World Cup 2022

Gnidrologist

Southgate is just perfect embodiment of current UK and Western bureaucracy. An incompetent tool, but a good yes man. Not that i actually rate this media overhyped diverse kneeler generation. They deserve manager like him. They comb well together like Gayrlishes hair.

khaled_a_d

Southgate has got the best result England ever had in Euros and their "tied" 2nd best ever in World Cup.
He has done that by avoidind defeats against the likes of Iceland and Uruguay.
It is tame, boring, inconvenient but it avoids them humiliations.
And no, current generation isn't best England team since "whatever you want" that generation that worked under the likes of Capello and Eriksen was better and still underachieved.
NT coaching is a totally different job and totally different criteria than club coaching and for some reason people still judge coaches on same standard they do with clubs.

Southgate is solid, but will soon be outdated for the team as all coaches do (including all previous World Cup , Euro winners) but he was a great success for them, and might continue to be in this tournament

malvolio

Why not Brazil ?
They seem to have everything needed ..

Plus who else ??

Too early to tell really. Germany or Argentina could come back with big wins and everyone will get on the bandwagons again. Portugal might get lucky with a Ronaldo injury, who knows.

Zidane82

Too early to tell really. Germany or Argentina could come back with big wins and everyone will get on the bandwagons again. Portugal might get lucky with a Ronaldo injury, who knows.

Guess that is all very possible
I saw that Argentina are still 4th favourite apparently slipping from 2nd after Brazil

Zidane82

Quite a few experienced pundits including Big Sam and Stuart Pearce saying we should make wholesale changes for Wales .. one ex player ( name escapes me ) said to play the other guys to give them a boost and see who impresses plus it protects Kane and the others who Southgate worships . It?s extremely unlikely that the talented bench will lose more than 3:0 so what is there to lose ?

BBZ8800

Why not Brazil ?
They seem to have everything needed ..

Plus who else ??

I have seen this stat in one paper a few days ago.
Look at this pattern, all Brazil's WC matches after 2002:

2018:
Serbia 2:0
Switzerland 1:1
Belgium 1:2

Costarica 2:0
Mexico 2:0

2014:
Croatia 3:1
Germany 1:7

Mexico 0:0
Cameroon 4:1
Chile 1:1, pens 3:2
Colombia 2:1

2010:
Portugal 0:0
Netherlands 1:2

North Korea 2:1
Ivory Coast 3:1
Chile 3:0

2006:
Croatia 1:0
France 0:1

Australia 2:0
Japan 4:1
Ghana 3:0

Matches against non-European teams:
12 matches:
10 wins, 2 draws (1 win on pen after that draw vs Chile)
-- so, more or less 10 or 11 wins out of 12 matches vs non-Europeans

Now, look at this:
Matches against European teams:
Croatia 3:1
Croatia 1:0
Switz 1:1

Total matches:
10 matches
4 wins, 2 draws, 4 defeats

So, Brazil wins around 90% of matches vs Non-European teams, BUT ONLY 40% of matches vs European teams.
But, look even more: their ONLY wins since 2002 against Europeans are against two Balkan teams: Croatia and Serbia, who are known for good technique, wild mentality, unpredictability and often less running than western European teams.
So, let's say that for some reason Balkan teams suit Brazil.
When you remove Croatia and Serbia from these stats, Brazil didn't win a single match since 2002' against more pragmatic western European teams, check all the matches:
Switz 1:1

2 draws, 4 defeats, goals ratio 4:15

Ok, every match is unique, but some patterns are obvious.
The same as how peak Barca never head problems with technical teams like Arsenal, Porto, Ajax.
But struggled in a CL vs Mourinho's teams, Bayern, Atletico.

Or look at the pattern in the last few years where Bayern IIRC has 9 out of 10 wins vs Barca.
Barca just suits them.
Yet, Bayern loses easily against RM or Psg on the other hand.

I have wrote a lot of times about European teams who are more or less similar. Top teams like France, Portugal, England, Germany.
And then medium level like Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Croatia, Switzerland.
There are just "too many" Europeans who play very similar (except TikiTaka Spain and Balkan teams, for example).
But you get the point.
And then, for Brazil and Argentina, they have huge problems against these modern age European teams.
If Brazil wins against Belgium, they'll lose to Denmark.
If they win against Belgium and Denmark, they'll lose to France.
If they even beat Belgium, Denmark and France, they'll lose to Portugal or England.
Again, there are just TOO MANY of them and everyone are decent to world class.

Also, since the World cup expanded to 32 teams, there are even more Europeans on the WC than before.
On the first 15 world cups with a smaller number of teams (till 1994), Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay won 8 out of 15 world cups.
But in the last 25 years, since 1998 when the world cup has expanded to 32 teams, South Americans struggle.
On the 6 world cups from 1998 to 2018 with 32 teams, Europeans have won 5 times out of 6.
Even worse, Europeans have won the last 4 WCs in a row.

This is why, when JamDav often asks me: who is your favorite?
I honestly don't know.
I just reply: I don't know WHO will win it but I do know who won't: Brazil and Argentina.
Why: well, because there are too many European teams in KO rounds who don't fit their style and it is highly unlikely that they'll win 4 KO matches in a row (if the matches are 50:50). The chances are only 6,25% for a team to win 4 tight KO matches in a row.
On the other hand, I think that South American football is left behind in the last few years by Europeans who are on a higher level physique and tactics wise. Brazil do have an advantage in technique, though. Argentina don't have even that, they are inferior in every aspect (bar Messi) to at least 10 European teams.

So, if you just use some simple logic and maths, it is highly unlikely for Brazil/Argentina to jump through 4 KO matches when there are so many "randomly" okis European team where each one of them can get to the final with 2 good matches and some luck on pens, like:
England, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, Croatia, Switzerland. Even Serbia and Poland can create problems to a majority of teams.
That's at least 10 tough opponents for Brazil and Argentina.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

It is open and Brazil have a good chance if Neymar is fit.

France for the pace outwide of their front two seem to have the biggest threat and are solid throughout the rest of the team.

Spain v France would be interesting as it would be Spain gambling with high line and possesion of ball in midfield 3 vs Frances midfield. Which in reality has Griezmann who is not a midfielder but more of a second striker but any time France break would be panic stations for Spain.

Germany game for Spain could be same tomorrow and similar risks as they have that pace up top that is dangerous no matter how much of ball Spain have. Issue for Germany is their defence looks shite and were at sixes and sevens trying to get in shape to defend v Japan.

Lot of fairly evenly matched teams in this WC and none of them are without quite obvious weaknesses.

France and Brazil if Ney fit have the most 'complete' squads but going to be tough games for both.

Zidane82

It is open and Brazil have a good chance if Neymar is fit.

France for the pace outwide of their front two seem to have the biggest threat and are solid throughout the rest of the team.

Spain v France would be interesting as it would be Spain gambling with high line and possesion of ball in midfield 3 vs Frances midfield. Which in reality has Griezmann who is not a midfielder but more of a second striker but any time France break would be panic stations for Spain.

Germany game for Spain could be same tomorrow and similar risks as they have that pace up top that is dangerous no matter how much of ball Spain have. Issue for Germany is their defence looks shite and were at sixes and sevens trying to get in shape to defend v Japan.

Lot of fairly evenly matched teams in this WC and none of them are without quite obvious weaknesses.

France and Brazil if Ney fit have the most 'complete' squads but going to be tough games for both.

Quite a few people noticed that Brazil played better when Neymar left the field ..

Home of Barca Fans