Thomas Muller

ASordidGod

Terrible player. Can't run, can't pass, can't dribble, joke of a first touch, not even good at tracking back/pressing. Got decent movement, but so what when you can't finish? Oh, and learn to cross ffs if you're going to play rw. With a fit Robben, even past his prime, Bayern go through comfortably imo. In fairness to Muller Lewandowski was awful too.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Terrible player. Can't run, can't pass, can't dribble, joke of a first touch, not even good at tracking back/pressing. Got decent movement, but so what when you can't finish? Oh, and learn to cross ffs if you're going to play rw. With a fit Robben, even past his prime, Bayern go through comfortably imo. In fairness to Muller Lewandowski was awful too.

Come on. This is getting ridiculous. You are making it sound like Mueller is a sunday league player.

I don't even like Mueller but I find this latest trend of shitting on players for not performing against a certain rival (such as Real Madrid) very absurd.

ASordidGod

Come on. This is getting ridiculous. You are making it sound like Mueller is a sunday league player.

I don't even like Mueller but I find this latest trend of shitting on players for not performing against a certain rival (such as Real Madrid) very absurd.

Well you're right in that I wrote it in anger, but I stand by what I said. The worst "good" player around imo. Good as in, he gets good stats, and is perceived to be so because of them. But in terms of actual footballing ability, he's really poor by top level standards. And no, this isn't an opinion based solely on his performances vs Real. This is based on what I've seen of him over an entire career, which admittedly isn't loads but I've seen him play at least 50 times and in every game, even the ones he scores in, I've been left genuinely questioning how this guy has played for Bayern as long as he has. Must be some intangibles I'm missing, obviously, but to my eye he really is as bad as I've made out. Btw, I know I sound a little like I hate the guy, but actually personality wise I quite like him, it's simply his consistent inability to control a ball, or make a simple pass, that irritates me. :lol:

Yannik

Well you're right in that I wrote it in anger, but I stand by what I said. The worst "good" player around imo. Good as in, he gets good stats, and is perceived to be so because of them. But in terms of actual footballing ability, he's really poor by top level standards. And no, this isn't an opinion based solely on his performances vs Real. This is based on what I've seen of him over an entire career, which admittedly isn't loads but I've seen him play at least 50 times and in every game, even the ones he scores in, I've been left genuinely questioning how this guy has played for Bayern as long as he has. Must be some intangibles I'm missing, obviously, but to my eye he really is as bad as I've made out. Btw, I know I sound a little like I hate the guy, but actually personality wise I quite like him, it's simply his consistent inability to control a ball, or make a simple pass, that irritates me. :lol:

Why are so many people poniting out his passing like it's nonexistant? It's considered one his main strengths, and his first touch is actually pretty good in the way he makes use of it. Müller was liked by Pep, Heynckes, Van Gaal and Löw for his ability to participate in quick one-touch passing combinations in the opponents third. He looks awkward, has skinny legs isn't fast and his dribbling isn't great, but technique wise he's actually fine.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Hey, I have zero problem with you hating the guy, I do too as I have stated multiple times but let's try to be more objective: Mueller scored more goals than Messi and Ronaldo combined in the World Cup so far. He can't dribble and his finishing seems to be rough but he always manages to score crucial goals by being at least knowing where he should be, he is always a danger in the box. His passing is not bad actually.

DennyCrane

Constantly alternating between being the boy next door and Douchebag McGee, it's fascinating tbh. Zero fucks given attitude too.

The last true Bayern player.

Morten

Surely there is a reason why he has been a starter for Bayern and Germany for ages now, cant be that bad.

Question17

Terrible player. Can't run, can't pass, can't dribble, joke of a first touch, not even good at tracking back/pressing.

Its a miracle when Muller successfully walks without tripping on the pitch. So gracious of Bayern Munich to go out of their way to accommodate this blind deaf dumb dope as a regular player. They gave him 7 league medals, 4 cup medals, a champions league medal in a treble season for nothing. Its scary to think what Bayern would have done with more than 10 actual players.

xXKonan

Perhaps Muller's best attribute was being at the right place at the right time.

He had a huge knack of getting into some good positions at the right place and time and scoring some key goals. I never considered him to be all that technically great but to be fair he had a prime Robbery on the wings to help make up for some of his limitations at Bayern and with the National team he is surrounded with players who are also good on the technical end to make up for his limitations and he got the job done in the past.

But with Robbery aging and the arrival of James who is clearly a much superior player in the #10 spot you wonder if trying to shoehorn in Muller who has his fair share of limitations is a good idea.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Its a miracle when Muller successfully walks without tripping on the pitch. So gracious of Bayern Munich to go out of their way to accommodate this blind deaf dumb dope as a regular player. They gave him 7 league medals, 4 cup medals, a champions league medal in a treble season for nothing. Its scary to think what Bayern would have done with more than 10 actual players.

Reactionary garbage.

khaled_a_d

I honestly believe he is an underrated playter rather than overrated, but it seem to me he has declined earlier than he should.

ASordidGod

a) I've already justified my opinion as far as I feel the need to in a later post. b) You're seriously trying to imply that his trophy haul negates what I've said/proves him good TECHNICALLY (which is my issue with him)? O'Shea anyone? :lol:

a) I've already justified my opinion as far as I feel the need to in a later post. b) You're seriously trying to imply that his trophy haul negates what I've said/proves him good TECHNICALLY (which is my issue with him)? O'Shea anyone? :lol:

Funny how this technically limited player somehow manages to be on number two in assists with 14 assists this season in the 5 top leagues having only played 1898 minutes (Kevin de Bruyne leads with 15 assists and 1028 minutes more) - especially as he only had one assist during the first 500 minutes when Ancelotti was still coach there.

His xA (the equal to expected goals for the assistant of the chances) per 90 minutes is 0,48 - Messi 0,47 - Vazquez/Suarez each 0,36 - KdB 0,39 - Özil/Mkhitaryan 0,38 - Neymar 0,62 - so no, that is nothing really surprising especially as he is just about 3 or 4 assists away from leading the historical assist charts for the Bundesliga since assists were counted in 1989.

The offensives of Bayern made their CL goals in the final stage in the CL always when Müller was working centrally with 4 offensives - when they play with 3 midfielders and only 3 offensives, no matter who that is, they do not have open play goals or assists by their offensives as they then dominate ball possession but get static in front. That is nothing new but can be seen the last 6 or 7 years. Bayern gets predictable then. Robben's injury destroyed the match plan.

Müller is underrated because the influence of movement, tactical play, match intelligence and team play are underrated.

Home of Barca Fans