Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Zincubus

Banned
@barcastuff: Barcelona coach Tata Martino wants the new centre back to be available for the Spanish Super Cup. The first leg is played on 21 August. [md]

You're not alone , mate !

Arachnid

But he's supposed to be Tata's favourite player from his old team . Seems a no-brainer tbh.

It's not like Newell's was a super rich club, it's not like he was chosen amongst millions of hopefuls- Martino had to work with what he had, and that doesn't mean that a single Newell's player is Barça quality.

Duke

@barcastuff: Barcelona coach Tata Martino wants the new centre back to be available for the Spanish Super Cup. The first leg is played on 21 August. [md]

You're not alone , mate !

lumbergh.jpg

i_bleed_blaugrana

Because the people that matter and have worked with him clearly dont think he is good enough for Barcelona.

One minute people are complaining that the young players dont get enough minutes and next they seem to want anyone signed.

+100

If Vergini wasn't signed by us, he clearly wasn't the answer. Like lets be honest, we all saw a video on YouTube that can be very forgiving and thought he was good. A player looking good on film shouldn't be what a decision of this magnitude should hinge on. If he was good enough, we would have signed him. Who would pass on a free fix to your team's problems if he was the real deal? But then again, it is the Rosell-Zubi shit show, who knows what they are thinking.

Btw, write Bartra off at your own peril. As a player, a new coach (especially since Tata isn't from within) gives players who aren't starting the opportunity to do so. Bartra, Montoya and Sergi all have a great opportunity to actually break into the team and if Tata rewards solid performances with game time, they could surprise a lot of people. So if we don't get a new defender this summer (it's a possibility), although I won't be pleased, it could be a blessing in disguise. Besides, without the pressing from up top, our defense is screwed anyway regardless of if we even got TS.

I would prefer if we just coughed up an extra 5 or 10 mil and get Luiz. We aren't going to get anyone cheap at this point, especially since everyone knows we are looking. Plus this move could potentially break open the window, maybe see Mou try to reunite with Sniejder, maybe Mata moves somewhere else. Wouldn't mind seeing him as Milan's trequartista but now I'm rambling...lolz

If something serious hasn't come out by say next week, our chances of signing someone quality will be pretty slim.

barca1899

Rosell (president): "We want to sign one more player. But you don't always get the player you want as clubs sometimes don't sell." #fcblive

Shegzy

Yeah, I'd agree with that, generally players are at their peak between 26-29. But it can vary. Defenders for example can often continue to play at a high level when they are older, as can players who don't rely on their physicality.

Of course players that rely on physical attributes can decline earlier. This is the context I look at when I consider Cristiano. Once you hit 28, especially as a forward that's the point when you can start declining, sometimes quite rapidly, it depends on the individual. In fact, it may have already started, since he scored 34 league goals last season whereas in the previous season he got 46(although he did improve in the cups). Maybe he will improve a bit, but at 29 it's extremely unlikely he'll improve a lot. It's likely we've seen the best Cristiano the season before last, and I think this is his last season to play at his peak. And the decline, might be slow, a couple of percent a year, but it's still a reduction in performance.

In terms of Iniesta, you can't make a direct comparison because Iniesta is a midfielder and so pace is less important. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts declining a bit in his dribbling soon, but he can make up for that with his positioning and passing, just like Xavi did at that age.

My point is that you can't say that just because Barca turned things around in the past another team has a strong chance to turn it around now. The most likely thing is a turnaround won't happen. It did in the case of Barca, but it needed a lot of things to change. And, at the time it was predictable that the change could be rapid as the potential for Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Eto'o was clear for any Barca fan to see. But that requires a look at the detail. That is what my predictions are about.

Isco and Illara might make an impact, but the most likely thing considering they are only 21 is that they won't. They aren't competing in a normal league, they are competing against a team that has just won the league by a record margin. This demands a high level of consistency, something that is harder to attain at a young age.

Higuain struggled in CL, but RM probably won't face Barca in the CL. I'm talking about the direct competition in the league, this is where losing Higuain is a big blow.

Varane, Ramos and Pepe might be good, but two injuries and they face the same problem we had this season.

As for Puyol, Xavi and co. They played at a level that got Barca 100 points. They don't need to make an impact. They just need to maintain their level. Real Madrid need to improve. But their two best players at that age those two players won't improve, Cristiano hitting 29 as an attacker, and Xabi post 30 as a midfielder, more likely decline a little. At Barca the two best players; Messi and he is 26 so he will likely improve. Iniesta at 29 in midfield he should be able to maintain his standard and maybe improve a little. He also doesn't have heavy defensive duties like Xabi that need physicality.

Looking at the rest of the Madrid squad, I don't really see too much potential. Benzema and Varane I think are the two players with a lot of potential upside, especially Varane. Maybe Di Maria to some extent and Carvajal has a chance to improve right back. But Benzema lacks discipline, Varane might get figured out, Carvajal might flop and Di Maria lacks character.

If they get Bale, then yes he could make an impact. Suarez too if they went for him. Falcao was perfect for them but they missed out on him. And Lewandowski seemingly only wants Bayern. But I do think they need something.

you are bias.illara is 23,isco is 21.you have forgotten neymar is also 21,so if isco can not make an impact because of age,neymar won't be able to make an impact because of age,need to adapt,need to learn language,never played in europe,too skinny so it is easier for isco to make an impact than neymar. And talking about 100 points they were the first to reach it the season before and they didn't take a 7-0 thrashing back then. Getting to 100 points last season and they beating us in elclassico means they are better than us but we were more consistent and talking about xabi and ronaldo declining,xavi and puyol are already some years ahead of both of them in declination and for xabi position they have illara and modric for cover while for xavi and iniesta it is only cesc. About ronaldo relying on physical strength and so declining early eto'o,drogba,giggs were still great at 30yrs.

Shegzy

+100

If Vergini wasn't signed by us, he clearly wasn't the answer. Like lets be honest, we all saw a video on YouTube that can be very forgiving and thought he was good. A player looking good on film shouldn't be what a decision of this magnitude should hinge on. If he was good enough, we would have signed him. Who would pass on a free fix to your team's problems if he was the real deal? But then again, it is the Rosell-Zubi shit show, who knows what they are thinking.

Btw, write Bartra off at your own peril. As a player, a new coach (especially since Tata isn't from within) gives players who aren't starting the opportunity to do so. Bartra, Montoya and Sergi all have a great opportunity to actually break into the team and if Tata rewards solid performances with game time, they could surprise a lot of people. So if we don't get a new defender this summer (it's a possibility), although I won't be pleased, it could be a blessing in disguise. Besides, without the pressing from up top, our defense is screwed anyway regardless of if we even got TS.

I would prefer if we just coughed up an extra 5 or 10 mil and get Luiz. We aren't going to get anyone cheap at this point, especially since everyone knows we are looking. Plus this move could potentially break open the window, maybe see Mou try to reunite with Sniejder, maybe Mata moves somewhere else. Wouldn't mind seeing him as Milan's trequartista but now I'm rambling...lolz

If something serious hasn't come out by say next week, our chances of signing someone quality will be pretty slim.

if we don't sign a cb then the league,copadelrey and everything we compete against real madrid is theirs to lose and they will tear us apart in elclassico because with bale they will become a well oiled counter attacking machine and if we want to operate a kind of philosophy where we are always looking to outscore our opponents i.e they score 5,we score 6,we don't have the right players for this our, only player who passed the 20 goal benchmark is messi and possibly neymar so if messi get injured we won't be able to outscore our opponents. And talking about cb's you can't have an injury prone 35 year old,an inconsistent 26 year old,a short 28yr old dm converted to cb,an inexperienced 22 yr old as ur 4cb option coupled with 2 attacking full back and hope to challenge on all front with a defense like this.in a situation where puyol is injured as he always is, pique suspended and we have elclassico will we play bartra and masch,adriano and masch and expect to win.instead of looking at premier league for cb or anything defensive it will do us a lot of good to look at french league;most of the defenders there are no nonsense,defend first type of defenders we need. And since luiz is second best cb in brazil behind Ts and nkoulou is also second best cb in french league and would be easier to get and not cost much don't know why we are not targetting him,the extra money remaining could then be used to sign kurt zouma and loan him to his current club for 2years.

mittchan82

First the Thiago drama, now this CB drama. Every transfer windows for our club seems like a soap opera now...
Don't we have scouts around the world for this kinda situations? I mean, if we do, why are we paying them if they're not doing their jobs?

Duke

First the Thiago drama, now this CB drama. Every transfer windows for our club seems like a soap opera now...
Don't we have scouts around the world for this kinda situations? I mean, if we do, why are we paying them if they're not doing their jobs?

maybe send them your resume and cover letter explaining how you could do better job?

Home of Barca Fans