zanela

a2e68_nathleticdebilbaoikermu.jpg

Is he the next Torres? He looks like a cross between him and Craig Bellamy

Thats Iker Muniain and doesn't look like Torres.

Now,

Here is Barca's very own Torres although he plays in a diff position, but 'll be a bigger star than the current Spain flop.

2lwvog2.jpg

GerardEspana.jpg

:hooray:

Last edited:

Co0ter

how was his performances in La Liga bad? He was on Atletico from what, 17-18 years old to 22-23? He had a few seasons where he went 1:2 and he was still mad young, his last two seasons he didn't quite hit the 1:2 ratio, thats the only negative thing you can pin him for. Did you take a second to really think it out tho? He was on ATLETICO MADRID, who was mid-table at the time...he wasn't playing with class players either, the team wasn't even as good as it is now.

He went to Liverpool and delivered, and Liverpool at the moment is rubbish and he's still doing alright. He's had some injuries too...like I initially said, the only problem with Torres is that his vision and first-touch could be better, that is all he's missing.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
how was his performances in La Liga bad? He was on Atletico from what, 17-18 years old to 22-23? He had a few seasons where he went 1:2 and he was still mad young, his last two seasons he didn't quite hit the 1:2 ratio, thats the only negative thing you can pin him for. Did you take a second to really think it out tho? He was on ATLETICO MADRID, who was mid-table at the time...he wasn't playing with class players either, the team wasn't even as good as it is now.

I think it would be fair to add that Atletico also had Vieri as top European marksman while also being "average" as you say. Guiza also had a perfect goalscoring record in Mallorca.

Home of Barca Fans