Sergi Samper

BBZ8800

Did you see any of Granada's games last season? The team was complete fucking mess and was doomed to relegate from the beginning. There was no chemistry what so ever between the players since 70% of the squad were loanees and none of them did well.

Loaning Samper to Granada may have seemed like a good idea in the beginning with Paco Jemez taking over the team but after he was sacked everything changed. It would of been a miracle if Samper had had a succesful season at Granada so you cant judge him based on his time there. Samper has always showed potential whenever he got chances to play with the first team at Barca and he deserves a full season here to prove whether he's the real deal or not.

Isn't that the same answer in majority of cases when our average youngsters are loaned?

For years, Halil had alibis because his teams were:
1. weak
2. played defensive football
3. had a bad coach
= and those were reasons why he hadn't shine

Samper was average in Barca B in the last years, being afraid to play in relegation matches.
In our A team, he had 2 good matches (friendly in Usa and against Apoel in a CL at Camp Nou).
In majority of other matches he was average to very bad.

Anyway, what is his position?
He is a horrible Cdm for Barca's standard.
And he is so not a type of a Cm which we use.

So, not only that we would need to give him 100s of chances now, but also we would try to teach him to play one position.
And again, he lacks skills both at Cdm and Cm.

Roberto was at least a jack of all trades, master of none. And he could have played ok-ish (but not great) at all positions.
This guy can't play ok-ish on any position.

People are always slightly hyped and emotional when it comes to La Masia kids since we don't have too many La Masia kids anymore.
But ask yourself a question: imagine that Sergi Samper is a random 5M youngster whom we just signed from Portugal, Czech Republic or Russia and that he has his current set of skills.

Do you think that people would want to give him 100s of chances or that majority on this forum would say: this is the most average player ever seen. Why did we splash 5M on this guy?

hulinat

Isn't that the same answer in majority of cases when our average youngsters are loaned?

For years, Halil had alibis because his teams were:
1. weak
2. played defensive football
3. had a bad coach
= and those were reasons why he hadn't shine

Samper was average in Barca B in the last years, being afraid to play in relegation matches.
In our A team, he had 2 good matches (friendly in Usa and against Apoel in a CL at Camp Nou).
In majority of other matches he was average to very bad.

Anyway, what is his position?
He is a horrible Cdm for Barca's standard.
And he is so not a type of a Cm which we use.

So, not only that we would need to give him 100s of chances now, but also we would try to teach him to play one position.
And again, he lacks skills both at Cdm and Cm.

Roberto was at least a jack of all trades, master of none. And he could have played ok-ish (but not great) at all positions.
This guy can't play ok-ish on any position.

People are always slightly hyped and emotional when it comes to La Masia kids since we don't have too many La Masia kids anymore.
But ask yourself a question: imagine that Sergi Samper is a random 5M youngster whom we just signed from Portugal, Czech Republic or Russia and that he has his current set of skills.

Do you think that people would want to give him 100s of chances or that majority on this forum would say: this is the most average player ever seen. Why did we splash 5M on this guy?

I actually think Halilovic had a pretty good season in Gijon considering it was his first season in top division. The problem is that he was way too selfish, arrogant and thought too much of himself. Samper is the exact opposite of that. I've never thought of Samper as a defending midfielder although he can play there but he is best suited for the Xavi role because he's a great dribbler and passer. Whenever i've seen him play with the first team he's always looked very mature and calm but a bit too shy to try anything spectacular which is understandable.

Samper is a very smart player and he has followed players like Xavi and Busquets very closely like he stated in an interview. I still believe in him and think he has alot to offer to this team especially under a proper coach and if things work work out then great. All he needs is 1 full season with the 1st team to show what he's got.

denn

I would like to see him at Girona next season. He would play great amount of minutes, better than sitting on the bench. Granada was terrible club and place to improve.

hulinat

I would like to see him at Girona next season. He would play great amount of minutes, better than sitting on the bench. Granada was terrible club and place to improve.

Bad idea. Feel like it would end up like what happened to Granada with Girona being relegated. Samper shouldn't be loaned anymore, he needs to stay at Barca and get enough minutes here n there to show what he has to offer and if it doesn't work out for him, then sell him after the season with a buyback clause.

BBZ8800

Samper is a very smart player and he has followed players like Xavi and Busquets very closely like he stated in an interview. I still believe in him and think he has alot to offer to this team especially under a proper coach and if things work work out then great. All he needs is 1 full season with the 1st team to show what he's got.

Halilovic had low IQ.
Samper is a smart player.
But, on the other hand, he lacks bravery. He seems as the most frightened footballer ever. Not only for Barca's level, but for any 1st division level.

You need a bit of everything to make it:
1. skills
2. IQ
3. some bravery
4. being a good professional etc

If you are average in all areas, you still have higher chances than someone who is extremely poor in one area (Halil and Adama in IQ, Samper in bravery etc).

This is not only about highlights video.
I have personally asked a lot of times when he played for Barca A team: why does he have to play 10 longpasses in every single match?
Imo, it was extremely frustrating and totally against our usual flow and style of play.

A guy maybe learned from Xavi and Busi, but he turned into a strange type of a player, to some extent: totally unfit for Barca's Cdm and Cm style.
I am not even mentioning quality here. Let's imagine that he has an insane level of quality (which he hasn't), he just seems like a really strange fit for our team with his set of skills and with his style of play.

Btw, I have nothing against La Masia players and I would also like to see some youngsters as future stars.
But he won't be THAT guy.

Home of Barca Fans