Which National Team do you support?

What national team do you support?

• The team of your nationality (you were born/live there, or have ancestry from there)

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • Other

Votes: 22 40.0%

• Total voters

Tomba11

I support Sweden, but since we don't often get through the group stages - Spain!
Same here, and I will of course support Spain in the Confederate Cup.
I'll also support Denmark if they go where Sweden maybe can't go (WC 2010)

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
Brasil obviously, I feel a strong connection with Spain too because i'm part Spanish, their squad has many, many Barca players/Canteraños, and they play quality football. I also like to cheer African teams when they play. No real reason or idea why, I just do.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
It would be interesting to know where those who don't support their home national team are from. Is it because you live somewhere without a great footballing tradition i.e. Middle East or is it because you dislike the players on your home NT? I find it difficult to be too enthusiastic about England because I really don't like players such as Rooney and Terry and the peòple who follow England are often wankers, however I'm proud to be English for many other reasons so I'll always support the guys wearing the three lions.

Your Middle East example is rather inaccurate. While the talent these countries produce are not good enough to make it to the world cup, football is widely followed in the Middle East. Most of the goals and highlights uploaded online are from Al Jazeera.

In UAE and Qatar, they are trying to build football facilities using the help of developed institutions such as Manchester United. While not fully established yet, the support to the national team is there, the support to the local clubs is also there and it is constantly improving especially that they are slowly making the clubs professional.

I as an Arab (just like most Arabs out there) will support any Arabic nation playing on an international stage, unconditionally against any other team in the world including Spain, Brazil and Italy.

In terms of football culture we are ahead of North America, Australia, and some parts of Africa. There is a lot of effort put in to acquire knowledge, viewing, keeping commitment, and broadcasting.

Don't mix the (lack of) quality of local players with a lack of footballing culture, because we are enthusiastic about football just as much as your number 1 fan in the world.

Not if you hate cheese like me... :angry:

BECAUSE YOU, SIR, DON'T KNOW GOOD FOOD! Send your plate my way, I will gladly eat all the cheese without any regret and full of appreciation.

Mozzarella, Camembert, Parmesan, Brie, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Riccotta, Dolcelatte....you're a traitor to your heritage! Cheese hating surrender monkey. Now you're going to tell me you don't like apes either.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hassan TPAH

the problems with the arabic countries is their fitness... i dont know if it has to do with the quality of the domestic leagues or there is any other reason but most countries, especially when they play the east asian powers (SK and Japan) are found out in the pace and stamina dept more than anything else... iranians (technically not arabs, but still) are probably the best technical players in asia but when they go to teams like the two koreas they cant find the goals past them...
Plus I think alot of the arabs play within their leagues... even iranians (like masoud, andranik, hashemian, mahdavikia, etc) all play in europe... and they are slightly better equipped to deal with these teams... but the likes of iraq and saudia have next to no players outside the peninsula...

do we have an asian footballing section here?

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Raed, I don't doubt the region's passion for football but football over there doesn't have the same history it does in Europe and Latin America, which is what I was referring to.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
I support Australia first and foremost, but after Australia my favourite team is Argentina. :D

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
I used to be a massive fan of the Netherlands when I was young but now they're full of madridistes :( The Dutch team of 1998 should have won the world cup, they were massively unlucky to lose their semi against Brazil.

Hassan TPAH

Raed, I don't doubt the region's passion for football but football over there doesn't have the same history it does in Europe and Latin America, which is what I was referring to.

That is the case somewhat... but alot of Maghrebi teams have succeeded despite similar histories ...
the rise of africa has a lot to do with the quality of opposition, aided by the number of european based players... in Asia, these guys play probably four matches in four years against quality opposition

Home of Barca Fans