Santiago Vergini

SoMa

219547.jpg

It is rumored that Tata could want to take him along to Barcelona from Newells.

He is a CB, 24 years old, 6'3

Heres a vid with some of his best stuff

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I've been watching a lot of tape on him and he looks to be a tough defender. He's not exactly quick but he's agile for his size. We can definitely add some strength and height to our defense. I'm all for the move as long as we still go for a veteran defender like Agger in addition to this.

I can't believe we might actually get 2 new defenders this summer. We can move Mascherano back to DM.

I'm hoping that Tata can reorganize our defense.

Last edited:

Professor Chaos

Nobody heard about him, except NOB supporters. We don't need weak defender from Argentina. Level of football in South America is much lower than in Europe.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Nobody heard about him, except NOB supporters. We don't need weak defender from Argentina. Level of football in South America is much lower than in Europe.

Nobody really heard about Thiago Silva before he moved to A.C. Milan in 2009 either.

I'm not saying Vergini is the next Thiago Silva or anything like that but he looks like a solid defender. It doesn't sound like he's going to cost much either. It gives us plenty of options on where to play Mascherano if we can get 2 new defenders.

Butaan4barca

how many heard of javier hernandez, curtosis, or vernane ? Teams do it over and over again, spot talents before others too. And plus if he is our new boss, one of the things we really expect him to do is bring cheap but great prospects from south America. He was Paraguay national coach for 6 odd years so should know that network inside out, same with Argentina.

Scouts only make random visits to random places, the odds of missing great prospects are very high. Belgium is recent example of bundle of talent popping up in every department. Those talents would have been there for ages, but only now they are scouted and recruited.

In short, it is wrong assumption that unknown guys could not possibly be great footballers. Look around your country several talents go wasted who could've easily played at higher levels given the attention, training and development.

i_bleed_blaugrana

He really has a classic style to his play. I like what I saw in the video tho, looks very solid. Hummels-esq, in a way. For such a strong and commanding tackler, his ball skills are impressive. Would certainly add some height and strength to our back line, something that has been painfully obvious for a while.

Perhaps this is Martino's version of Marquez?

Huge risk tho, much bigger than Marquinhos or any other inexperienced CB. As long as he can adapt quickly and Tata eases him in, he could be a success. He is a bit raw and lacks a little polish but he could be a very shrewd buy. He'd give Piqué a run for his money too in the defensive swag department

Wonder how long it will take? No way he would pass on a chance like this.

I would prefer someone who is a little more experienced bc I question whether he can have an immediate impact. Going from marking scrubs in Argentina (still the best league west of the Atlantic) to chasing after Benzema and Ronaldo is quite a jump but them again, people said the same about Varane.

Hope it works out, I'm sure the rumor mills will be churning in overdrive now.

Last edited:

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
We need a CB that's pacey enough to keep up with Ronaldo and other fast players just like Bayern's defenders can keep up with Messi. This guy paired up with Pique is the quite opposite.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I like the job Botia did against CR7 last season. He roughed up that little pretty boy.

We can definitely use a big guy like Vergini on set pieces for sure. We can definitely benefit from a tough South American defender who's fearless. I could see this dude pairing up well with a guy like Agger or Puyol.

We should definitely get 2 new defenders and use Mascherano primarily as a DM and perhaps even in a double-pivot with Busquets against a team like Bayern Munich. We should go after Agger if we get this guy.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
He is actually slower than Pique... in PES though!!

He would at least ensure Pique will stay on his toes... so wouldn't probabi be a bad move

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
We need strength and real height in our defense as Pique is not the best header of a ball.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
From what i saw in the video he seems very solid and skillful defender, but not very pacey. We can have him. And then buy one more defender. And move Masch to DM.

Home of Barca Fans