Sergio Busquets

Rory

He had a great game today, playing two assistworthy passes, multiple patented perfect passes between the lines, a few long passes out to the winger, and generally finding the right player at the right time.
As he wasn't instructed to fall inbetween the CBs, the angles were generally great, and he could hold the position 20m into the offensive half and distribute the ball safely and precisely, while being in the perfect position to break up any counter attacks.

While he was on the pitch, Barcelona were dominating. As many times before this season, Barcelona lost the lead after Busquets went out.
You can say that Cadiz, like opponents before, was always going to push forward at the end, whether Busquets was on or not. Still, I am sure Barcelona would win this game if Busquets had stayed on.

Because his level is being able to play well against Cadiz and the bottom half of la liga table. Which were the many games this season we were leading with Busquets and then when he went off we lost the lead?

Windhook

Barca dominated because Cadiz parked the bus for 80 minutes. Nothing to do with Busi's performance. He didn't even think of tackling the ball on a few occasions, letting opponents pass him by. The prime Busquets of 2010 era wouldn't let this happen. He still has the passing, but the rest of his skills that made him great once are gone.

Bobo32

Because his level is being able to play well against Cadiz and the bottom half of la liga table. Which were the many games this season we were leading with Busquets and then when he went off we lost the lead?

Valencia was one game. I looked through the league games for a bit, maybe I missed some, or there were more in the CL or something, or it was only that game where they actually lost points.
But Busquets was subbed with this type of turnaround of the game many times before this season.
Here is another game where we seem to have lost control after he was subbed, although not losing points: https://understat.com/match/14905

Last edited:

raedkuwait

This club will go no where and keeps regressing until all the players from all those humiliation are gone (rome, liveepool, etc) from stegen to this clown.

Rory

Valencia was one game. I looked through the league games for a bit, maybe I missed some, or there were more in the CL or something, or it was only that game where they actually lost points.
But Busquets was subbed with this type of turnaround of the game many times before this season.
Here is another game where we seem to have lost control after he was subbed, although not losing points: https://understat.com/match/14905

Right so your initial statement is a load of nonsense. Busquets is essentially what Lenglet is. Looks good for 60-70mins but has 20-30mins a game where he makes the team dangerously vulnerable. Busquets does that at least half of the matches this year. And every single one against a big team

Bobo32

Right so your initial statement is a load of nonsense. Busquets is essentially what Lenglet is. Looks good for 60-70mins but has 20-30mins a game where he makes the team dangerously vulnerable. Busquets does that at least half of the matches this year. And every single one against a big team

No, it's what I've seen. I have not seen him have bad spells in the games, certainly not in half of them.

Rory

No, it's what I've seen. I have not seen him have bad spells in the games, certainly not in half of them.

Then you?re failing to see what?s right before your eyes. I get it, I?ve done the same with players that I liked in the past before eventually realising actually no this isn?t good enough. He is often dribbled past as if he?s not there, presses out of position leaving giant holes, sits just in front of the cb?s but offers no protection to counter attacks.

His passing and technique is excellent and great to watch. However, this year he has been giving the ball away many times and even within our own half. After giving it away he?s not quick enough to challenge for the ball leading to a dangerous counter or him having to commit a foul.

Those things I mention aren?t good enough for a Barca dm. I feel like the only way you?d see he was a detriment to us most games would be if he scored an own goal each game. Actually analyse his position in a full match, looking at the shape of the team and where he?s supposed to be and you?ll spot plenty of times he?s not where she should be

Bobo32

I see him being out of position A LOT under Koeman. First he was played in the 4-2-3-1, went on forward runs into the area and stuff - not at all suited for him
Now he is used more as a pivote, but in most games he is clearly instructed to go down into the same line as the central defenders, which I don't think works. He is not great at finding passes from these positions (there are few players to find in this setup) and it is just causing confusion in transitions sometimes.
His faults are easy to spot - he is not fast, agile, strong, he doesn't really dribble, and his stamina is probably not great.
Of course you need to play to his strengths, you always had to. He needs to defend a small space, as Cruyff once instructed Pep to do. He is the best passer of the team, and with the right pressing in front of him he's great defensively as well. I see him being able to play in a dominating Barcelona for 5 years more.

Rory

So essentially you think we should strive to create the perfect conditions in the team just so busquets can not be a liability? Even though creating those perfect conditions would hamper the effectiveness of those players in their new roles? That is simply a bad idea. If Busquets was 25 it might be worth considering but how you think 5 more years is beyond me. Does he have to get to the point where he's "running" forwards but not actually moving to be seen as a liability by you?

Bobo32

So essentially you think we should strive to create the perfect conditions in the team just so busquets can not be a liability? Even though creating those perfect conditions would hamper the effectiveness of those players in their new roles? That is simply a bad idea. If Busquets was 25 it might be worth considering but how you think 5 more years is beyond me. Does he have to get to the point where he's "running" forwards but not actually moving to be seen as a liability by you?

I think Barcelona should use the quality they have in the best way possible. I also like the style they used so dominantly before, when Busquets was the pivot.
Busquets is one of the players that are of the highest quality, and proven to work. Use him correctly, and there could be synergy with most of the other players of similar high quality that they already have.
I don't think the play should be ordered around making Griezmann, Dembele, Dest or even De Jong "look good".

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I think Barcelona should use the quality they have in the best way possible. I also like the style they used so dominantly before, when Busquets was the pivot.
Busquets is one of the players that are of the highest quality, and proven to work. Use him correctly, and there could be synergy with most of the other players of similar high quality that they already have.
I don't think the play should be ordered around making Griezmann, Dembele, Dest or even De Jong "look good".

Which quality ? :lol:

Rory

The best quality we have is to have Busquets sit on the bench. No matter who is playing around you if your physicality and speed is so bad you are a liability to the team. Frenkie, Puig and Pedri would be just as effective a midfield 3 at this point in time. Frenkie being the most defensively placed player. Why do I think this? All three of them can at least track back, and press the opponent. Busquets is a better cdm than Frenkie in receiving the ball from the CB's and that's where it stops.

Frenkie is better in almost every other way that matters. Busquets might do a few things in a game that make him look like his former self and look really intelligent. This just masks over all the issues he causes.

Home of Barca Fans