Paulinho

Barcilliant

Paulinho is what Gomes was supposed to be. A strong box to box midfielder who would provide physicality and a goal threat. Something different to the prototypical Barca midfielder.

Kind of surprised we didn't go for someone like Tolisso. He cost Bayern 40 million too. Paulinho is very similar to Lampard. Technically average but high work rate and goal threat. It's funny how people want a Xavi, Iniesta type midfielder. Have people forgot the Bayern thrashing where their midfield just outmuscled us?!

Hamzah

High Definition Member
"Too risky to play in bigger games" yet he played well against juventus and madrid, last years champions league finalists.

I'm sure alenya would do a better job as he fits the "profile" though...

RMU ReBorn

26230407_1959985357599738_4135773059130828894_n.jpg

God Serena

I dont think either Busquets or Iniesta have scored 8 goals in la liga in half a season.
Busquets is actually pretty weak on the ball when the ball is divided.
I'm not saying Paulinho is better, but he is different, and he's giving us the muscle we desperate needed for so long in that midfield.

I didn't know scoring goals=strength on the ball. Messi must be the strongest in history despite being so short. Neymar too, what unimaginable strength.
Busquets being weak on the ball is some nonsense you'd expect to hear from EPL fanboys who think his only skill is diving. Busquets holds the ball better than anyone in our team and just because he doesn't do it by pushing and shoving the way Paulinho does doesn't mean he doesn't know how.
Paulinho doesn't bring muscle to the midfield at all. He does fuck all for our midfield and is a total non-factor in build up and in defense. All he's good for is poaching goals, and yeah, he can hold defenders off really well to do it. The problem is, as a midfielder he's not scoring enough for us to be able to rely on that. 8 goals for a midfielder as fantastic. 8 goals for a player who's single quality is scoring goals is not.

"Too risky to play in bigger games" yet he played well against juventus and madrid, last years champions league finalists.

I'm sure alenya would do a better job as he fits the "profile" though...

Madrid since the start of December have only won a single game in La Liga and from the looks of things they limped their way to the CWC trophy, which is easier to get than a hooker in Taiwan. They're one point away from losing their CL spot to Villareal and at the rate they're going that's probably going to happen. CL winners or not Ronaldo, Benzema, Marcelo and Ramos are all putting in 1/10 performances every week and when they were doing it against us Paulinho had nothing to do with it. For the first time in La Liga's history they've made it to the halfway mark of the season without a single player breaking 4 goals. Madrid is a big game on paper but in actual practice they gave us one of our easiest wins of the season. That drops Paulinho down to a single "big game" to boast about and I can point to several players we've had flop here who've had a top quality game against a top side, while taking a wary glance over my shoulder at Marc Bartra.

Good job trying to use a teenager as a strawman but I can guarantee you that in 2-3 years Alena will be far better than Paulinho ever was and ever will be. Because that "Profile" you seem to be mocking is able to pass, dribble, contribute in build up play , retain ball possession and defend. Considering Paulinho is such a good goal scorer he should probably consider moving up to forward, since we'll soon have Coutinho starting and Alena will inevitably be coming up from the B team this summer at the latest. Too bad he can't dribble, beat his man, or make anything more complicated than a 5 yard pass. And all that at 29 years old, which means he'll probably be getting even worse at these things soon as decline starts to affect him. Maybe if Paulinho was a consistent goal threat and someone we consistently rely on to score goals for us he'd have a case but, oh, wait, that's exactly what Coutinho is supposed to be, isn't it? And HE can also pass and dribble. Uh-oh...

God Serena

Sorry, this is the only place where Paulinho isn't getting absolute plaudits. Only place..

I think the undertone here is starting to get a bit racist. Neymar suffered the same in this forum, Alves too.

If Paulinho was pale and blonde and called Paulinović, and had the same performances, he'd be called a maestro, key player, etc

You're completely right. Denis, Gomes, Pique, Rakitic, Vidal and Arda are all players hated mainly because they're black. I bet this entire forum would be shitting all over Umtiti, Semedo and Dembele if they were black, too.

What kind of fucking bubble do you people live in?

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I didn't know scoring goals=strength on the ball. Messi must be the strongest in history despite being so short. Neymar too, what unimaginable strength.
Busquets being weak on the ball is some nonsense you'd expect to hear from EPL fanboys who think his only skill is diving. Busquets holds the ball better than anyone in our team and just because he doesn't do it by pushing and shoving the way Paulinho does doesn't mean he doesn't know how.
Paulinho doesn't bring muscle to the midfield at all. He does fuck all for our midfield and is a total non-factor in build up and in defense. All he's good for is poaching goals, and yeah, he can hold defenders off really well to do it. The problem is, as a midfielder he's not scoring enough for us to be able to rely on that. 8 goals for a midfielder as fantastic. 8 goals for a player who's single quality is scoring goals is not.

Madrid since the start of December have only won a single game in La Liga and from the looks of things they limped their way to the CWC trophy, which is easier to get than a hooker in Taiwan. They're one point away from losing their CL spot to Villareal and at the rate they're going that's probably going to happen. CL winners or not Ronaldo, Benzema, Marcelo and Ramos are all putting in 1/10 performances every week and when they were doing it against us Paulinho had nothing to do with it. For the first time in La Liga's history they've made it to the halfway mark of the season without a single player breaking 4 goals. Madrid is a big game on paper but in actual practice they gave us one of our easiest wins of the season. That drops Paulinho down to a single "big game" to boast about and I can point to several players we've had flop here who've had a top quality game against a top side, while taking a wary glance over my shoulder at Marc Bartra.

Good job trying to use a teenager as a strawman but I can guarantee you that in 2-3 years Alena will be far better than Paulinho ever was and ever will be. Because that "Profile" you seem to be mocking is able to pass, dribble, contribute in build up play , retain ball possession and defend. Considering Paulinho is such a good goal scorer he should probably consider moving up to forward, since we'll soon have Coutinho starting and Alena will inevitably be coming up from the B team this summer at the latest. Too bad he can't dribble, beat his man, or make anything more complicated than a 5 yard pass. And all that at 29 years old, which means he'll probably be getting even worse at these things soon as decline starts to affect him. Maybe if Paulinho was a consistent goal threat and someone we consistently rely on to score goals for us he'd have a case but, oh, wait, that's exactly what Coutinho is supposed to be, isn't it? And HE can also pass and dribble. Uh-oh...

First of all the Madrid game was not easy, they pressured barca well in the first half and created two chances. You've also left out his performances against juventus where he wasn't the out of place awful player some make him out to be.

Also I haven't said that Paulinho should be a lock for starter, especially now coutinho is here, coutinho is obviously a superior player. I'm just saying I feel comfortable with Paulinho starting in a big game.

Kohe321

With his instinct for goal, I imagine he would like a time machine to go back to the start of his career and work on becoming a pure striker instead of a midfielder. Seems like that's where his biggest talents lie.

God Serena

First of all the Madrid game was not easy, they pressured barca well in the first half and created two chances. You've also left out his performances against juventus where he wasn't the out of place awful player some make him out to be.

They're still dogshit beyond our worst nightmares in full meltdown mode and there was never a snowball's chance in hell of us losing to them. We scored more goals than they created chances. And I very specifically mentioned Juventus. One good game against a top team doesn't mean you can be consistently relied upon in big games.

Also I haven't said that Paulinho should be a lock for starter, especially now coutinho is here, coutinho is obviously a superior player. I'm just saying I feel comfortable with Paulinho starting in a big game.

He brings next to nothing to our midfield and his only contribution is scoring poacher's goals. If he doesn't have that he has nothing and nobody ever even tries to dispute me on that. That's not what we need from a big game player. There's no way he'd put in a quality performance against the real heavy hitters of the CL, which Juve hardly counts as anyways.

CatalinR10

They're still dogshit beyond our worst nightmares in full meltdown mode and there was never a snowball's chance in hell of us losing to them. We scored more goals than they created chances. And I very specifically mentioned Juventus. One good game against a top team doesn't mean you can be consistently relied upon in big games.

He brings next to nothing to our midfield and his only contribution is scoring poacher's goals. If he doesn't have that he has nothing and nobody ever even tries to dispute me on that. That's not what we need from a big game player. There's no way he'd put in a quality performance against the real heavy hitters of the CL, which Juve hardly counts as anyways.

stop being a hater

Hamzah

High Definition Member

His defensive contributions are underrated, also is like to know who you prefer to start ahead of him in the current tactical setup?

jamrock

Good post

Hamzah

High Definition Member
in ma liga at least did replace Paulinho with coutinho, and bring on paulinho on later as he can be a super sub both offensively because of his goals and because of his pressing ability.

So to start the game

-----busquets
Rakitic-----Iniesta
--------coutinho

To end the game

-----busquets
Rakitic----coutinho
------paulinho

Obviously this won't be possible in champions league

Jakabor

Someone we dont have yet. Our midfield is weak.

Cool. That's doesn't really solve anything as it pertains to the current situation.

Everyone knows we need a Frenkie de Jong, Arthur or the likes type of player. That won't happen right now.

Home of Barca Fans