Pablo Torre (loaned to Girona)

Porque

I'm not sure what were arguing.

I'll just ask instead. From what you have seen, Do you think he is better outwide or central?

ajnotkeith

Game time yes. But not impact. A bit like Gavi there

Tbh that game wasn't that impressive. Can't say I know much about him but he looked a bit pedestrian and slow there.

Set piece taking looks to be good, he hits the ball nicely. Let's see what he shows at Barca B.

Porque

Tbh that game wasn't that impressive. Can't say I know much about him but he looked a bit pedestrian and slow there.

Set piece taking looks to be good, he hits the ball nicely. Let's see what he shows at Barca B.

Agreed.

Struggled to get past his marker too outwide. Better at reading the space centrally.

Just to note. "Like Gavi there", I meant like when Gavi plays wide compared to centrally. Not that he plays like him.

JamDav1982

Agreed.

Struggled to get past his marker too outwide. Better at reading the space centrally.

Just to note. "Like Gavi there", I meant like when Gavi plays wide compared to centrally.

Many ways to play out wide.

Doesnt look anything like Gavi to me.

You think he will make impact centrally at Barca?

Porque

Many ways to play out wide.

Doesnt look anything like Gavi to me.

You think he will make impact centrally at Barca?

I haven't seen any full games. Only highlights and the last 20 minutes of Spain U19 last game.

From what I have seen, he will be better in midfield than on our wing. But there will be the question of how he adapts there as he is in a 4231 at Racing, like Pedri was at Las Palmas. And Pedri at Las Palmas wasn't the type of player he is now with us, and adapted masterfully.

Never said he was anything like Gavi. Just the referance that Gavi is less impactful wide than centrally. And yes, Gavi played both wide and in midfield prior to the first team.

JamDav1982

I haven't seen any full games. Only highlights and the last 20 minutes of Spain U19 last game.

From what I have seen, he will be better in midfield than on our wing. But there will be the question of how he adapts there as he is in a 4231 at Racing, like Pedri was at Las Palmas. And Pedri at Las Palmas wasn't the type of player he is now with us, and adapted masterfully.

Never said he was anything like Gavi. Just the referance that Gavi is less impactful wide than centrally. And yes, Gavi played both wide and in midfield prior to the first team.

Lets see but I think he will get more chances out wide and that is where Barca will see him as potential first team squad player if works out as looks more like a last third type that looks to make things happen and with other mids Barca have would be difficult.

Gavi has always been a mid in youth set up.

Messi983

Could be wrong but if Pablo is to make a first team breakthrough next season I think perfect position for him would be as a wide LM/RM in a 3-4-3 as a backup/rotation to both Pedri and Gavi.

Something like

MATS
Araujo-Christensen-Garcia
Pedri-FDJ-Busi-Gavi (Pablo?-Kessie-Nico-Puig?)
RW?--Ansu--Ferran

Don't think we'd have enough depth and quality in defense to play that formation regularly (unless we sign another defender alongside Christensen, preferably someone who can play as a LCB) but think Xavi could at least try it out sometimes. We'd have more than enough depth in midfield and should also have options in attack if Ansu stays fit and whoever will play at RW (Dembouz/Adama staying, possibly Raphinha). And of course if we get a striker and a RW would have even more options.

Not advocating we should change the system just to fit Pablo in the team obviously but if he'll convince Xavi in preseason I think he'll find a way to give him minutes. I think Xavi also likes tactical flexibility (and has used 3-4-3 in Qatar regularly) and we'll see more of that next season once he'll have more time to work on with the team during preseason and also to incorporate new pieces/players into the puzzle. Torre could be one of them.

Just hope they'll be smarter with him than Demir last season and register him for Barca B so he can go down there in case (very likely) he won't get much first team minutes. He can still be involved in the first team training process and get a chance here and there in a very congested schedule before and especially after World Cup when some players might get back tired/injured but he must play regularly to develop.

TheStig

Change of formation could happen also because of our problems at both fullback positions. Dest is ok but not amazing and he is quite often injured, Alves is ok for some home games against scrubs and we don't have another backup as it looks that Mazraoui and Azpi won't happen. On the other side there is Alba without a backup. The signings of Kessie, Christensen and Torre could be more logical if we would play 3-4-3.

Andresito

Staff member
Could be wrong but if Pablo is to make a first team breakthrough next season I think perfect position for him would be as a wide LM/RM in a 3-4-3 as a backup/rotation to both Pedri and Gavi.

Something like

MATS
Araujo-Christensen-Garcia
Pedri-FDJ-Busi-Gavi (Pablo?-Kessie-Nico-Puig?)
RW?--Ansu--Ferran

Don't think we'd have enough depth and quality in defense to play that formation regularly (unless we sign another defender alongside Christensen, preferably someone who can play as a LCB) but think Xavi could at least try it out sometimes. We'd have more than enough depth in midfield and should also have options in attack if Ansu stays fit and whoever will play at RW (Dembouz/Adama staying, possibly Raphinha). And of course if we get a striker and a RW would have even more options.

Not advocating we should change the system just to fit Pablo in the team obviously but if he'll convince Xavi in preseason I think he'll find a way to give him minutes. I think Xavi also likes tactical flexibility (and has used 3-4-3 in Qatar regularly) and we'll see more of that next season once he'll have more time to work on with the team during preseason and also to incorporate new pieces/players into the puzzle. Torre could be one of them.

Just hope they'll be smarter with him than Demir last season and register him for Barca B so he can go down there in case (very likely) he won't get much first team minutes. He can still be involved in the first team training process and get a chance here and there in a very congested schedule before and especially after World Cup when some players might get back tired/injured but he must play regularly to develop.

With all due respect, that formation is horrible. Pedri and Gavi as wide midfielders? Who's supposed to provide width? Would much rather play Alba or Dest, or even Alves.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It is impossible to play with three at the back and succeed without proper wing-backs, and even then it's a tough system to work out.

Pep tried that in 2012 and that probably cost us the La Liga title that season. 4-3-3 is the way to go.

mc_lovin

Overcomplicating things usually leads to failure. Same as not committing to an idea. If you want 3atb the whole squad needs to be build for it.

I would hate for us to go that route when you see how clean and pleasant our 433 looks under Xavi.

JamDav1982

They wont be changing to 343 but Xavis current system is fluid and is not far from a 343, 433 or a 4321 depending on how set up.

The basis is 433 but sometimes will have FDJ supporting Busi as more of a two and Pedri up park in AM positions more. Sometimes the RB is narrower and between a RB/CB as Araujo was v Real or Alves at RB but in supporting Busi in midfield.

The way he has team set up is very flexible 433 that is similar to other formations at times.

That is why I want Dembele to stay and think they need pacey wide player that can play on outside at times and get ball in as it is options to how team play and how RB can play.

Messi983

With all due respect, that formation is horrible. Pedri and Gavi as wide midfielders? Who's supposed to provide width? Would much rather play Alba or Dest, or even Alves.

Maybe I didn't explain well. Pedri and Gavi would start as wide midfielders with freedom to move central. Ferran/Fati and whoever would play as RW would provide width.

But yeah, maybe saying wide midfielder was misleading for the role Gavi and Pedri would have. Xavi used a word inside midfielders. So instead of 3-4-3 maybe we could say 3-2-2-3 or something. Doesnt' really matter as players (concentrating on midfielders) would be the same I've mentioned.

Look at this video from the maestro himself to understand better what I've meant (starting at 1:17)

"I've set up in a 3-4-3 system. 3 defenders, 2 DMs, 2 inside midfielders, a number 9 and two wide attackers"

He also mentioned opponent played a 4-4-2 so it's clear he could use similar system against likes of Valencia or Athletic in La Liga.

JamDav1982

Wouldnt put too much emphasis on that video as it seems Xavi is still evolving his ideas.

Pretty much took to the Atletico game for him to amend tactics to the players he had and put Alba wider, FDJ box to box to help Busi, RB sits in deep etc.

Prior to that he had likes of FDJ as AM in between lines, had Alba sitting deeper and more narrow at times, had two wide players taking width etc.

Also him accepting pacey players like Auba when he wanted Morata but it was said to be Cruyff that pushed for likes of Traore and Auba and the pace/power they could bring. He had specifically used Aubas name in past as type of player Barca dont need and Mane. I very much doubt he thinks that now.

A lot has changed for Xavi and his ideas since first arrived would say.

Home of Barca Fans