Premier League 2018/19

Who will win the league?

• Total voters

El Gato

Villarato!
I hope you guys get them and try to prove how they can be got at. They sold Karius in the meantime.

I forgot you have to eliminate City first.

I confess, I get confused how you manage to miss the point and resort to some dick-measuring contest or silly reductionist jabs when someone questions the basis of your world view.

Semi-chronologically:
- RM got at them with mostly experience and luck on a neutral ground. You can chat about Karius all you want, Liverpool had 87 other minutes to try and score.
- City held them to a 0-0 at Anfield (which is pretty much a win in the league when it's this narrow and you're more likely to win at home) and had a chance to win it after VVD fucked up and Mahrez missed the pen.
- Barca got at them with experience at home, then collapsed even when 1 goal away would have seen them through.
- Salzburg made it 3-3 from 3-0 down at Anfield.
- Shitty United got at them without much of an issue at Old Trafford and they needed a bailout goal to stay alive.
- Napoli kicked their ass pretty much 4 times out of 4 meetings.
- Salzburg also held on at home for 60 minutes until the keeper being a turtle cost them the game.

It is energy and incentive that's at the centre of competing against this Liverpool. 30+ year olds, no matter how good, will not escape their press and be able to track them consistently. Do you see me saying RM can do it? Not with any confidence.

serghei

I confess, I get confused how you manage to miss the point and resort to some dick-measuring contest or silly reductionist jabs when someone questions the basis of your world view.

Semi-chronologically:
- RM got at them with mostly experience and luck on a neutral ground. You can chat about Karius all you want, Liverpool had 87 other minutes to try and score.
- City held them to a 0-0 at Anfield (which is pretty much a win in the league when it's this narrow and you're more likely to win at home) and had a chance to win it after VVD fucked up and Mahrez missed the pen.
- Barca got at them with experience at home, then collapsed even when 1 goal away would have seen them through.
- Salzburg made it 3-3 from 3-0 down at Anfield.
- Shitty United got at them without much of an issue at Old Trafford and they needed a bailout goal to stay alive.
- Napoli kicked their ass pretty much 4 times out of 4 meetings.
- Salzburg also held on at home for 60 minutes until the keeper being a turtle cost them the game.

It is energy and incentive that's at the centre of competing against this Liverpool. 30+ year olds, no matter how good, will not escape their press and be able to track them consistently. Do you see me saying RM can do it? Not with any confidence.

Don't flatter yourself. You didn't address a single point in my comments on the subject. I welcome the debate if you really want to open it. But you have to do way better than the comment above.

I think Madrid finished 2nd in the groups in 3 of their last 4 CL wins. I say to you again, as I've said in the past. The real Champions League starts in the knockout rounds.

Barca was dominated overwhelmingly for the most part of the tie, but managed to keep it close with the sheer genius of Messi first, and Suarez second. The talented squad we have almost managed to knock out a superior side. But in the end, the better side won. Real Madrid got them because almost all their goals were gifted by a goalkeeper who was sadly not from the same film.

I have no interest to be biased in favor of Liverpool. I am simply objective here, that's all. Liverpool are a great side, and Klopp is no doubt a supreme manager. If you know your football, you know this.

If Liverpool keep their level, they win the double this year and seal their place among the best teams of modern times. Everybody else is playing catch trying to get near them.

Valverde-infused Barca and Zidane's crossing machine with no Ronaldo are no match for Liverpool playing like this.

Last edited:

serghei

Best bet imo is if somehow Atletico manage to turn back the time and put up a 2013 defensive masterclass right from the days of peak Godin, or PSG having a Neymar - Mbappe duo in the form of their life.

But even if Atletico put up a defensive wall and heroically resist Liverpool's charges, they have no one to pull the trigger and punish them on the break. And PSG defensively are a joke.

Can't you see? Liverpool have everybody by the balls.

Barca? Messi and a clown manager in a sentence. Zidane? All he knows is to put the ball wide and to cross. 38 crosses vs a weak-ass Barcelona and barely 2 decent chances all game. A joke. And Madrid media are acting as if Madrid played a partidazo. Based on the football showed in the Clasico, Liverpool in this form would've handed both quite a spanking.

Last edited:

stb_1

it is astonishing how some people mis-interpret the club - they see that Liverpool has won the CL and is currently one if not the best club in - and thus 80% of their players must be outstanding/worldclass.

I do not agree ... These players developed in Liverpool, they form together a great team. Mane in Salzburg was good but nothing more... otherwise real, inter, juve, bayern, psg would have bought him - no southhampton was his next step before moving to Pool

Alision (coming from Roma), Salah (also from Roma), Firminho (Hoffenheim .de), VVD (Southhampton), Oxley-Chamber (Arsenal), Fabhinho (Monaco), Keita (Leipzig), Robertson (Hull), Wijnaldum (Newcastle), Millner (ManCity) , Henderson (Coventry), Matip (Schalke)

So the majority came from good/OK clubs - but they did no come as "top stars".
So my conclusion is they formed an excellent team - but I do not see them as individual excellent world class players (except mo, mane, vvd, alison)

Now 7 of the Liverpool players are in the BallonDor top 30 probably their "equipment manager" is also best in the world because of the CL win. hahaha

Klopp is more important to the team then any player on the field - they would not be near as successful without Klopp.

Dumb narrative. Just because they bought from lesser clubs for lesser money they are bad players? Mane is a top 5 winger in the world. EASILY.

serghei

Dumb narrative. Just because they bought from lesser clubs for lesser money they are bad players? Mane is a top 5 winger in the world. EASILY.

Lol. Mane is a top 5 winger in the world after 3 years with Klopp. He WAS NOT a top 5 winger in the world when he was at Southampton. That's the fucking point. Klopp is the common denominator in the rise of every Liverpool player.

El Gato

Villarato!
For someone so objective you really don't like stats that really tell the story of the games I've happened to use here as example of Liverpool vulnerability.

Against RM they were matched inch for inch until the Karius blunder, quickly equalised and then were utterly unconvincing after the Bale golazo. Lack of experience and inability to keep a cool head and realise it's just 1 goal. Losing goals because a keeper gifted them to the opponent doesn't meant you stop playing or that you lose a game outright.

Liverpool had 9 shots to Barcelona's 6 at Camp Nou, their chances were of poorer quality and every time they conceded they failed to rebound when playing against Barcelona you must take the chances you have on their ground.
At Anfield they had FEWER shots than Barcelona (!) and scored 4.

Against Napoli they've nearly always dominated and nearly always conceded.

It seems to me as if domination and control are being conflated here. And you can 'get at' teams by controlling the game without dominating the play. Hence Liverpool aren't invincible and the recipe to beat them isn't that complex.

stb_1

Suarez wasn't a top 5 striker in the world when he signed for Liverpool either and Klopp had no roll in that. Players develop at different times.

I think of all the top teams out there, PSG probably has the best chance to beat Liverpool over two legs. They have the players to keep the ball for long periods in the game and an absolute lethal attack which can bury half chances. But lets not act like are unbeatable now, there are about 8 teams on the same level right now, they just don't have Liverpool's consistency.

Liverpool, City, Barca, Real, Bayern, Juventus, PSG over two legs are all of similar quality.

Centauri B

Suarez wasn't a top 5 striker in the world when he signed for Liverpool either and Klopp had no roll in that. Players develop at different times.

I think of all the top teams out there, PSG probably has the best chance to beat Liverpool over two legs. They have the players to keep the ball for long periods in the game and an absolute lethal attack which can bury half chances. But lets not act like are unbeatable now, there are about 8 teams on the same level right now, they just don't have Liverpool's consistency.

Liverpool, City, Barca, Real, Bayern, Juventus, PSG over two legs are all of similar quality.

Also Atleti, especially if they sign Cavani.

serghei

It seems to me as if domination and control are being conflated here. And you can 'get at' teams by controlling the game without dominating the play. Hence Liverpool aren't invincible and the recipe to beat them isn't that complex.

And yet, nobody has beaten them over two legs in 2 years in Europe. Nobody said they are invincible. Just that they are a great side and that is due to Klopp mainly.

Home of Barca Fans