Neymar Jr.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Messi's influence when it comes to transfers is overstated. The only time he's seemingly asked for one is last year and now with Neymar, and that's because the club dropped 300m on his replacements that we'll sell for a combined 100m.

And he's probably tired of carrying the attack at the age of almost 33.

serghei

If Messi had that sort of power the club wouldn't have signed Griezmann.

Did I said he dictates all the transfers? No. He does in my opinion try to influence the board into signing his favorites. That's not normal imo, and I wold like Messi to be focused on playing and stay out of club politics.

Also, let's not pretend that Messi's freedom at this club brings only benefits. It also causes a lot of imbalance and positional issues, as well as requires some sacrifices for players around him. If you take Messi out, the team would lose in most areas, obviously, but will also gain in others, also very important. It would simply be a different team, not necessarily weak, still strong, but not built as a platform for one superstar player.

Last edited:

DonAK

Did I said he dictates all the transfers? No. He does in my opinion try to influence the board into signing his favorites. That's not normal imo, and I wold like Messi to be focused on playing and stay out of club politics.

Also, let's not pretend that Messi's freedom at this club brings only benefits. It also causes a lot of imbalance and positional issues, as well as requires some sacrifices for players around him. If you take Messi out, the team would lose in most areas, obviously, but will also gain in others, also very important. It would simply be a different team, not necessarily weak, still strong, but not built as a platform for one superstar player.

Apart from Neymar when has he influenced the board to try to sign his favorites, and whom?

Don't dodge this question now.

When Barca needed a #9 they went after Suarez instead of his buddy Aguero or someone like Higuain. When we needed a LB they signed Firpo instead of Tagliafico.

Messi wasn't the one who told them to sign Griezmann either.

There is nothing to suggest he's ever tried to influence the club's decisions before.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

I like the ideal of a team that is more than sum of its parts. But honestly, Barca's history has never quite been like this. Or Real's for that matter. We're superstar driven clubs, which manifests in incredible highs and also periods of dysfunction when the superstars in question aren't at their apex. Milan was the same way before their collapse.

In fact, Liverpool is the only historical club that I can think of that has had a large amount of success with the 'team is more than the sum of its parts' approach - in their 70s/80s run, the CL runs of 05 and 07, and recently. But as we saw in some of their reactions in the loss to AM, success engenders entitlement and I would be very surprised if this cast of players retains this mentality. In fact, I'm certain they won't.

serghei

[MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION], he said he'd also like Lautaro, not only Neymar. Big surprise, one is his pal from MSN days, and the other his teammate from Argentina.

serghei

I like the ideal of a team that is more than sum of its parts. But honestly, Barca's history has never quite been like this. Or Real's for that matter. We're superstar driven clubs, which manifests in incredible highs and also periods of dysfunction when the superstars in question aren't at their apex. Milan was the same way before their collapse.

In fact, Liverpool is the only historical club that I can think of that has had a large amount of success with the 'team is more than the sum of its parts' approach - in their 70s/80s run, the CL runs of 05 and 07, and recently. But as we saw in some of their reactions in the loss to AM, success engenders entitlement and I would be very surprised if this cast of players retains this mentality. In fact, I'm certain they won't.

Yea, but that was before the prices blew up. Now we can't afford to build a team full of stars, because a team like that could cost you 6-700m. And that only if you manage to convince fellow top 6 clubs to sell you their best players. Which you probably won't.

Do you not remember the Thiago Silva and Verratti saga with PSG? That was us trying to land the best players from PSG at the time. We were met with a big fuck you by the sheiks. Would be the same with City, or with United. Or with Bayern.

You can sign 2-3 stars, no doubt, but the rest of the team has to be constructed with normal top players. The times where you signed peak Dani Alves with 30m. are long gone.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

[MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION], he said he'd also like Lautaro, not only Neymar. Big surprise, one is his pal from MSN days, and the other his teammate from Argentina.

And yet, considering the available options, Lautaro was everyone's favorite option until very recently and maybe is second only to Halaand now (but Halaand comes with Raiola).

Don't see what him being Argentinian has anything to do it. The counter arguments are stronger in this instance. His rapport with Aguero and Higuain was substantially greater than with Suarez at the time of Suarez's signing. Yet, we chose the player who was the best of the 3. So, if you're docking Messi for influencing transfers not conducive to Barcelona success, by the same logic, you have to give him credit for signings that were conducive to Barca success. It's a slippery slope.

DonAK

@DonAK, he said he'd also like Lautaro, not only Neymar. Big surprise, one is his pal from MSN days, and the other his teammate from Argentina.

He was asked by Mundo Deportivo about Lautaro and he replied that he's a great player. What was he supposed to say? :lol:

serghei

And yet, considering the available options, Lautaro was everyone's favorite option until very recently and maybe is second only to Halaand now (but Halaand comes with Raiola).

Sure, but this is besides the point.

He was asked by Mundo Deportivo about Lautaro and he replied that he's a great player. What was he supposed to say? :lol:

Normal standard response. 'He's a great player, and every good player is welcomed'. But then he went and praised Lautaro, saying how spectacular he is, saying how he's like Suarez, basically pleading for us to get him saying how he'd wish they'd come alongside him to win the CL.

That is imo using his influence.

Last edited:

JohnN

Man Sergei you are great and all but really have a thing for Messi. I truly believe that your are too negatively biased against anything he does.

JamDav1982

Barca had tried to sign Aguero before Suarez but was seen as virtually impossible to get from Man City.

Messi definitely likes playing with Lautaro can see it for Argentina.

Barca went for Di Maria as well.

DonAK

Had the club's transfer policy not been so garbage Neymar would have never been considered by the club or Messi himself.

JamDav1982

Had the club's transfer policy not been so garbage Neymar would have never been considered by the club or Messi himself.

Messi loved playing with him clearly and would want him back as there is not anyone else that he has connected with like Neymar on that side of pitch.

It is not as easy to play in a team with Messi as some think and folk used to complain about Neymar trying too many individual actions but his numbers backed it up and he as much as clearly loves playing with Messi was not in awe of him to defer all the time.

DonAK

Messi loved playing with him clearly and would want him back as there is not anyone else that he has connected with like Neymar on that side of pitch.

Yes, but had our signings gone on to do well and successfully replaced Neymar I doubt he would have been an option now. We're having to rely on Ansu who recently turned 17. Suarez has his knee issues. We barely have any wingers. Griezmann is not a great fit unless we do something with Messi's position and even then both Messi and Griezmann are better playing off a #9.

I don't support Messi's decision to publicly call for Neymar to get re-signed, but I can understand why he feel that way.

serghei

Barca had tried to sign Aguero before Suarez but was seen as virtually impossible to get from Man City.

Messi definitely likes playing with Lautaro can see it for Argentina.

Barca went for Di Maria as well.

Yea, imo there's no doubt Messi likes to put a good word and influence the transfer process into bringing players he loves to play with.

I don't support Messi's decision to publicly call for Neymar to get re-signed, but I can understand why he feel that way.

But do you see it as yet another case where veterans have grown to be too powerful in this club, and are middling into areas they have no business getting involved into?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans