Sergiño Dest (loaned to PSV)

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I would not sell until a replacement arrives. At this point we probably should have kept Emerson too.

I would have liked for Emerson to stay too, but he hasn't been good for Tottenham so we made the right decision it seems.

Unless we have a replacement who is better than him or a better option lined up, we shouldn't sell him.
We have had so many quick exits in the full back position, without a permanent fix. The revolving door approach is not going to help us.

We want to sign Mazaroui on free transfer in the summer. Until then we'll have to use Alves/Araujo/Mingueza and just try to work around it.

Dest is talented, but plays like he has no clue and it sounds like Xavi has no patience or time to teach him the basics of playing that position.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I would have liked for Emerson to stay too, but he hasn't been good for Tottenham so we made the right decision it seems.

We want to sign Mazaroui on free transfer in the summer. Until then we'll have to use Alves/Araujo/Mingueza and just try to work around it.

Dest is talented, but plays like he has no clue and it sounds like Xavi has no patience or time to teach him the basics of playing that position.

Is this Mazaroui guy any good? I hope we are not getting him just to placate the Fat Rat, that this guy is actually brought here based on his own merit. And if we don't get Haaland, sell him and get somebody else? This bandage approach just sucks.

Windhook

I sense Xavi will bet on Dani Alves until the rest of the season. Applying Araujo as RB in the last few games was enough of signal Dest is for sell.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Is this Mazaroui guy any good? I hope we are not getting him just to placate the Fat Rat, that this guy is actually brought here based on his own merit. And if we don't get Haaland, sell him and get somebody else? This bandage approach just sucks.

He was Ajax's Starting RB over Dest.

Porque

Well he is Ajax starting RB and currently injured, so that checks both our boxes.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Dest is not on high wages, so unless there is a really good offer money-wise, it makes no sense to offload him, especially before we get anybody else, however good or bad they will be.

The club has been so impatient and selling players for little money just to bring in some much-needed cash, without taking the long view, I feel.

Windhook

I am not sure who would pay 20 for him.
Even 15.

In which area is Dest good, except for being young?

His basic value is 25-30m which is basis for a club like Barca. Some Eastern European clubs sell for more than 10m nowadays and Dest is not a bad player at all, he's just unsuitable for our current system.

BBZ8800

His basic value is 25-30m which is basis for a club like Barca. Some Eastern European clubs sell for more than 10m nowadays and Dest is not a bad player at all, he's just unsuitable for our current system.

Name 2 clubs who would pay 30m for him.

Take this into account:
1. he is not good enough for Barca thus he is surely not good for better teams than Barca
2. that means that he can be bought only by teams smaller than Barca (let's say Betis) and those teams don't have 30m for fullbacks.
The only option is being sold to a 17th placed EPL team with lots of money and average quality.

Windhook

Taken from Semedo's Wikipedia
On 23 September 2020, Semedo moved to English Premier League club Wolverhampton Wanderers in a three-year contract (with an option of two further years) for an initial transfer fee of €30 million (approx. ?27.5 million, with a potential further ?9.2 million in add-ons) paid by Wolves.

I could name all PL clubs from 8th to 20th place that are lined up to sign Dest for around 25-30m as he is a player that suits PL's style of football. Of course the inferior financially La Liga clubs cannot afford his services, not unless some of the stimulus deals by LFP come into effect.

sMiLeYz

The move makes no sense, imo. You're a new coach (Xavi) and you're going to throw a fullback thats barely played 3 full games for you under the bus for team issues. To me theres more to this. Dest is being moved so Barca can buy Ferran Torres, otherwise they wouldn't have the funds.

ajnotkeith

Take this into account:
1. he is not good enough for Barca thus he is surely not good for better teams than Barca
2. that means that he can be bought only by teams smaller than Barca (let's say Betis) and those teams don't have 30m for fullbacks.
The only option is being sold to a 17th placed EPL team with lots of money and average quality.

Or maybe we misjudged his ability?

serghei

Taken from Semedo's Wikipedia

I could name all PL clubs from 8th to 20th place that are lined up to sign Dest for around 25-30m as he is a player that suits PL's style of football. Of course the inferior financially La Liga clubs cannot afford his services, not unless some of the stimulus deals by LFP come into effect.

Dest is a good player with serious attacking talent, but I question his mental toughness and his physicality. I want players with more grit. Dest seems brittle. Fullback is a position where you face arguably the opponent's most dangerous players in 1 vs 1. If you look and act scared or hesitant, you're toast. Nobody smells a shaky defender better than a solid winger, it's practically their bread and butter so to speak.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans