Victor Font

Vilarrubi

He became a president in 2003.
We were as crap back then with the last CL in 1992 and last La Liga in 1999, with Real just won CLs in 1998, 2000 and 2002 with Galacticos and being voted as the best club of the 20th century.

In his first summer in 2003, he didn't rely on Fabregas, Pique or Pedro because they were barely 16.
In 2003, his staff bought: Ronaldinho, Quaresma, Van Bronckhorst, Rustu, Davids (loan), Marquez

In the next summer of 2004, he bought: Etoo, Deco, Larsson (free), Guily, Edmilson, Belletti, Sylvinho.
And in the winter: Albertini (loan), Maxi Lopez

That is 13 new players in the first 12 Months with superstar signings like Ronaldinho, Etoo and Deco who would be an equivalent to 100m signings today.

So, Laporta did build a team around La Masia's core, but massively helped with superstar signings and tons of good and experienced players like captains in former clubs: Larsson, Van Bommel, Giuly, Marquez, Edmilson etc.

In this moment, Ilaix-Fati-Pedri-Araujo-Mingueza isn't that much worse than Xavi-Iniesta-Puyol-Valdes and so-so players like Motta, Gabri, Oleguer from Laporta's first stint.

Obviously, you can't build a team only on superstar signings or only on La Masia youths.
We again have a few nice looking homegrown players and Laporta knows how to buy superstars and players with character.

Especially this part with character is important.
I remember an interview on FcBarcelona website back from 2004/05 season when Rijkaard and Laporta explained that a huge part of their success was buying players who are proven players, fighters and leaders.

For example:
2003 Ronaldinho, a WC winner in 2002 and a leader of Psg back then
2004 Deco, a leader of Porto who just won a CL
2004 Etoo, captain of Cameroon
2004 Guily, a captain of Monaco who lost CL final in 2004 to Deco's Porto. So, basically, we signed both captains/leaders of 2004's CL final, lol
2004 Larsson, all time legend and a leader of Celtic
2005 Van Bommel, captain of Psv and later captain of Bayern
2004 Marquez, captain of Mexico and Monaco
2004 Edmilson, captain of Brazil and Lyon
2004 Davids, no explanation needed

So, Laporta will surely bring more personalities like Puyol and guys from above.
And imo, we will finally get out of this choir-boys spineless era.

Btw, of course that Laporta will be after Haland.

Crazy prices now. Let’s hope COVID lowers the market for a while.

Joan

I doubt Covid does anything of note in the long run. Might lower the prices for the summer, but we're likely not making many (if any) major moves this year.

With Covid passing, the revenues should reach its past heights. Or at least come close to them. For the majority of clubs. I'd think.

Vilarrubi

I doubt Covid does anything of note in the long run. Might lower the prices for the summer, but we're likely not making many (if any) major moves this year.

With Covid passing, the revenues should reach its past heights. Or at least come close to them. For the majority of clubs. I'd think.

Agree prices will just get higher and higher eventually, but can’t see any club throwing around 100m+ any time soon.

serghei

No matter the finances, if Haaland moves this summer, you have to find ways to finance it and put in an offer. Because if he moves to a big club that doesn't sell players for profit, it will become incredibly hard to get him.

If you want to sign Haaland and fix the 9 spot, it's now or probably never. He'll move in the summer imo, and it becomes almost a certainty if Dortmund miss out on top 4 in Bundesliga.

SmilerBam

I think we have no chance to sign Haaland,no matter who will be the president.It's a pipe dream at this point.I think he is bound to City or maybe United,anyway,he'll be in Premier League imo.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I can see him going to City because they'll have the capital to sign him and because of Pep and because his dad played there, but apart from that I don't see him choosing any other PL team over Barca or Real Madrid.

We're just too big even if both clubs are struggling right now. The lifestyle side of living in Barcelona is a big factor too.

serghei

I can see him going to City because they'll have the capital to sign him and because of Pep and because his dad played there, but apart from that I don't see him choosing any other PL team over Barca or Real Madrid.

We're just too big even if both clubs are struggling right now. The lifestyle side of living in Barcelona is a big factor too.

It depends on a lot of factors. Imo, if he was South-American this would've been a slam dunk for Barca or Madrid. But he is from a nation that finds a great fit with Premier League style usually. And top EPL sides also have the greens to finance this for Dortmund, Haaland personally, and Raiola.

SmilerBam

He is norwegian.I don't think he cares that much about the weather,lifestyle allure of Barcelona and Madrid.Anyway,we'll see.I just don't think we have the funds to make this necesarry,of course the appeal of Barca is greater than any PL club.But in normal conditions,not this debt ridden one.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Are we back to the weather/climate preference discussion again? I don’t think it would be a factor, at least not a major one. I don’t believe we are going to get Haaland because of our finances and fierce completion but if Laporta can work his magic to find a way to beat off the competition, good.

Either way this summer is out of the question, since his release won’t be effective until summer 2022, right?

DonAK

It depends on a lot of factors. Imo, if he was South-American this would've been a slam dunk for Barca or Madrid. But he is from a nation that finds a great fit with Premier League style usually. And top EPL sides also have the greens to finance this for Dortmund, Haaland personally, and Raiola.

He is norwegian.I don't think he cares that much about the weather,lifestyle allure of Barcelona and Madrid.Anyway,we'll see.I just don't think we have the funds to make this necesarry,of course the appeal of Barca is greater than any PL club.But in normal conditions,not this debt ridden one.

I am Norwegian.

We love going to Spain.

Haaland want to win the BdO and be recognized as the best player in the World. Barca and Real Madrid have been the place to do that historically.

Again, I don't doubt that a team like Man City might be front runners, but some of you are so negative and pessimistic all the time.

SmilerBam

I am Norwegian.

We love going to Spain.

Haaland want to win the BdO and be recognized as the best player in the World. Barca and Real Madrid have been the place to do that historically.

Again, I don't doubt that a team like Man City might be front runners, but some of you are so negative and pessimistic all the time.

In normal conditions, i think we would be the favourites to sign him.But these are not normal conditions.

DonAK

Given Font kinda tanked his own campaign and how he had to go up against Laporta, getting 33% of the vote in the first exit poll is a very strong result for him.

He'll be back in six years, as a president or in some other capacity.

Home of Barca Fans