Ryan Gravenberch

topt

So Sabitzer is not good enough now, then why get him if he wont improve your team. Oh yeah its Bayern, the plan was not to improve your squad but to weaken the opposition.

not again this crap; you think they knew he would perform at such a poor level; we all thought he would be a very good signing

Messi983

Is Ryan really a DM?

He was early in his career, now is having a more offensive role.

He's clearly more of a DM than Sabitzer though who started career as a RW or SS, had 20+ goals and assists in a season for Salzburg in 2014/15 before Leipzig bought him (they were in 2. Bundesliga at that time). He really only started to play as a CM a year or two ago. Personally I see Sabitzer as a more talented version of Roberto. Not as much to compare them as players but in terms of his abilities to play multiple positions probably preventing him to fully establish himself at one position and develop as far as he could there.

He's still a very good player who I was in favor of signing for cheap two years ago when looking at the list of players with expring contracts. Now things have clearly changed drastically for us and I don't see a clear position for Sabitzer in current team but could still be a useful squad player imo. Not that we will get him anyway as I don't expect Bayern/Nagelsmann will give up on him soon.

OTOH Gravenberch will only turn 20 in a few months and whichever club he'll go to will need to find the right position for him (or he'll be a bit like Frenkie here - a very good player but people will always question what is his best position and how he'd do if he'd play there regularly) but I think for a hard working team like Bayern he could do well as a DM.

In another team where he'd be asked to cover for 4-5 players not so much (but then again, not a lot of players can do that). For example, I think he would struggle in an old Barca with Suarez, Messi, Raki, Busi,... (if we forget a fact he was like 16 at that time so nobody would actually expect him to be an important player in that team) but I think he would do better in this younger team. Not that I expect us to sign him. We don't really need him (or another DM) when we still have Busi doing so great tbh. :p

But if we consider we've had Yaya as a DM (and even CB) and then he went to City and played successfully as an AMC there. Or Masche who was an elite DM in Liverpool and we've turned him into a CB. So with our playing style it's not unusual to use players who would have a more offensive role in another team closer to our goal. As long as that fits players attributes I see nothing wrong. But of course we've also had failed experiments like Tito (RIP) thinking he can turn Alex Song into a CB. Or never finding the right positions for 100m signings like Griezmann and Coutinho. On paper they would probably both be the best utilised in a position/role that was occupied by Messi (Cou AMC, Griezmann SS) so no wonder really they didn't make it.

Porque

I've read Madrid are very interesred in Khephren Thuram to replace Casemiro. How does Gravenberch compare to him? And considering that Madrid- like us, play a 433, should we be eyeing Thuram?

khaled_a_d

He was early in his career, now is having a more offensive role.

OTOH Gravenberch will only turn 20 in a few months and whichever club he'll go to will need to find the right position for him (or he'll be a bit like Frenkie here - a very good player but people will always question what is his best position and how he'd do if he'd play there regularly) but I think for a hard working team like Bayern he could do well as a DM.

But if we consider we've had Yaya as a DM (and even CB) and then he went to City and played successfully as an AMC there. Or Masche who was an elite DM in Liverpool and we've turned him into a CB. So with our playing style it's not unusual to use players who would have a more offensive role in another team closer to our goal. As long as that fits players attributes I see nothing wrong..

I think Ryan is more of b2b type of midfielder whose best attributes is physical profile and age. I don't really see his game being advanced technically yet.
For me he is more developed Moriba tbh, don't see how he fits as sole DM here or elsewhere. But players at that age with such potential are difficult to gauge and he might explode in couple of years.
Just don't see it as pure DM.

Andresito

Staff member
Bayern Munich have tabled a bid for Ajax midfielder Ryan Gravenberch in the region of €15m plus add-ons. (Telegraaf)

Cheap. Contract until 2023.

Andresito

Staff member
Bayern Munich have reached an agreement over personal terms with Dutch midfielder Ryan Gravenberch (19) - Ajax want around €35m, Bayern's current offer is reportedly €25m including bonuses, according to Bild.

Temptation

I think Ryan is more of b2b type of midfielder whose best attributes is physical profile and age. I don't really see his game being advanced technically yet.
For me he is more developed Moriba tbh, don't see how he fits as sole DM here or elsewhere. But players at that age with such potential are difficult to gauge and he might explode in couple of years.
Just don't see it as pure DM.

Yo is he of a similar profile to Goretzka??

Andresito

Staff member
Old news, but he signed for Bayern for 19+6m. Cheap because he was on his last year of contract, but Bayern also sold Marc Roca for 12m. Great deal of business imo.

Home of Barca Fans