Sergio Busquets

serghei

It is true.

Peps midfields were never physical and it was a shock to the system for football at that time that a midfield like that could dominate the game and more physical opponents through use of ball.

Teams over time got wise to it and adopted aspects of Peps football with more physical players and that advantage was gone.

Barca midfield never dominated europe again after 2011.

One of your worst claims on this website. Pep left, that's why the advantage was gone. If Klopp leaves Liverpool and you name a bunch of average managers after him, be sure they will decline too.

JamDav1982

One of your worst claims on this website. Pep left genius, that's why the advantage was gone. If Klopp leaves Liverpool and you name a bunch of average managers after him, be sure they will decline too.

Pep was there in 2012 genius and hasnt won CL since genius.

Pep could see it coming which is why he tried to change formation in last year.

Stop spouting shite.

Fact is that midfield and style never dominated after 2011 and they tried. Teams got wise to it. Learned from it and adapted.

Last edited:

serghei

Pep was there in 2012 genius and hasnt won CL since genius.

Pep could see it coming which is why he tried to change formation in last year.

Stop spouting shite.

Fact is that midfield and style never dominated after 2011 and they tried.

:lol: So your claim is actually that Chelsea figured out Pep in 2012, not that they survived an ongoing onslaught by pure luck and inspired goalkeeping. That's like saying Simeone figured out Klopp in 2020. Give it up. A moronic argument to claim Pep's Barca weren't a physical team.

Similar team with current Liverpool in terms of physicality. Speed where you need it (much like current Liverpool), stamina in midfield (Xavi and Iniesta among the most hard-working midfielders in the world, especially Xavi who never stopped running in a match), strength in defense with warriors like Puyol or Mascherano, beastliness wide with Dani Alves, winning mentality with Eto'o or David Villa. You name it, they had it.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

:lol: So your claim is actually that Chelsea figured out Pep in 2012. That's like saying Simeone figured out Klopp in 2020. Give it up. A moronic argument to claim Pep's Barca weren't a physical team.

Similar team with current Liverpool in terms of physicality.

Nope my claim is Peps style could not beat a poor Chelsea side with ten men. Wouldnt even give Chelsea credit for much other than sitting deep and limiting chances. D

My claim is he tried to change way team played and set up as could teams becoming more wise to it.

No it is nothing like Liverpools team or approach. Completely different.

Peps midfield were never physical. They changed football and what folk though could win with.

Your idea that they pressed for 90 minutes is moronic.

Last edited:

serghei

Nope my claim is Peps style could not beat a poor Chelsea side with ten men. Wouldnt even give Chelsea credit for much other than sitting deep and limiting chances. D

My claim is he tried to change way team played and set up as could teams becoming more wise to it.

Peps midfield were never physical. They changed football and what folk though could win with.

Bullshit claims through and through. I distinctly remember opposition fans accusing our players of doping because they have never seen pressing like that. You're just making up stuff so you could back up a stupid claim, textbook JamDav.

Good night.

JamDav1982

Nah what I said is Barca were so good on the ball under Pep that it made up for 'physical aspects the team lacked'.

Then went on to speak about Xavi, Iniesta and Busi specifically and how that was an area of team other sides learned from and adapted to point it became less of an advantage.

You then chime in as if the claim was the team had zero physicality and Barca were a team of pressing beast that pressed for 90 mins...

Stop spouting shite and not even understanding what was said.

Textbook Serghie slow on uptake.

Last edited:

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Weird to claim that Pep's Barca was not a great pressing team.
Kinda like forgetting about MJ's defense. Arguably the NBA's greatest scorer of all time but his defense might have been even better.
It was like that with Pep's Barca. Relentless pressure the whole game when not in possession.

feggydinho

I don't think so, Our forwards in that game was Cuenca, Sanchez, Messi and Chelsea were literally lucky in that game, we got so many chances and even hit the bar at least twice so it's not as if they figured out anything

JamDav1982

I don't think so, Our forwards in that game was Cuenca, Sanchez, Messi and Chelsea were literally lucky in that game, we got so many chances and even hit the bar at least twice so it's not as if they figured out anything

Cuenca, Sanchez and prime Messi is a decent forward line against that Chelsea side and Barca also gets lucky when Terry needlessly gets sent off.

That was a poor Chelsea side down to ten men and it is not about them breaking any code but just realising best way to limit that Barca team and improve their chances.

Not me who brought up Chelsea or who assumes Barca win CL if Chelsea dont beat them.

This idea it is then impossible to win without Pep after that as he was a genius is ludicrous. Even then it feeds into my argument that the team and style was a one off and worked for its time but some players from then were after that not the same when football moved on. It became increasingly difficult for some of those same players to perform at level they showed in Peps time.

Barca have not have a midfield that dominated Europe in ten years or even close to it and not matter how often likes of Busi get bullied and fail they still get revered as core of team the following year.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Had more to do with Nico and Gavi also subbed out and our future gem Mavericky and Coutinho coming on imo.

That and the fact Espanyol had already started pressing before Busquets went off and he was fucking up as well.

Players are still shit scared to lose plays its part. They freeze a bit when game is tight and they are under pressure both from opposition and from themselves to make correct decisions.

The amount of fucking stupid decisions Barca players make at moment when games are tight is ridiculous. Almost paralyzed with fear and cant make calm decisions when gets to that point.

Runs right through the team.

khaled_a_d

The thing is Pep Barca changed many things universally in the game. What Busi used to stand out doing in the past in 2011, are now things that are present in most top DMs. He ain't that innovative right now.

Elements from that team have been adopted by most managers so now we find them in many teams. Does DM that drops often to pick up the ball is that uncommon now? Nope. Chelsea of all teams has one. Are keepers who are good with the ball a novelty these days? Hell no, now a keeper that is shit with his feet stands out even more than a guy who knows how to pass. Is False 9 surprising to see these days? Not at all, several teams play with a version of that.

Busi might've been unique in 2011, now the only thing that stands out about him in a clear way is how slow and weak he is defensively without the ball.

Are we talking about 2021 Busquets? or prime Busquets? If it is the former I agree but if it is the later it is insulting to one of the smartest players in the history of the game.
Busquets wasn't just a guy who connected defense with midfield, he was elite all around DM who had it all, his defense was always on point, always at the right place at the right time, always making the right play, always able to provoke opponents, invite pressure without giving the ball.
But father time is undefeated as Sir Charles Barkley always say and it hit Busquets early, at first he wasn't able to cope with counter attacks, then he wasn't able to be at the right place at the right time because his legs isn't quick enough for the decisions his brain take, now even his own ball skills are suspect and usually needs a rest in order to be able to show it.
But even in 2021, his ability to connect defense with midfield for a sole DM isn't as common as you make it, not that many top DM can do it and mostly they are more comfortable in 2 DM system where the load is shared on 2 players.
Make no mistake, replacing Busquets is a must but the process will be more painful as you think.
I don't blame our coaches for having him as a starter tbh, our alternatives are meh at best. We need to prioterize a starting DM in the market

JamDav1982

Busquets was best midfielder of all time perhaps with Xavi and Iniesta and style that team played but it is not just about father time.

He has been miles off that same players and effective as he was since Pep left and the style changed. Been poor year after year in the hammerings Barca took in CL etc.

Always been good on ball though when chance arose but that is what has declined more than anything. His consistency with the ball and slow legs are being caught out time and again.

How can anyone watch this Barca and think Busi connects defence and midfield well is beyond me. It is one of the biggest weaknesses in the side to play out effectively from there.

He is giving away chances every single game with way gives away ball in that area and that is when he gets on ball and is not too slow to make space or falling for fouls and slowing game down.

His passing has been shite this season far too often hit or miss and that is not what teams need from a DM.

Last edited:

gasgas

Are we talking about 2021 Busquets? or prime Busquets? If it is the former I agree but if it is the later it is insulting to one of the smartest players in the history of the game.
Busquets wasn't just a guy who connected defense with midfield, he was elite all around DM who had it all, his defense was always on point, always at the right place at the right time, always making the right play, always able to provoke opponents, invite pressure without giving the ball.
But father time is undefeated as Sir Charles Barkley always say and it hit Busquets early, at first he wasn't able to cope with counter attacks, then he wasn't able to be at the right place at the right time because his legs isn't quick enough for the decisions his brain take, now even his own ball skills are suspect and usually needs a rest in order to be able to show it.
But even in 2021, his ability to connect defense with midfield for a sole DM isn't as common as you make it, not that many top DM can do it and mostly they are more comfortable in 2 DM system where the load is shared on 2 players.
Make no mistake, replacing Busquets is a must but the process will be more painful as you think.
I don't blame our coaches for having him as a starter tbh, our alternatives are meh at best. We need to prioterize a starting DM in the market

How about a double pivot of nico and frankie

serghei

Current Busi of course. The current version of Busi is not doing much that others don't do better. We will have a hard time replacing old version of Busi, this version not so much normally, if not for our dire financial situation.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans