Rafinha Alcantara

CuleLife4Life

Rafinha and Bernard play different positions so it hard to compare them.

Bernard is actually very talented. He just had no business being at the WC this year and his career is derailing in Ukraine. They guy is benched by 3/4 other Brazilians at Shakthar.

I can see Rafinha getting callups for the Brazil squad only because Dunga's entire coaching staff played with Rafinha's father and the CBF is all about calling up players based on things not involving football.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I wasn't impressed with his game against Nice but the reasons behind it indicate that it's a complete non-issue.

First, our midfield hardly had proper transition to the forwards due to Roberto's anonymity. They were isolated and we looked disconnected in several zones. Long balls and quick counters are the only way that our attack was at all involved.

Second, and more specific to Rafinha, he is completely uncomfortable in that deep lying forward role. He is playing with his back towards the goal and his movement is restricted entirely. I remember the other time he played in that position for Barcelona was in the Copa Catalunya in 12/13, he had the exact same issue. It's against his nature to play with his back towards the goal. In midfield he'd be roaming everywhere: going back to get the ball, moving between the lines, and making attacking maneuvers/dribbles. I hope he gets some time in that position soon.

Trickykid

Thiago has two whole years on his baby brother, obviously he's the more finished article. With that said, Rafinha impresses me just as much as Thiago did at that age. Different players, though, but the beauty of it all is just how alike like they look with the ball at their feet.

...it just makes me that bit more sad, that we'll never see them both in Blaugrana again.

Home of Barca Fans