Rafael Márquez

Porque

Was expecting to read he wasn't being renewed.

Overall we done well, and we admittedly lacked overall quality. Was a bit too passive in the big games though.

Messi983

I'm fine with him staying. Need some consistency, can't change coaches every year. Give him (and Deco) a chance to rebuild the team and see what happens.

Not that there are many coaches who can replace him anyway. Club would probably give a job to another former player/rookie manager and he could turn out worse than Marquez. Masche was linked to us but he didn't really convince me as Argentina U20 coach, I know there are differences between international and club football though and he could be better at later working with players every day.

Rafa is also close to Xavi which is a good thing as they have to communicate/cooperate on a weekly if not daily basis.

khaled_a_d

Marquez done good job result wise, but tough to judge him in developing players.
It was such underwhelming team tbh, would say only Chadi has 1st team potential, and he improved as season goes. Casado and Pedrola done well under him. Rest of the team is Meh tbh

Messi983

Doing very good so far. 5 consecutive wins and currently sitting 2nd on the table one point behind Cultural Leonesa who we are playing away this Sunday. Also has to work with a small squad as Xavi regularly call up his players due to injuries in the first team and now he's missing several starters who are away in the U17 WC. Lot of injury problems as well.

Looks to me younger players who could potentially be first team players one day (Bernal, Cubarsi) are developing under him which is the most important aspect of his job imo.

Also think Deco did a good job rebuilding the team. Pau Victor is a scorer we didn't have last season. 7 goals in 11 games while last season our top scorers (Luismi, Barbera, Estanis) ended with 8 goals. Will probably need to get more support rest of the season from likes of Percan as can't only depend on him scoring. Maybe Guiu as well once he's back from Indonesia although could see Xavi keeping him in the first team dynamics as well if we can't bring Roque. So if possible wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe sign another versatile forward in January. Preferably a younger winger with first team potential. Or we could just give a chance to likes of Arnau Pradas, Nil Caldero or Dani Rodriguez.

Bringing back Moha for his experience was also a good move as was obviously signing Faye and Mbacke (although on a limited sample size so far looks like someone we should consider signing longterm - don't know what exact terms of loan agreement are though).

Vidal is not great but an improvement over Astralaga in goal. Trilli also played well but looks injury prone. He got injured again on Saturday. Gerard Martin is ok although I was more excited about Edu Sanchez but he has barely played due to injuries. Albert Navarro also looked very good in UYL but he's only 16 so doubt he'll get much minutes this season, should definitely be integrated into Barca Atletic next year though.

JamDav1982

Vidal is not an improvement over Astralaga who has been very good this season for B team and is one of many very highly rated young GKs at the club.

If both available then Astralaga would start.

Porque

Astralaga has a clanger a game in him but very clearly a high potential goalkeeper.

Not Barca first team potential probably, but we rode Arnau Tenas clangers out and he ended a very decent goalie, and we should do the same here really.

Other than that, spot on selections. Edu Sanchez was very poor in the few minutes I saw of him, error prone and well off the pace defensively. But will have plenty of time to turn it around.

And the young wide players coming through look quite productive, while everyone knows the talent and potential that Marquez has at his disposal in CB and midfield.

Trilli a very good player and Hector Fort overall game has come on immensely for the right back.

There's alot of talent here who will do well at Las Palmas in the coming years.

Raketa10

The fact that we just promoted Belletti to B assistant suggests that we may be positioning for exactly that.

Than we are more stupid than I could have ever imagined. We would be getting rid of Xavi whose main problem was the lack of experience and tactical knowledge and than we would be replacing him with the guy who has even less experience and even worste track record. Unbelievable things. No wonder this club is getting worse and worse since we never learn. If that happens than Laporta is the next one who should resign.

khaled_a_d

The fact that we just promoted Belletti to B assistant suggests that we may be positioning for exactly that.

Don't think so.
Marquez is close to Laporta, and supported him during the elections and the later rewarded him with B team coaching job, which he is doing wellin.
But after Xavi, with the pressure from media looming I doubt Laporta will go for it tbh, even if Deco is close to him.
I think a safer option will ve selected

Porque

I'd imagine it is just a short term in-house contingency at this stage.

Just in case Xavi steps down or results continue.

Was responding to @Raketa10 but just seen @khaled_a_d posted same time so will reply here.

As above, I think they would go for a longer term option and this is just settling matters in case an immediate change is needed.

Messi983

Yes, don't think Rafa should be anything else than a short-term solution if Xavi would be sacked mid-season but hopefully won't happen.

I prefer to keep Xavi until June and then re-evaluate situation. Mid-season coaching changes rarely work well. People wanted to sack EV and then we got that farmer to replace him, lol.

BA struggling lately might be a good news in that regard as well. I think Rafa could become a solid coach but nowhere near ready for our first team. Should go prove himself elsewhere and then maybe get a chance in few years.

But given our history of hiring coaches this century don't think the club sees is same way. Rijkaard, Pep, Tito, Tata, Lucho, Setien, Koeman, Xavi were all unproven or with not too convincing CV. Don Ernesto had by far the best career before joining us but don't think many people considered him anything more than an (above) average La Liga manager. Which is still levels above what we can say about Rafa so far.

Ofc sometimes you have to take a risk like we did with Pep and hope it will work out but don't think now it's the time for that. OTOH outside coaches also won't find Barca's job in current situation as attractive as they would in the past knowing their hands to build the team in their own image will be very tied.

khaled_a_d

His contract with B team ends this season.
Do you guys think we should renew him?
Would he be interested in staying? At 45 he might want to try his luck as first team coach somewhere else

Can't deny that I like his work with B team though, players progress nicely under him while keeping the team fairly competitive.

Messi983

I would keep him but think he'll probably try to build his career outside of Barca if won't get a first team job here. Which we shouldn't really consider. Should get experience on a higher level somewhere else and then potentially mabe return as first team coach in future. Probably didn't get on Laporta's good side with his comments in regards to replacing Xavi but that shouldn't effect his potential continuity with BA.

Maybe we're grooming him to replace Rafa in case he leaves or is promoted to the first team?

No idea how good of a coach Belletti is though.

Home of Barca Fans