Santiago Vergini

hani_salaam

Nobody really heard about Thiago Silva before he moved to A.C. Milan in 2009 either.

I'm not saying Vergini is the next Thiago Silva or anything like that but he looks like a solid defender. It doesn't sound like he's going to cost much either. It gives us plenty of options on where to play Mascherano if we can get 2 new defenders.

I am all in for the move. I have always been in favour of getting more than 1 defender. Vergini should not cost more than 3-5 million Euros (transfermarkt values him at 700,000 though). In addition to Vergini, I'd like another defender - a more established one perhaps.

How about Ryan Shawcross? I know he is poles apart from what Barca needs, but he is strong and can be quite a revelation.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Looks badass. Someone you could not bully. In a team of midgets like Barca such a player is indeed needed!

L

Learo

From what i saw in the video he seems very solid and skillful defender, but not very pacey. We can have him. And then buy one more defender. And move Masch to DM.

Its close to 0% chance Masch will be moved to DM. He has explicitly stated he is more comfortable as CB for us, than DM. His ball skills are nowhere near good enough to be a DM for us.

ebieymjunior

Its close to 0% chance Masch will be moved to DM. He has explicitly stated he is more comfortable as CB for us, than DM. His ball skills are nowhere near good enough to be a DM for us.

Seriously doubt he can stay at CB if he stays in Barcelona.

kollegah

pique;puyol;masch;misterX;vergini, no need to sell masch, while puyol is doubtful, injuries could hit anyone and pique has a range from worldclass to kindergardenclass

L

Learo

Seriously doubt he can stay at CB if he stays in Barcelona.

Well, I have much more doubt about his future if he starts playing DM for us (which he almost certainly wont do). He simply does not have the skills for a Barca DM.

If he leaves though, he will most likely be released on a free transfer (and we'll spin it that we did it for his good service) while Madrid get 23m for Callejon and Albiol and 25m for 30 year old Pepe. :lol:

Last edited:

Meitux

Yeah Mascherano is not good enough for our midfield and surely it won't work with Busquets-Mascherano as someone said....And i wonder seriously how can anybody consider him as option for our defence when clearly he can't make it done in this position...

ebieymjunior

Sorry for the constant OT, but Mascherano is accustomed to having someone at the back of him if players get past him.
That's the biggest difference between a DM and a CB. The mentality of a CB is that no body can get past him and he'll do everything to not let it happen (the Puyol, Kompany mentality).

ceefoo

He looks like an absolute BEAST. But he also has the technical quality. Worth the investment if he's not going to cost very much. But we will need another, CB if we were to sign him. What concerned me a little was that he appeared to get quite square on at times, which would cause problems against fast attackers. Hard to tell though, in a 10 minute highlights video. :eusa_think:

If Tata trusts him, then I will give him a chance, and trust his instincts.

On Mascherano: My first preference would be to sell him. Not because I don't think he's no good, but because there isn't really a role for him in the team. He is still good enough to play CB versus 70% of La Liga teams, but it's been proven that he gets exposed against the top teams, and we can't risk that happening for another season. I don't envision him leaving the club this transfer window, but I do see him taking on a squad role when we eventually strengthen the defence.

In addition to Vergini, my preference would be to sign a left-footed CB, to bring balance to the defence. Either Vertonghen or Doria, or both, depending on cost.

Chainsaw

Killahead
If Tata is about to bring his hard pressing to Barca Masche may be needed for the midfield. And he also gives more options for rotation and also trying different formations against different opponents. So I'll give it a chance that Tata may move Mascherano back to the midfield.

That also depends on IF we get two new defenders (or any at all).

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
He looks solid, and he can play lateral too. He's gonna be relatively cheap, so they can get him and get another defender as well. Looks like a good potential acquisition.

IMO he looks a lot like Javi Martinez.

Home of Barca Fans