Pep Guardiola

Birdy

@Birdy

Changed your opinion on Haaland? I recall you said before that he would break Peps tactical system. Seems he knew what to do all along.

Yes, I am waiting for the Madrid games to officially admit that.

It's not that Haaland is different from what I wrote (although he indeed improved his link up play)
It's that Pep is such a genius that invented a new game to maximize his strenghts without sacrificising the other traits of his team.
He is now conceding possession and baiting pressing teams so that he hits them on the break or behind their back with Haaland and KdB

The man has completed football

serghei

Current version of Pep is probably at his peak maturity as a manager. If we had this version back in diamond Barca era, 4 out of 4 CLs imo. No joke. He's at his most pragmatic and at his self best in managing different personalities.

Insane manager, but if he doesn't come back, he's an asshole. Can't ever forgive him personally for this. If he stayed at Barca we could have been set for decades. The power he had... he could have been our Alex Ferguson only covered in glory five times over.

jamrock

Current version of Pep is probably at his peak maturity as a manager. If we had this version back in diamond Barca era, 4 out of 4 CLs imo. No joke. He's at his most pragmatic and at his self best in managing different personalities.

Insane manager, but if he doesn't come back, he's an asshole. Can't ever forgive him personally for this. If he stayed at Barca we could have been set for decades. The power he had... he could have been our Alex Ferguson only covered in glory five times over.

We should have been set for decades regardless, he and laporta gave those who came after them the baton, with a 200m head start and they still managed to fuck it up.

serghei

We should have been set for decades regardless, he and laporta gave those who came after them the baton, with a 200m head start and they still managed to fuck it up.

Nah... Pep Barca was the name of the team. He was the biggest, our most prized asset. Without him... not so much.

A Scorsese movie is a Scorsese movie not because of De Niro, but because of the signature of the director. Without Scorsese... it's a cheap copy, no matter the cast.

Guardiola was easily the most important asset of the 2009-11 team. Without a single doubt.

jamrock

It's not fair to answer that question until Pep retires from management. But if he can match Ancelotti's 4 Champions League wins he'll probably have the best claim. Difficult to compare managers though as some may have a larger trophy haul achieved at huge clubs whilst others like Clough didn't win as much but won back to back European cups at a small club like Nottingham Forest.
Fair point about clough and the likes.

Re carlo he doesn't have to match his 4 CL, he's clearly a different level of manager to Carlo, who is a great manager to be clear.

The man can't win a league title even if he starts with a 10 points advantage. Lol

vegitot

Insane manager, but if he doesn't come back, he's an asshole. Can't ever forgive him personally for this. If he stayed at Barca we could have been set for decades.
Hear that quite many times like when City dominated EPL in 17/18, 18/19 or 20/21.

He is better coach now than he was from 08-12 no doubt. But Pep's City won't reach Pep's Barca level.

jamrock

Hear that quite many times like when City dominated EPL in 17/18, 18/19 or 20/21.

He is better coach now than he was from 08-12 no doubt. But Pep's City won't reach Pep's Barca level.

That's primarily due to individual talent TBH.

The only players that will go down as all times during all his time at city, is haaland and DB.

Like of Kun are a step below.

While be Barcelona the list is too long to even bother writing.

serghei

To be honest, the only caveat is Pep's Barca side would never make Pep take a pragmatic approach. The team was too gifted in possession, too good and stacked with legends frankly. To think about defending and playing on the counter... hard to think of doing that when you have Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, even if at times it's the best strategy.

vegitot

That's primarily due to individual talent TBH.

The only players that will go down as all times during all his time at city, is haaland and DB.

Like of Kun are a step below.

While be Barcelona the list is too long to even bother writing.
City will never can do this

serghei

I think current Pep would handle Eto'o differently though, he's smarter and less naive than what he was as a rookie manager.

Eto'o is a simple personality to manage if you're smart enough to stroke his huge ego. He's not a bad man, just a man-child in many ways.

If anything, Pep has learned the value and huge importance of a clutch, mentality monster, no9.

vegitot

To be honest, the only caveat is Pep's Barca side would never make Pep take a pragmatic approach. The team was too gifted in possession, too good and stacked with legends frankly. To think about defending and playing on the counter... hard to think of doing that when you have Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, even if at times it's the best strategy.
Barca had the best defense record in the league during Pep time here. Of course Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busi helped a lot with their god like possession football.

serghei

Barca had the best defense record in the league during Pep time here. Of course Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busi helped a lot with their god like possession football.

Yeah, not that hard to put up good defensive numbers when teams park the bus against you all the time.

I think the team conceded more goals than normal during those circumstances if anything. Our defense was not that great, especially Valdes imo.

jamrock

City will never can do this

Yea because like I said individual players.

Messi
Busquets
Xavi
Iniesta
Alves.

Could Make argument for Messi being the boat ( obviously).

And all the others being the best in there position ever.

And that includes busquets, though he gets shitting on at every opportunity now lol.

Throw the likes of pique, puyol, abidal, mascherano.

Jesus Christ I wanna cry just thinking about it.

serghei

In a way, that team also brought my worst nights as a fan. Never since 2012 I have lost a sleep because of Barca. Goes to show that we need to take it lightly in terms of anger these days. When you're not elite, it's not hard to be forgiving. When you're the best and you fail is when it stings the most.

Home of Barca Fans