Premier League 2020/2021

Who will win the Premier League?

• Total voters

Birdy

The offside rule hasn't changed. If the attacker is closer to the goalline than the defender, it's offside. It's a good rule.
All that changed was that 5 years ago refs were barely able to see it in real time.

That's the thing. I don't think your last sentence is true at all.
5 years ago, if you saw that still-image to any ref, they would all say it's offside without any consideration where Firmino's boot is.
The directive has seriously tainted the offside rule

Yannik

That's the thing. I don't think your last sentence is true at all.
5 years ago, if you saw that still-image to any ref, they would all say it's offside without any consideration where Firmino's boot is.
The directive has seriously tainted the offside rule

But no, they wouldn't. If you actually gave them an image that proofs Firminos foot plays him onside, then they would logically say "it's onside, those are the rules."
But they just didn't have a still image that really shows it.

They would have to decide it in real time. And in real time they would hardly be able to spot Firminos foot in the midst of all the Leicester players that lean forward, because that's near impossible to see.

Last edited:

Birdy

But no, they wouldn't. If you actually gave them an image that proofs Firminos foot plays him onside, then they would logically say "it's onside, those are the rules."
But they just didn't have a still image that really shows it.

They would have to decide it in real time. And in real time they would hardly be able to spot Firminos foot in the midst of all the Leicester players that lean forward, because that's near impossible to see.

I don't think so.
In the pre-VAR era, even being provided with the still image, would not make them call it onside.
Because the whole idea of tiptoes, feet, elbows - or whatever part of the body can poke out of the outline of the torso - would not be enough to constitute a significant factor.
Why? Because what is important is the body as a whole, and not any individual part of it as a part.
That's the classical conception behind the offside rule, and that's how a player being 'ahead', 'behind', 'covered' was always determined.

That's what is totally tainted by the new directives for VAR

Yannik

I don't think so.
In the pre-VAR era, even being provided with the still image, would not make them call it onside.
Because the whole idea of tiptoes, feet, elbows - or whatever part of the body can poke out of the outline of the torso - would not be enough to constitute a significant factor.
Why? Because what is important is the body as a whole, and not any individual part of it as a part.
That's the classical conception behind the offside rule, and that's how a player being 'ahead', 'behind', 'covered' was always determined.

That's what is totally tainted by the new directives for VAR

No that's really not correct.

offside-rule.png

Home of Barca Fans