Qatar FC

CatalinR10

❌ 2022: Round of 16
❌ 2023: Round of 16
✅ 2024: Quarter-Finalists

Crazy to think that PSG was knocked out in the UCL Round of 16 twice during Lionel Messi’s career in France 😳🇫🇷

They went out vs Bayern and RM ,who were the champions that year. Now they got matched against a much inferior team, of course they went through.

Also , crazy that they didn't win the league title the year before Messi came to them and they won it 2 out of 2 times with him there. I can also play this retarded game of yours.

They could have defeated Real Madrid if they converted the pen against them in round of 16.

Or if the referee would have whistled at the foul from Benzema on the keeper.

They should have been out in the groups but they got bailed big time by the referee.

Another day , another dig at the GOAT by you.

He forever lives rent free in your head and injects pain on a daily basis.

Big ooffff.

Morten

It's the same every year with these guys, they crush some teams in France, and suddenly people think they have improved.

And then, when they finally meet actual opposition they fold, and people realize results in Ligue 1 means nothing.

soul24rage

Their squad building in the midfield area has been terrible in recent years.

Questionable in the defensive side as well (except for Hakimi and Nunes)

Horatio

You're welcome
They can only attack from counter. Have trouble when have less space. Also lack in buildup.

Why didnt hakimi play btw? He could cause a bit of trouble

Birdy

Their squad building in the midfield area has been terrible in recent years.

Questionable in the defensive side as well (except for Hakimi and Nunes)

They have gaps there for sure.
But huge questionmarks on why Enrique played Ruiz, and not Ugarte (pure DM) or Emery (a much better 8 than Ruiz)

I think Lucho is our undercover agent

khaled_a_d

They have gaps there for sure.
But huge questionmarks on why Enrique played Ruiz, and not Ugarte (pure DM) or Emery (a much better 8 than Ruiz)

I think Lucho is our undercover agent

Ugarte is shit in build up, he is a player any good opposition will target in midfield. In a midfield like that he will be a disaster.
Emery is talented, but god there downfall started when he was subbed in for Lee, that Sub was Lucho biggest mistake.
Their SD (Campos iirc) has done terrible job tbh.
With that said, they are couple of attainable players aways from turning into a very well built squad.

Birdy

Ugarte is shit in build up, he is a player any good opposition will target in midfield. In a midfield like that he will be a disaster.
Emery is talented, but god there downfall started when he was subbed in for Lee, that Sub was Lucho biggest mistake.
Their SD (Campos iirc) has done terrible job tbh.
With that said, they are couple of attainable players aways from turning into a very well built squad.

Don't agree at all with that
Ugarte sure is not any baller, but he plays his role very well as a destroyer, he could have stopped many of our attacks and starter counters for Dembele and Mbape
Emery is like 100 times better than Ruiz, and its not even close
Was not talking about Lee, who is also class.
Enrique could have played Ugarte DM, Vitina-Emery CMs, and Lee instead of ghost Asensio

Campos job has been very solid so far. Asensio is the only bad decision he made IMO

khaled_a_d

Don't agree at all with that
Ugarte sure is not any baller, but he plays his role very well as a destroyer, he could have stopped many of our attacks and starter counters for Dembele and Mbape
Emery is like 100 times better than Ruiz, and its not even close
Was not talking about Lee, who is also class.
Enrique could have played Ugarte DM, Vitina-Emery CMs, and Lee instead of ghost Asensio

Campos job has been very solid so far. Asensio is the only bad decision he made IMO

Renato and Ramos were Campos work, same for Ruiz & Muani who are all underwhelming, Beraldo might turn things around but he is mediocre so far.

Ugarte has a role indeed, but he doesn't have it in this midfield. A pure destroyer can't start unless almost everyone around him knows what to do under pressure. Christensen for example is starting thanks to the presence of Cubarsi, Cancelo, and great interiors who can carry the ball, this makes the team able to afford having him starting against top teams. PSG doesn't have a Gundogan, Pedri, Frenkie to help him. Vitinha, Emery et al aren't that. This makes Ugarte a misfit in such games. A prime Verratti would have done wonders with current Ugarte and they would gave helped each other. Even against some mediocre French teams it was apparent that Ugarte doesn't fit with the ball, and he is a player I wanted at Barca.

Emery might have been better than Ruiz, whom I think is an average player at best, but honestly I think Emery wasn't good against us, gulf in quality between himand Pedri for example was clear.
Honestly, it was generally a tough game for teenagers, Cubarsi, Yamal, Emery & Beraldo all showed their age today, understandable though.

Starting Asensio was a mistake though, I agree.

Birdy

Renato and Ramos were Campos work, same for Ruiz & Muani who are all underwhelming, Beraldo might turn things around but he is mediocre so far.

Ugarte has a role indeed, but he doesn't have it in this midfield. A pure destroyer can't start unless almost everyone around him knows what to do under pressure. Christensen for example is starting thanks to the presence of Cubarsi, Cancelo, and great interiors who can carry the ball, this makes the team able to afford having him starting against top teams. PSG doesn't have a Gundogan, Pedri, Frenkie to help him. Vitinha, Emery et al aren't that. This makes Ugarte a misfit in such games. A prime Verratti would have done wonders with current Ugarte and they would gave helped each other. Even against some mediocre French teams it was apparent that Ugarte doesn't fit with the ball, and he is a player I wanted at Barca.

Emery might have been better than Ruiz, whom I think is an average player at best, but honestly I think Emery wasn't good against us, gulf in quality between himand Pedri for example was clear.
Honestly, it was generally a tough game for teenagers, Cubarsi, Yamal, Emery & Beraldo all showed their age today, understandable though.

Starting Asensio was a mistake though, I agree.

- Too early to say anything on Muani and Ramos man. They are both great prospects and I think will turn out great under the right coach
- Renato was more a failure due to injuries not talent. Ruiz does not have Emery's ceiling, but is far better than fanbase gives him credit for
- for Ugarte you are wrong. He can very well play a 6 role like Tchouameni. Klopp wanted him last summer, and you know when Klopp/Pool want someone he is always quality.
- Vitinha is also a smart buy, who I didn't know before, Barardo you said it yoursefl. And they bought also that other great South American talent, Moncada. Lee is also an oustanding talent and transfer
- Emery might have been bad today, but he is still a kid and having an outstanding season. The PSG equivalent of Cubarsi or Lamine

Yes, they miss Verrati, and still have gaps there, but you can't seriously compare Campos' work outlined above even with one or two mistakes (like buying Asensio), with the work of Leonardo for instace,
who was all about getting names/superstars with no plan, no strategic vision, no projection to the future

khaled_a_d

Leonardo was amazing SD in his first stint, then they brought him back to build a super star team. He is like Zubizarreta, will do great with freedom but you can't set him a policy that doesn't fit him then ask him to succeed. This was PSG management taking another approach.

-Muani & Ramos are 25 and 22, not prospects and cost 160M. This is the type of signing that judged from day one. Renato is a bad buy anyway, they knew his injury history before.

-Klopp wanting Ugarte is mute point, I didn't argue about him being a good player, I am arguing about him being a good player in a certain set up. Liverpool buys a player that fit a certain need and fit the entire unit, that is why it is success. Ugarte doesn't fit current PSG. It is simple as that. In Liverpool he will play a Fabinho role that is tailored for him. In PSG he will not, also he is very different from Tchoumeni.

-You mean Moscardo? Talented but plenty of question marks. But Campos is a certified good scout so getting a good talent is expected, building a team is SD job though, not just getting a talent.

Back to the "Klopp & Liverpool " point you brought, this is actually my point, Campos didn't bring team building but brought scouting, which is very different tasks.
Getting good talent is one thing, getting pieces that fits each other is different, unlike Liverpool who are very careful in the fit area.
Liverpool for example aren't good scouts, because their data based model is weak in determining gems in smaller league (that is known weakness in data based scouting, not exclusive to Liverpool, it is almost impossible to work it in leagues like Austria or Brazil) but while risk averse they are 100% determined to get the whole puzzle right. PSG doesn't do that, and this is with Campos not having to worry about super star driven owners.

Edit: by scouting I mean discovering hidden gems for cheap, Liverpool work obviously requires scouting too, just different type.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans