Sergio Busquets

Blinkfloyd

If you had taken 5 seconds to read the article and another 5 seconds to think about the article you would maybe not post the article.

Yes it is very obvious that football will be more and more physical - as it will be more and more technical and more and more psychological. It improves naturally, in all aspects. And yes it is true that Klopps gegenpressing came in style 10 years ago and somewhat was able to counter Peps more control based game for a while. It is also true that in the early 2000s there was the exact same talk about the future players being 185cm+ minimum and physique becoming more important, we saw what happened then with Barcelona and Spain, they destroyed football.

Football is both a bit cyclical, and a bit rock-paper-scissor. Barcelonas style since long is about controlling the ball and the game, they should continue to build on that style the best they can, and not try and follow the cycles manically in order to compete with other clubs better suited for other styles. Busquets' style and class is still great and very much good enough for both Barcelona and Spain, and he should not be auto-blamed the few times this team lose.

True. Busquets is not one take all the blame.
Physicality and Technical skills go hand in hand until limits of human body are reached.
The issue is that in football , physicality has long taken a 2nd position. However going forward a minimum standard would be required similar to military recruitment and training.
They are 2 parallel streams . A stronger footballer is a better footballer maybe it will also help unlock their full potential.
A stronger footballer is faster , can jump higher , kick harder. Now you take these improvements and go back to how you can use that to play better football.
Mark rippetoe the author of starting strength has talked extensively about this.
Strength training is universal and should not be mixed with sport specific training.

Bobo32

No one here says we should CHANGE style.
But we should ADAPT it to what football has become today.
Pep does it at City. Why shouldN'T we do it as well?

Barcelona should not play Rodri because they have Busquets who is much superior.
Barcelona are in a rebuilding phase now though, after (at least) three poor managers and two disastrous presidents over the last 10 years. They were saved for a long time by Messi (mostly) and (partly) some of the other remnants of the great team that Pep built, together with two very expensive signings in Suarez and Neymar.

Xavi arrived in the middle of the season and although I expected more from him faster, he is beginning to turn this around. In summer there will be quite a few signings as well. Premier League is different (but slightly worse) compared to La Liga, so Barcelona should "adapt" differently to City, but Xavi should be given time to build what he believes in, and I wonder if he won't continue to trust Busquets for longer than you had wished (just like every other manager did, including your favourite Koeman) while also being more successful than you could have wished.

Blinkfloyd

I want to clarify something on ?Kick Harder?
Does not mean you put in extra effort ?Power over placement of a shot?
I mean for the same amount of effort the ball will travel faster from your foot.
So placement shots are faster.
Human body is a machine. The less the brain needs to work on generating power on a kick. The more it has left over to control where the ball will go.
By squatting more weight you will have faster velocity on the ball leaving the foot.

Bobo32

True. Busquets is not one take all the blame.
Physicality and Technical skills go hand in hand until limits of human body are reached.
The issue is that in football , physicality has long taken a 2nd position. However going forward a minimum standard would be required similar to military recruitment and training.
They are 2 parallel streams . A stronger footballer is a better footballer maybe it will also help unlock their full potential.
A stronger footballer is faster , can jump higher , kick harder. Now you take these improvements and go back to how you can use that to play better football.
Mark rippetoe the author of starting strength has talked extensively about this.
Strength training is universal and should not be mixed with sport specific training.

If Rippetoe advised Busquets to drink 5 gallons of milk a day he would've become a bit stronger and heavier but he would not become a better footballer.
Busquets has worked on his physique obviously. He runs in a year more than most of you writing here did in your lives, and he probably lifted more weights too. His natural talent lies in spatial understanding, timing, quickness of the mind and feet etc and this is where he shines. He could never become a sprinter or a weight lifter, and he wouldn't become a better footballer by focusing a lot more on training for these sports instead of football. The transfer to football from lifting weights is very dubious and not something for us to speculate a lot about, but players with more natural talent for speed or strength will make more use of the training that is done in these areas.

Blinkfloyd

I don?t agree with Rippetoe on his diet. I do however agree on his training program for linear progression.
I don?t know if you have done strength training.
However a person can go from squatting 60kg for 5 reps to 120kg for 5 reps
In less than a year with no difference in weight.
That is double the strength.
You cannot argue that it does not translate to running faster
F = M.a
Force production has increased for very little or no gain in mass.
Hence the athlete is faster.

Blinkfloyd

You can check out training for Olympic sprinting videos on youtube
Squats - General overall strength.
Power cleans - Power on demand generation by athlete.

I am not indicating busquets should become a Olympic sprinter or weight lifter.
As you have correctly pointed out his strengths.
Being stronger is going to complement and raise the ceiling

Birdy

Barcelona should not play Rodri because they have Busquets who is much superior.
Barcelona are in a rebuilding phase now though, after (at least) three poor managers and two disastrous presidents over the last 10 years. They were saved for a long time by Messi (mostly) and (partly) some of the other remnants of the great team that Pep built, together with two very expensive signings in Suarez and Neymar.

Xavi arrived in the middle of the season and although I expected more from him faster, he is beginning to turn this around. In summer there will be quite a few signings as well. Premier League is different (but slightly worse) compared to La Liga, so Barcelona should "adapt" differently to City, but Xavi should be given time to build what he believes in, and I wonder if he won't continue to trust Busquets for longer than you had wished (just like every other manager did, including your favourite Koeman) while also being more successful than you could have wished.

Some propositions there are meaningless
We don't adapt to City or any other team. We need to adapt to how the sport is being played in 2022.
And No, LL is far worse than EPL. Only delusion can get one to say the opposite

As for Busi, the fact that Xavi plays him doesn't mean that he is RIGHTLY trusted.
There are many reasons why he plays him (like being the player he likes the most, even though that doesn't have to give any merit to Busi).
It's a non-sequitur.
You are employing a common logical fallacy. You are taking the given (that he plays) as proof of something (that he is necessary), where there is no cause-effect relation shown

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
It's not that he had a particularly terrible game or that he made stupid individual mistakes that led to a goal (which he has in the past), it's that for I-don't-know-how-many-seasons-in-a-row he's been totally exposed when the stakes are high, and in the past it used to be Bayern and Liverpool, but nowadays it's freaking Frankfurt and Levante... This guy is done, the sooner we deal with it the better!

Bobo32

I don?t agree with Rippetoe on his diet. I do however agree on his training program for linear progression.
I don?t know if you have done strength training.
However a person can go from squatting 60kg for 5 reps to 120kg for 5 reps
In less than a year with no difference in weight.
That is double the strength.
You cannot argue that it does not translate to running faster
F = M.a
Force production has increased for very little or no gain in mass.
Hence the athlete is faster.

No that is mostly neuronal improvement, adapting to the exercise, and every player in the Barcelona squad could no doubt squat 120kg for 5 reps, even little Riqui I reckon. What is more important though is the strength and power they have in football specific movements, jumping on one leg, changing directions etc.
The "diet" was more about him replying to those claiming they "could not gain weight" by the way, sorry for adding that w. tongue in cheek.

Yes if you want to sprint fast in one direction for appr. 10 seconds then you can benefit a lot by lifting weights. If you want to become good at football lifting weights could also be of some use, but the time and energy would in my mind no doubt be better spent on the football pitch.

Bobo32

Some propositions there are meaningless
We don't adapt to City or any other team. We need to adapt to how the sport is being played in 2022.
And No, LL is far worse than EPL. Only delusion can get one to say the opposite

As for Busi, the fact that Xavi plays him doesn't mean that he is RIGHTLY trusted.
There are many reasons why he plays him (like being the player he likes the most, even though that doesn't have to give any merit to Busi).
It's a non-sequitur.
You are employing a common logical fallacy. You are taking the given (that he plays) as proof of something (that he is necessary), where there is no cause-effect relation shown

No I am not saying that at all, but simply that every coach so far has trusted him. As we know, three or four coaches could be in the wrong, but with Busquets it must be a bit over 10 coaches since he was according to one user apparently found out 10 years ago... Your favourite went out of his way to play him even in a system that is clearly not suited for him.

Jadentheman

If Rippetoe advised Busquets to drink 5 gallons of milk a day he would've become a bit stronger and heavier but he would not become a better footballer.
Busquets has worked on his physique obviously. He runs in a year more than most of you writing here did in your lives, and he probably lifted more weights too. His natural talent lies in spatial understanding, timing, quickness of the mind and feet etc and this is where he shines. He could never become a sprinter or a weight lifter, and he wouldn't become a better footballer by focusing a lot more on training for these sports instead of football. The transfer to football from lifting weights is very dubious and not something for us to speculate a lot about, but players with more natural talent for speed or strength will make more use of the training that is done in these areas.

5 gallons of milk (especially puss filled cow milk gross) is super unhealthy. Rippetoe is terrible on diet

Total-Football

Insanity is playing buskets alba in a hot europeen atmosphere and not to expect humiliation. It happened for years why wont it happen again? We got accustomed to it. Forkroad for xavi. Either accomodate the catalans like they always do there or be balsy and chase them out of the club. U cant treat 2 tumors by pushing to the side (bench) tumors ought to be removed.

Blinkfloyd

[MENTION=11970]Jadentheman[/MENTION]
Yeah lol. Terrible on diet. Also I have doubts on his low bar squat.

[MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION]
You agree lifting weights helps tremendously for 100m dash.
Agreed in football you won?t be running 100m.
I think general data point is that sprints are usually 20-30.

Given that the start of the 100m requires tremendous power generation/burst of power this resembles football sprint closely.

So why would it not help.?

Also I agree with you on neuro muscular adaptations when you increase squat from 60kg to 120kg . yes maybe 50 percent of it but not all of it and this I will tell you from personal experience.

Also I think you are misreading my intention. I am not indicating a stronger footballer is better than busquets.
You take Busquets put him on strength training for a year he will become a better footballer. In fact unlock more of that football potential
Because his mind may think of certain things however he can?t do them on the pitch because he knows his physical limitations.
So A stronger Busquets is a better player than current Busquets.

Last edited:

Blinkfloyd

Strength training should be main focus usually in the off-season I.e from May
to September.
These guys are professional footballers just like how we jobs. It is year round job.
If some people don?t want to do it. There are always younger, hunger lions to do it.
It is the nature of the game.

Home of Barca Fans