So what's next for Messi?

Temptation

First things first, massive congrats to Messi and Argentina for a remarkable achievement at the global stage.

He'll continue playing for the NT probably statpadding and breaking some records and aiming for another Copa.

But what about his club career and general career from here on? What do you think he's gonna do or should do?

Does he stay at PSG?

Does he return to Barca?

Does he leave for the MLS?

How much more does he have to give? Should he take it easy/retire?

Will he start accepting a bit part role at club level?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Will probably renew for one more year with PSG then return to Argentina to play for Newells. Maybe MLS after that.

At least that's what Aguero alluded to recently as his plan.

FCBfan22

I think he is aiming for Copa America in 2 years. He will play the highest level of football until then and might actually return to Barca for a year or so.

What happens after that is a big question mark. He will probably retire from the NT. However, the big question is, what will he do club football-wise. He retires, still plays on the highest level or moves to MLS.

soul24rage

1. Renew his PSG contract till 2024 and try to win his 5th CL

2. Play the Copa America 2024 and then retire from international football

3. Play in MLS after the Copa America 2024

4. This is me hoping that during the MLS off season, Messi goes on loan to Barca and gets the send off that he thoroughly deserves. But I don't see this happening.

5. This is another part that I wish, but him returning to Newell's, compete in the Copa Libertadores and retire there, but also don't see this happening.

KingLeo10

He doesn't owe Barca or Argentina anything after the joy and glory he brought us for 18 years. In fact, both the club and national team should be immensely proud he's no.1 Barca legend and joint no.1 Argentina legend along with the late, great Diego Maradona.

But one favor please in Feb/March, if I'm not too greedy :lol:

I want him to break Bayern for us Barca fans...

Temptation

He doesn't owe Barca or Argentina anything after the joy and glory he brought us for 18 years. In fact, both the club and national team should be immensely proud he's no.1 Barca legend and joint no.1 Argentina legend along with the late, great Diego Maradona.

But one favor please in Feb/March, if I'm not too greedy :lol:

I want him to break Bayern for us Barca fans...

Mbappe the likelier candidate to hurt Bayern since he has given them problems pretty recently.

Club Football is faster and I doubt Messi will be as up for it or motivated for it anyways.

KingLeo10

If Mbappe comes out of this final as angry/motivated as 14-15 Messi did, then even the bottle jobs PSG might win a CL...

How's Ramos looking these days? Still playing at a decent level?

KingLeo10

Mbappe the likelier candidate to hurt Bayern since he has given them problems pretty recently.

Club Football is faster and I doubt Messi will be as up for it or motivated for it anyways.

Mbappe is the best player in the world right now. But I just want Messi to score a couple on Bayern for all the destruction Bayern has put on Barca last 2-3 seasons :lol:

Temptation

If Messi is targetting the next Copa he'll still have to maintain a good enough level at a top league.

No reason he can't come to Barca for a couple of years in that case.

Birdy

He should have retired tonight...
What other best moment to retire than when winning what he longed for many years?

In the end the only Barca legends that knew WHEN the right moment is to leave were Xavi and Iniesta

KingLeo10

If Messi is targetting the next Copa he'll still have to maintain a good enough level at a top league.

No reason he can't come to Barca for a couple of years in that case.

It depends on his motivation. He might just play for fun/free flowing football for 1-2 more years.

Or he poured every last ounce into this WC, and he will fall off a cliff. Who knows. His trophy cabinet and legacy is complete though, so whatever happens from here on is inconsequential legacy wise.

Actually secretly hoping he comes to the MLS so I get to watch him live more often.

Home of Barca Fans