Samuel Umtiti

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think Laporta said they might set aside some of the Goldman Sachs money to rescind some contracts. Just to get those contracts off the books ASAP and sign it off as a loss even if it adds up a bit.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I do wonder though, legally will terminating contracts by us unilaterally create any problems for us? Or is it part of the contract itself that we just need to pay a penalty/fee for doing so?

khaled_a_d

Correct me if I am wrong
We pay the player his salary, but if he signs elsewhere, we deduct his new salary
Seems reasonable

Prodi

I do wonder though, legally will terminating contracts by us unilaterally create any problems for us? Or is it part of the contract itself that we just need to pay a penalty/fee for doing so?

Very good question that I'm wondering myself too

Maybe, a judge will determine it if they (Matheus, Umtiti) take us to trial. Its whats happening with Setien, Bartomeu fired him and we haven't paid him yet. Setien has taken us to trial. These trials can take years so it's a way of buying time and and lower the wage bill this season.
We need to reduce the wage bill for next year in 200M, Umtiti costs us around 20M. And no, if we terminate his contract or pay him the remaining years it will not count in next years wage bill. It'll go to financial loses.

In the worst case, in the end we will have to pay his salarie in one or two years when there is a sentence.

No team does these things because they do not have a debt of 1200M and they do not have to fire players to lower the wage bill. This situation creates a bad reputation but it is the current state of the club.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
So basically just take him off the wage bill for the sake of the La Liga cap on the wage bill, but we are still paying his wages. The players enjoy a nice long vacation while getting paid (not that they want it, considering their career is at stake). Sigh.

Prodi

So basically just take him off the wage bill for the sake of the La Liga cap on the wage bill, but we are still paying his wages. The players enjoy a nice long vacation while getting paid (not that they want it, considering their career is at stake). Sigh.

We dont know yet. A judge will decide if we have to pay him all his wages for being an unfair dismissal, or maybe we are lucky and we only have to pay him part (Umtiti refused to have surgery) or we also have to pay him all his wages and a fine. The player can go to any other team. He is a free agent.

The most normal thing is that we will surely have to pay everything when there is a sentence. But the objective is to lower the wage bill for next season, if not, we cannot enroll Messi and the signings in the LFP.

What is clear is that if Messi renews it is because the board has decided to lower those 200M in any way. And lowering the wage bill by 200M means it is almost impossible not to have benefits in next years budget. So we are on the right track despite the reputation we will have in the short term.

Another problem its the 124M endorsements from Laporta. All these expenses go to Laporta's mandate. If at the end of his term he has more losses than benefits, he and his board lose the 124M. So don't expect any irrational spending or expensive players in all these years. For example Umtiti will be more than 40M in loses (2 year contract)

Laporta is gambling his own money.

Last edited:

Devils

At the end of the day you can't blame him lol.

Imagine being paid $1000 per hour at a job you have a contract for 4 years with and then halfway through the contract your employer says you are not needed anymore, even though you are still legally binded through contract, and the highest paying job you can find is $500 per hour elsewhere.

Nobody here would even consider it lmao.

I wouldn't move either if I were him. This is all on the club.

iniestaGOAT

Do you have a better plan?

iniestaGOAT

At the end of the day you can't blame him lol.

Imagine being paid $1000 per hour at a job you have a contract for 4 years with and then halfway through the contract your employer says you are not needed anymore, even though you are still legally binded through contract, and the highest paying job you can find is $500 per hour elsewhere.

Nobody here would even consider it lmao.

I wouldn't move either if I were him. This is all on the club.

Yeah but they would consider it if someone else is paying $500 and your current employer is willing to add $200 to it and you have a chance to revive your career in a bum league which might get you paid $700 for another 5 years.

mc_lovin

Yeah but they would consider it if someone else is paying $500 and your current employer is willing to add $200 to it and you have a chance to revive your career in a bum league which might get you paid $700 for another 5 years.

He knows there is no reviving his career. He's not stupid. $1000 it is (to keep the example going).

Home of Barca Fans